tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: X1 Card

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@ZAWARUDO wrote:

Someone on YouTube has the card.

X1 Credit Card Unboxing -- I got the first X1 Card ever made!

Thank you for mentioning this.

Links to content from professional YouTubers like that guy invite extra scrutiny and risk being removed, which per the mod comment is exactly what happened here.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 71 of 81
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I received this update today.

X1.jpg

Message 72 of 81
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

I completely forgot about this card. Still in the very very low on the wait list.

However, can someone remind me why I would bother with this card again? They want to access to you bank accounts? See your paystub?

Why would I get this over the Apple card?

Message 73 of 81
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@PDXoriginal wrote:

I completely forgot about this card. Still in the very very low on the wait list.

However, can someone remind me why I would bother with this card again?

They want to access to your bank accounts? See your paystub?

<sigh> ... do we really need to tell you after reading the ad?  Smiley Tongue 

Because it's the smartest credit card ever made. 

.... Whatever that means.

(... So the inference is that getting it makes you smart ... )  Smiley Wink

X1_card_ad.jpg

Plus ... it's 17 grams pure stainless steel.

While the Apple card <snicker> is just a pathetic 14.75 grams of titanium.  Lol Smiley LOL

And heavier cards rock. 

Plus ... you get "higher limits" because you let them watch your bank account.   So there's that.  Apple won't watch your bank account for you. 

And ... for every month you work for them getting all your friends and acquaintances to not only sign up but also get approved, you "unlock" 4% for 30 days.  (I wonder what that hourly rate works out to and how many friends you'll alienate?)  Smiley Indifferent

Seriously, the X1 card does give you a minimum of 2% cash back, which Apple Card does not do.  (Apple is only 1% cash back whenever you use the physical card.)  However, the other flat-2% or higher cards don't make you share your banking information.  

Sorry enthusiasts, but overall I'm still not impressed.   In particular, the whole privacy issue still concerns me, and I don't see anything there I really need. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 74 of 81
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@PDXoriginal wrote:

However, can someone remind me why I would bother with this card again?

They want to access to your bank accounts? See your paystub?

<sigh> ... do we really need to tell you after reading the ad?  Smiley Tongue 

Because it's the smartest credit card ever made. 

.... Whatever that means.

(... So the inference is that getting it makes you smart ... )  Smiley Wink

X1_card_ad.jpg

Plus ... it's 17 grams pure stainless steel.

While the Apple card <snicker> is just a pathetic 14.75 grams of titanium.  Lol Smiley LOL

And heavier cards rock. 

Plus ... you get "higher limits" because you let them watch your bank account.   So there's that.  Apple won't watch your bank account for you. 

And ... for every month you work for them getting all your friends and acquaintances to not only sign up but also get approved, you "unlock" 4% for 30 days.  (I wonder what that hourly rate works out to and how many friends you'll alienate?)  Smiley Indifferent

Seriously, the X1 card does give you a minimum of 2% cash back, which Apple Card does not do.  (Apple is only 1% cash back whenever you use the physical card.)  However, the other flat-2% or higher cards don't make you share your banking information.  

Sorry enthusiasts, but overall I'm still not impressed.   In particular, the whole privacy issue still concerns me, and I don't see anything there I really need. 

But Jared Leto is investing!  That implies it is a good financial product, right?  Right?

Message 75 of 81
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, 2% base cash back, plus if you focus on it and get $15,000 spend, it becomes a 3% card, with no AF. I don't want to go after AOD, but there's no denying a 3% all around card is interesting. I have probably too many high-AF cards that earn well in specific situations, but are a chore to maintain them all.

Plus, as a MyFico Guinea Pig, I need to see what sort of credit limit I get, once this is released. 

I see the X1 as another innovation in credit cards, similar to AMEX adding Plan It and extending cardmember offers, and the launch of Apple Card as more banks try to make the credit card space interesting. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 76 of 81
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Isn't this card that does not pull your credit, but rather extends credit based on a job and bank account ??

Message 77 of 81
NRB525
Super Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

Isn't this card that does not pull your credit, but rather extends credit based on a job and bank account ??

Soft pull, according to Nerd Wallet, so there is a basic review of some credit info. Yes, a payroll stub or job offer letter is used in the credit application process. Which makes me wonder how Nerd Wallet thinks this will be a good card for students. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 78 of 81
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Well, 2% base cash back, plus if you focus on it and get $15,000 spend, it becomes a 3% card, with no AF. I don't want to go after AOD, but there's no denying a 3% all around card is interesting. I have probably too many high-AF cards that earn well in specific situations, but are a chore to maintain them all.

Plus, as a MyFico Guinea Pig, I need to see what sort of credit limit I get, once this is released. 

I see the X1 as another innovation in credit cards, similar to AMEX adding Plan It and extending cardmember offers, and the launch of Apple Card as more banks try to make the credit card space interesting. 

Yes, a base 2% with the opportunity to earn 3% is great!  I don't mean to diminish the potential rewards.  And I'm interested to see the experience of those My Fico Guinea Pigs

In my case, I have five other cards earning between 2% and 3% uncapped on uncategorized spend already, so the only added value is the potential to temporarily get 4% if I want to market their card.    (AOD FCU, BofA PR, CFU+CSR, PF PCR, GS Apple.)

I guess this also reminds me of the Apple card frenzy, which I allowed myself to get caught up in.   It's been an interesting card to experiment with, but overall it's more of a regret card for me in hindsight.   I don't really want to have so many choices of cards in the same earning categories, and the Apple card is down the list on overall uncategorized rewards for me.   I also thought they would be a little more generous with those "high limits" like the X1 is promising, but they've proven to be pretty conservative about that. 

But the privacy concerns for me are huge.  I'm concerned about that as-a-whole these days and with a tech start-up company like this, I see the potential for data mining if I give them access to my banking. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 79 of 81
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

There is no way I am going to provide X1 with my paystubs.

They are welcome to check my credit report. I have great credit and have never been denied for a card. I will not jump through hoops for them.

Message 80 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.