cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YTD's and lifetime spend on store cards. A downer.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

YTD's and lifetime spend on store cards. A downer.

There's significant $$ saved I've missed out on by not moving spend to a quicksilver or even a Chase Freedom 1% off category. When the deals were hot I was pretty good researching those,
like discover 2x, and/or portals. With store cards I used to use those cards only when they had special financing, but early on I was using them to try and build history and score increases which doesn't always help. There is no emotion sway or loyalty guarantee for credit line increases. A perfect example of this is last year when we did the floors in the house. For the huge amount of supplies yes I put it on the Lowes card. BUT… all of the odds and ends and subsequent trips for tools, fittings, cleaning supplies I was also putting on the Lowe's card… sure 5% helps,
but home depot is cheaper anyway. Point is I could have used something else. At lowes anything under $300 you have to pay off by next month or its 29.99. Might as well use rewards bank card.

The point to this is after the honeymoon Is over with a new card,
its spending bonus and the subsequent points/cash back, keep powering through. Do not use store cards unless it is for a big purchase and you are no longer in a 0% period. Exclusively use your bank cards. Even off categories over time it adds up, and it is not as evident unless you do it wrong and see your data. :[ yes it's common sense when you're at a computer at home but when you're out shopping it can slip your mind, you were just trying to get out of there you know.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: YTD's and lifetime spend on store cards. A downer.

@Anonymous wrote:
There's significant $$ saved I've missed out on by not moving spend to a quicksilver or even a Chase Freedom 1% off category. When the deals were hot I was pretty good researching those,
like discover 2x, and/or portals. With store cards I used to use those cards only when they had special financing, but early on I was using them to try and build history and score increases which doesn't always help. There is no emotion sway or loyalty guarantee for credit line increases. A perfect example of this is last year when we did the floors in the house. For the huge amount of supplies yes I put it on the Lowes card. BUT… all of the odds and ends and subsequent trips for tools, fittings, cleaning supplies I was also putting on the Lowe's card… sure 5% helps,
but home depot is cheaper anyway. Point is I could have used something else. At lowes anything under $300 you have to pay off by next month or its 29.99. Might as well use rewards bank card.

The point to this is after the honeymoon Is over with a new card,
its spending bonus and the subsequent points/cash back, keep powering through. Do not use store cards unless it is for a big purchase and you are no longer in a 0% period. Exclusively use your bank cards. Even off categories over time it adds up, and it is not as evident unless you do it wrong and see your data. :[ yes it's common sense when you're at a computer at home but when you're out shopping it can slip your mind, you were just trying to get out of there you know.

I think this is too strong.   I view store cards just like anything else, use it for this transaction if it gives the best total rewards (which includes considerations of "Is it cheaper elsewhere?")    For example, if I didn't use discounted Target giftcards, I would certainly use my debit redcard there to get 5%, when Target is the cheapest (convenient) place.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course target is 5% off but a quart of motor oil is 7 bucks and 5qt is 15 at walmart. When all things are equal using the bank card over cash if you are paying it off it's better, can't argue that either.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

We all have such strong opinions on here (which is good an sometimes iffy)

I use my store cards over bankcards AEO for example one gets 4% cash back for using the store card when I'd get 1% for using my other cards.. I combine the 4% with ebates for maximum value.

I have one store card that offers no rewards unless you consider 0% interest a reward which you have covered with bankcards, I use it because I know someone in Iowa is going to answer the phone when I call and help me with whatever issue I may have.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.