Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're approved! ... Sort of.

tag
sr383
Regular Contributor

You're approved! ... Sort of.

In the wake of the Target security breach, US Bank sent me another Cash Rewards card with the same $4,500 limit I had before. Really, guys? You couldn't tack another $500 and make it a Cash+?

I was going to leave this account alone (since it's only 3 months old), but getting a new card that I didn't really want kind of galled me, so I called 'em up and asked for a PC to Cash+. The CSR checked and said I was approved for the Cash+ ... but, no ... my limit is too low. "You must have at least a $5,000 limit, so you'll need a credit line increase first."

So, she asked for my salary and asked whether I rent or own and what my mortgage payment is, and that was that. She said I'll get an answer by mail in 7-10 days. I don't know if I tacitly authorized a hard pull, or not.

I don't need a higher limit. And it's not like I'm dying for 5% back at restaurants and burger joints--it's just the idea that I applied for one card and got something else that has me all bothered.

Just don't go crazy here, guys. I sure don't need Barclay or AMEX asking questions. Smiley Frustrated

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: You're approved! ... Sort of.

it should be a HP.

try calling their backdoor number tomorrow. they're generally pretty quick about processing apps and CLI requests.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 18
newUser0
Established Contributor

Wish you a good luck on your Approval

Message 3 of 18
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Good luck. Once you have the cash+, you can start planning how your going to obtain the new US Bank Amex card they will be releasing in the Fall.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 18
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@sr383 wrote:

In the wake of the Target security breach, US Bank sent me another Cash Rewards card with the same $4,500 limit I had before. Really, guys? You couldn't tack another $500 and make it a Cash+?

I was going to leave this account alone (since it's only 3 months old), but getting a new card that I didn't really want kind of galled me, so I called 'em up and asked for a PC to Cash+. The CSR checked and said I was approved for the Cash+ ... but, no ... my limit is too low. "You must have at least a $5,000 limit, so you'll need a credit line increase first."

So, she asked for my salary and asked whether I rent or own and what my mortgage payment is, and that was that. She said I'll get an answer by mail in 7-10 days. I don't know if I tacitly authorized a hard pull, or not.

I don't need a higher limit. And it's not like I'm dying for 5% back at restaurants and burger joints--it's just the idea that I applied for one card and got something else that has me all bothered.

Just don't go crazy here, guys. I sure don't need Barclay or AMEX asking questions. Smiley Frustrated

If you do not qualify for the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card, you will automatically be considered for the U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa Card that earns 1% cash back on all net purchases, but does not offer the 5% and 2% Cash+ Categories or the $25 Cash+ Bonus once per calendar year.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 18
RockySC
Established Member

Is this card still only really possible to sign up for at an actual physical branch? Also, what is the average credit score that even gets the Cash Plus card?

Message 6 of 18
sr383
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Good luck. Once you have the cash+, you can start planning how your going to obtain the new US Bank Amex card they will be releasing in the Fall.

It will be interesting to see the terms. Like you, I tend to chase cash back rather than mileage and points. (Wish I'd discovered the Priceline card before it was too late.)

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 7 of 18
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

it should be a HP.

try calling their backdoor number tomorrow. they're generally pretty quick about processing apps and CLI requests.

+1 I think your app is definitely getting a manual review. Call the backdoor as soon as the oofice opens and ask for 500 increase if possible (I hear US Bank is very conservative)

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 18
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

Is this card still only really possible to sign up for at an actual physical branch? Also, what is the average credit score that even gets the Cash Plus card?

I believe so

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

As was already stated, you need a recon. Two points I have read is that US Bank likes $30K for income and five years credit experience (that said there have been comments that seem to contradict this). Good luck. My app for this card was with a pre-approved offer which I took to a branch where it took two days for approval (manual review) then my only credit line increase was after one year by telephone with a soft pull.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.