Did you mean: 

Yet another comeity shutdown!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Yet another comeity shutdown!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

...folks who have a LOT of cards, people who've been hitting the CLI buttons too enthusiastically, people who've opened cards (many with generous CL's) but not made any significant use of them...

Yep, this is very true.  Every time you receive a CLI, the lending bank has to have a reserve of cash set aside to cover any future charges you make (even if you PIF, they still have to pay the vendor).  

On top of this, even a superprime bank like Amex has recently had charge-offs jump up to 1.7% of accounts, which is a significant number if you consider the category of borrowers that Amex aims for.

Synchrony and CapOne recently announced a major jump in charge-offs, so it wouldn't surprise me if Comenity has similar issues with tight reserve capital versus charge-offs.  Charge-offs have already been paid to the vendors, so tightening capital reserves means CLD or closing accounts of anyone who isn't a profitable customer.

All banks and lenders have a value for every customer -- some customers are huge profit points, some only cost the bank money.  Every new account costs the lender money (issuing new cards, issuing statements, reserving capital for future purchases, etc) -- but also every phone call a customer makes costs the bank money, etc. 

So if you're a red line on the bank's profit line, AA isn't a surprise eventually, especially in a tightening market.

That bolded part, to my way of thinking, is the most important part. As you say, everything associated with an account costs the issuer money to service or maintain. That includes having to process CLI's. It would seem to me that it actually ends up costing the issuer more when they have to process a CLI manually due to a call from the accountholder requesting one, whether or not it's approved, and if you have a customer with a history of frequently requesting big CLI's by calling Credit Solutions or whatever that they have to work on, I should think that it raises the profile of that customer when the issuer gets around to looking at who among their customer base is costing them more money than they think is appropriate.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, I sometimes wonder whether the practice of always PIF'ing may not sometimes end up boomeranging on the accountholder in the end. The thing is that credit card issuers make a key share of their profits from the interest they earn on the balances that accountholders carry, particularly if those cards aren't carrying AF's or other regular fees, and if a customer always pays in full, that cuts back a lot on the interest the issuers earn, i.e., the customer's account is less profitable to them.

Message 31 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That bolded part, to my way of thinking, is the most important part.

Exactly how I feel.

A good friend for many decades owns a small chain of community banks (family owned for 70 years or something) and I've had a small account there since the early 90s.  When I recently visited him for coffee he pulled up my account on his desk computer at the office and the screen was facing me and I saw a big gigantic red font that showed a negative number and I asked him if I was overdrawn and he laughed and said "no, but you called to make a bunch of wire transfers a few years ago and we cost all of those phone calls on our customer profit/loss listing and you're a big loss to us" and then he laughed again a few times.

So even my phone calls to start wire transfers or confirm receipts were all added up (5 minute calls, probably 40 of them over the period of a few years way back when) and since I didn't make the bank any major profits, my calls ended up costing the bank more than the wire transfer fees!

Message 32 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That bolded part, to my way of thinking, is the most important part.

Exactly how I feel.

A good friend for many decades owns a small chain of community banks (family owned for 70 years or something) and I've had a small account there since the early 90s.  When I recently visited him for coffee he pulled up my account on his desk computer at the office and the screen was facing me and I saw a big gigantic red font that showed a negative number and I asked him if I was overdrawn and he laughed and said "no, but you called to make a bunch of wire transfers a few years ago and we cost all of those phone calls on our customer profit/loss listing and you're a big loss to us" and then he laughed again a few times.

So even my phone calls to start wire transfers or confirm receipts were all added up (5 minute calls, probably 40 of them over the period of a few years way back when) and since I didn't make the bank any major profits, my calls ended up costing the bank more than the wire transfer fees!

Whoa. Now that's what I call an object lesson that literally everything a bank has to do to service your account costs money!

You know, it's one thing to never pay more interest on an account than you have to. That's sensible. But when one takes things like the above into account, it seems clear - to me anyway - that the attitude that one should never, ever pay interest on a credit-card account if you can avoid it, can end up causing problems for both the accountholder and the issuer down the road.  I wonder how such people will feel if or when they have their accounts closed on them and, after a long hard struggle to find out why, the answer comes back, "we're very sorry, but your account was costing more to maintain than we were recouping or earning".

Message 33 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
  I wonder how such people will feel if or when they have their accounts closed on them and, after a long hard struggle to find out why, the answer comes back, "we're very sorry, but your account was costing more to maintain than we were recouping or earning".

The crazy part is that some customers who are a permanent continuing loss on a bank's profit-loss sheet are actually more valuable than someone who is paying $1000 a year in interest.

How so?

Well, banks collaterize accounts to other capital lenders, so if they have a few superprime customers who cost the bank $250 a year in losses, those customers may help collaterize the debts of other customers who are generating $500 a year in profits by decreasing a group's overall risk.  So a guy with an 850 FICO08 who costs a bank $250 a year overall may help bump down a group's overall risk so the lender can sell them as a group to a capital lender.

It's a lot of shell games here, of course, and we can never know how banks group different risk participants (even publicly traded banks don't tell you much since their risk abatement is proprietary trade secret).

Just because you may cost your lender profits doesn't mean they don't love you.  Maybe they'll give you a higher limit anyway just so your collateralization group has an even lower risk profile when they resell to investors.

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.