Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, you too can join PSECU and find out your EX FICO score! --well, maybe

tag
chris288
Regular Contributor

Re: Yes, you too can join PSECU and find out your EX FICO score! --well, maybe

Well I was just told there is no way to become a member of this credit union if you do not live in PA.  I joined the parks and recreation ( separately before going to PSECU).

They said if I have a friend or family member, or live in PA.

Does anyone know how to join and or apply for their products if you dont live in PA?

Message 721 of 731
oracles
Valued Contributor

@chris288 wrote:

Well I was just told there is no way to become a member of this credit union if you do not live in PA.  I joined the parks and recreation ( separately before going to PSECU).

They said if I have a friend or family member, or live in PA.

Does anyone know how to join and or apply for their products if you dont live in PA?

A friend or family member what?

Message 722 of 731
chris288
Regular Contributor

My bad, it is a family member only related by blood.  It does show if you are a member of the Parks and Recreation, but when I called they said you still have to be a PA resident.

Does anyone know a way around this?  I would love to be a member of this CU.  They pull EX and mine is a 795.

Thanks

Message 723 of 731
vish1
Valued Contributor

@chris288 wrote:

My bad, it is a family member only related by blood.  It does show if you are a member of the Parks and Recreation, but when I called they said you still have to be a PA resident.

Does anyone know a way around this?  I would love to be a member of this CU.  They pull EX and mine is a 795.

Thanks

Very interesting! If you have 795 EX credit score, what do you want from PSECU? I don't think they have any good credit card (unless they recently started some good card).

I also wonder where did you get your EX score? Most people actually join PSECU to find out their EX score as there is no other easy way to do so.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 724 of 731
quest208
Frequent Contributor

maybe you have friends or family in PA?

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 725 of 731
chris288
Regular Contributor

I am interested in PSECU because I have heard they have generous credit lines and pull EX.  Currently I have 2 CL with USAA and Pentagon... both 20k a piece.  I would like to have 2 or 3 more CL in that range.

Another reason is because of the true EX score.  I just took with EX gave me and my Vantage score from Transunion and averaged a 795.  So I do not know if its accurate or not.

I know mine has to be high as I have no bad marks and 6 accounts with less that 2% revolving credit.

I wish I had a family member in PA.  LOL

Message 726 of 731
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

As a housekeeping request, would it be possible to simply lock this thread?  It's well out of date and while it was applicable back in 2010, as Hauling edited on the first post, PSECU changed their policy in 6/2011 to where you're mostly stuck living in PA to get residence.

For those who don't read the fine print all the time (myself included) would it be possible to prevent the constant raising this thread from the dead?  The PSECU EX offering is part of the common forum lore at this point anyway.

        
Message 727 of 731
creditballer
Regular Contributor

thanks for this info...

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

edit to add: as of 06/01/2011, the PRPS membership only works if you're a resident of Pennsylvania. Smiley Sad

Another organization has popped up that might work. You can skip to screen 43 (or later) to learn about this latest twist.

edited 6/10/2011

OK, now that one's a dud. Looks like this CU will wind up being pretty much restricted to Pennsylvania residents in most cases. Skip to this post.

Edited again 6/14/2011

PSECU has added a new qualifying organization. And I think it must be in response to all those who want to join to access their EX score, because it's a separate category on their site.

Go to www.psecu.org, click Join PSECU, click again on join PSECU (this time it's an option on a page), and click "Launch Application."

Enter your social and DOB.

I can't go farther, since I've already joined, but there is now a separate category called something like "Friend of Pennsylvania Recreation and Park Society or interested in joining." Click that, and sign up. It costs $20, and it says that your membership won't start until 1/1/2011, but it seems to be enough to do the job for PSECU membership. I think I clicked that I was interested in trails or something, but my category is "friend." I entered my out-of-state home and work addresses.

Then go back to the PSECU site and do the same as above, and this time enter that you're a member of PRPS. Sign up for share (you have to do this; it's how credit unions work) and checking <--you need checking or a credit product to see your score! I also signed up for online account access. You have to authorize a $6 pull from your bank ($5 for the share/ savings account and $1 for checking) There's a hard inq (don't know which, and I don't care), and you wait, and boom, you're in.

Oh, and when it asks if you want to print out your app or have them mail it to you, write down your new membership number first, because you won't be able to get back to it. Smiley Tongue I'll have to call in the morning.

It took for-absolutely-ever for me to go through the whole process, because I'm away from home and using a hotel internet access, but I suspect also that they're already bogged down from those who've discovered this.

Just a general plea to all: after all the posts I've read over the last three (wow, three, really??) years about joining frenzies for Justice FCU and CCCU and PenFed and Alliant and all the others: things will bog down. It will take time. Be patient. Be kind to the CSR's who probably don't know what's about to hit them. Don't call and pester and beg about CC's and auto loans and whatever. Let them process all the apps through and get to you when they can. They're just chumps like you and I, making $10.50 an hour or whatever, and they don't need a bunch of hysterical phone calls. Give it time!

As long as we can FINALLY!!! see our EX FICO's again, I can certainly wait for any additional goodies. Smiley Happy

Thumbs up to both PSECU and to Pennsylvania Recreation and Parks, who now has a handy income stream to keep their no-doubt-wonderful state park system going. Hey, California tried to legalize pot, just so they could tax it and keep the budget afloat, so it's not the oddest source of funding ever known.

And many thanks to my pm buddy who clued me in on this! Smiley Wink

edited to fix name of qualifying org, which is Recreation and Park, not Park and Recreation.

edited again to clarify the importance of signing up for checking (or applying for credit, which didn't come up on my application process) to see your EX FICO score. Thanks to gbishere for pointing this out!

Last App Oct 2013...applied and received Amex PRG and Blue Sky!
FICO -Walmart = 779
Credit Karma = 781
EX-766, EQ 772, TU-759
Goal: 800
Message 728 of 731
MYBEST
New Contributor

Thank you creditballer because of you I will now be able to see my Experian fico score again! I went rite to the site (PSECU) and signed up for a savings share account and checking and was approved and let in my account with in 5 min Smiley Happy
EQ Starting Score: 584 | TU Starting Score: 547
EQ Current Score: 650 | TU Current Score: 643 | EX Current Score: 643
EQ Goal Score: 700 | TU Goal Score: 700 | EX Goal Score: 700
***Staying*** " with prayer that is " with in the garden and no (more) applying until mid-end of 2015!

Message 729 of 731
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MYBEST - Im confused, the post seemed to just be quoting information form 2011? Did you just sign up recently? Are you a state resident?

Message 730 of 731
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.