Did you mean: 

You Guys Have me Terrified of AMEX

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: You Guys Have me Terrified of AMEX

It was you!!!! Smiley Tongue

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 21 of 34
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@eviLution wrote:

My wife put my Amex in her wallet and she got pregnant. Be very careful of this lender guys......

OK.. even I laughed at this one.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 22 of 34
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@OptimasPrime wrote:

In all seriousness, you have nothing to worry about provided you accurately stated income on the app (within reason) and follow relatively normal spending patterns. Buy what you want to buy, pay on time and you will have no issues with amex.

For every f/r horror story floating around on these boards, there are 1,000+ happy amex members who have never even heard of a financial review before. 

Best...AMEX...comment...EVER.

+100000000000000000000

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 23 of 34
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I understand....I am terrified of them as well. I just got two cards with them last month and I am really excited about that but I worry about the stories I read here sometimes. I'm not worried if they FR me because everything is on the up and up but I don't want to be somewhere trying to charge something and just get cut off. When I was approved on the phone for the BCE, the csr told me to put everything on the card. She rolled off groceries, gas, entertainment, etc. Then she said medical bills and just anything! I thought to myself  "now way...that's not what they say on myfico forums" *lol*  I have been running everything throught it just so they see all the places I go. Cat LOL

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 24 of 34
codimom
Frequent Contributor

take a breath.

Use your Amex, pay off your Amex, lather, rinse, repeat.  Take care of them, they will take care of you.

There is ALWAYS a reason for AA with Amex.  I've learned that from reading here.  Be responsible with your credit.  They will grow with you.

I have a BCE.  I use it in place of my debit card.  Pay it in full either right after or a bit before the statement cuts (depends on my other card usage)

AFTER I got my BCE, I got 2 other new cards... a rewards visa from Alliant Credit union with a 10k limit and a Discover more (now pc'd to an IT) with a 7500 cl.  Neither Amex nor Barclays have batted an eye about the new accounts. Oh and I do have 2 very old medical collections on my file.

so, as with anything in life, ymmv.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 25 of 34
codimom
Frequent Contributor

@eviLution wrote:

My wife put my Amex in her wallet and she got pregnant. Be very careful of this lender guys......

ya know?  diet coke HURTS when you snort it through your nose... good one.....

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 26 of 34
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Always carry a backup and make sure you never have to depend on their credit.    Then it won't matter much, whatever they do.

Message 27 of 34
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

That's awful Wolf. I know it's true, but wow. I mean, you get a credit card and hope for dependability on the road, on a trip, in rough times. Then you come to find out when you really need it, you can't depend on it.

Why people like this card so much is a mystery to me? It's like the Range Rover. The thing is a 4x4 but if you try to actually use it as one it has a reputation for breaking down in the boonies. Yet people keep buying them.

Message 28 of 34
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

That's awful Wolf. I know it's true, but wow. I mean, you get a credit card and hope for dependability on the road, on a trip, in rough times. Then you come to find out when you really need it, you can't depend on it.

Why people like this card so much is a mystery to me? It's like the Range Rover. The thing is a 4x4 but if you try to actually use it as one it has a reputation for breaking down in the boonies. Yet people keep buying them.

It would be foolish to consider this an Amex exclusive issue.  Any network can block transactions, be it MC, Visa or Disco.  A decline itself is not indicative of account closure/AA/FR.  The whole issuing network could have failed.  That's when you use another card on a alternate carrier..

Message 29 of 34
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@eviLution wrote:

OK.. even I laughed at this one.  Smiley Happy

Rofl Smiley Surprised

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.