Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, Barclays.

tag
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wow, Barclays.

i had my account closed after having a 0 balance for a year and a half on my apple card because when i called in for an app for another one of their products they were reviewing my application and they came back saying they cant approve it and they are closing my current account have a good day. I was pissed but whatever, I just had my salliemae card changed over to their rewards MC so we will see if they close that one now since its a higher CL

amazon
Message 11 of 50
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

OP, you need to know that Barclays is INQ sensitive.

Message 12 of 50
OwNt
New Contributor

Barclays is inquiry and new account sensitive. If you combine low scores, risky behavior, and a nervous lender, this is typically what happens.

I recently opened up a 20k line with them, and even with a high score, I won't be taking unnecessary risks.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 13 of 50
logan_720
Established Contributor

@OwNt wrote:

Barclays is inquiry and new account sensitive. If you combine low scores, risky behavior, and a nervous lender, this is typically what happens.

I recently opened up a 20k line with them, and even with a high score, I won't be taking unnecessary risks.

I'm sorry. I'm going to have to correct you. My scores are all 700+. Currently, my utilization is at about 5%. I was not aware that asking for a credit limit was considered "risky behavior" nor was I aware that dumping sub prime lenders, for prime lenders was also considered as such. 

Message 14 of 50
YahComb
Established Contributor

asking for a cli is not a big issue. But were you opening tons of new accounts since acquiring your barclays card? in that instance asking for a cli from a known twitchy lender like barclays can be dangerous. you said you apped for "what you wanted" well did you just want 1 or 2 more cards, or what?

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 15 of 50
guydiver
Established Contributor

That is a whole lot of accounts to be playing roulette with Barclays, and for the most part they are lower limits with decent but not excellent Fico scores.  You pulled on the tiger's tail and got bit.  Like another poster stated, Barclay's is known to be less than forgiving and reading your siggy would make me think twice, or maybe more times before rattling their cage.Smiley Sad 

Message 16 of 50
HiLine
Blogger

It seems to me that there's some other reason your account got closed. Please let us know what you find out by calling them tomorrow. Good luck! 

Message 17 of 50
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I can see them doing that to a person that doesn't mind a ding on their credit then that person saying "fine. you closed my account... then your not getting paid!"

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 18 of 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'm starting to get irritated with barclay's too. Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 19 of 50
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

I just opened a Baryclay's account. OP did you ever find out why your account was closed? From the looks of your post history it seems you opened alot of new accounts and/or requested a few limit increases. I'm just trying to find out so i don't make the same mistake. I had 0 INQ's on TU at time of approval and play to keep it that way. Only cards opened in the past year for me have been Best Buy and Chase. They will both be at the one year mark by the end of the year tho. 

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.