Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Advice: Best Credit Card

tag
credit8502020
Established Contributor

Re: Your Advice: Best Credit Card

@Harvey26 wrote:

@credit8502020I have never heard of those score models. But does she have any active accounts with chase? If not then she could maybe open a small savings to see the prequalified offers. Usually while open the account they will tell you or can ask and they can submit the app right then and there.

Ok. No, she doesn't have any active accounts with Chase. She has a meeting scheduled with them in the morning so I'll definitely post an update. If they give any indication that she may not be preapproved, she may just apply for the CU card first. They actually have a $200 bonus for opening an account with a direct deposit, but I don't know yet if she'll want to switch her direct deposit to Chase. 

Message 41 of 63
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@Harvey26 If my Mother decides to apply for the CFU card tomorrow, how long should she wait before applying for the other CU 2% card? I'm specifically asking because I read a couple of places about how Chase is sensitive to customers opening other credit cards after opening with them. I don't want them to close her account if she applies for both tomorrow or within a certain timeframe. 

Message 42 of 63
NRB525
Super Contributor

Taking a try at Chase May yield a CC, or it may go for review with the combination of just now opening the savings/checking and a card app. 

Getting one CU card soon after is unlikely to cause any AA. 

Just make sure it's only these two cards while establishing the accounts. 6 months to a year til next personal app.

The business credit was a reference earlier.  What do you have in mind there?  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 43 of 63
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@credit8502020one more card will be fine I am sure she hasnt applied for any new cards in quite a while.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 44 of 63
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Taking a try at Chase May yield a CC, or it may go for review with the combination of just now opening the savings/checking and a card app. 

Just make sure it's only these two cards while establishing the accounts. 6 months to a year til next personal app.

Thank you for your feedback! Do you think it's best to apply for the Chase card or CU card first? I'm almost inclined to just have her apply for the CU 2% card and skip the Chase Card because of the 1.5% and just focus on PenFed or SDFCU. The only reason I was considering the Chase Card was because it was a cash back card and the $200 bonus, but I don't know if it's really worth it....especially if she is going to ideally need to wait 6 months-1 yr for another application. My goal is for her to quickly have credit cards that she will be more likely to get higher limits with as soon as possible. This is all more in preparation for future spending and other plans. Do you know which cc are more likely to be generous with higher credit limits? 

I'm helping her start a new business soon. So as I'm helping her get new personal credit cards and establish new banking relationships, I'm keeping that in mind. Ideally it would be nice for her next bank to have other great products (credit cards, strong lending options, etc.).

She was going to open a NFCU account the other day, but now I'm reconsidering that and trying to make sure she moves some of her funds to the next best bank for her overall goals. If the bank, doesn't have strong business products as well, that's ok. In the meantime, she can just move funds to a bank that has overall great personal banking products/services.

Message 45 of 63
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@credit8502020one more card will be fine I am sure she hasnt applied for any new cards in quite a while.

Ok. Thank you! Would you apply for the Chase or CU card first? Her last card was a store card in August of last year that she rarely uses.

Message 46 of 63
NRB525
Super Contributor

@credit8502020 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Thank you for your feedback! Do you think it's best to apply for the Chase card or CU card first? I'm almost inclined to just have her apply for the CU 2% card and skip the Chase Card because of the 1.5% and just focus on PenFed or SDFCU. The only reason I was considering the Chase Card was because it was a cash back card and the $200 bonus, but I don't know if it's really worth it....especially if she is going to ideally need to wait 6 months-1 yr for another application. My goal is for her to quickly have credit cards that she will be more likely to get higher limits with as soon as possible. This is all more in preparation for future spending and other plans. Do you know which cc are more likely to be generous with higher credit limits? 

I'm helping her start a new business soon. So as I'm helping her get new personal credit cards and establish new banking relationships, I'm keeping that in mind. Ideally it would be nice for her next bank to have other great products (credit cards, strong lending options, etc.).

She was going to open a NFCU account the other day, but now I'm reconsidering that and trying to make sure she moves some of her funds to the next best bank for her overall goals. If the bank, doesn't have strong business products as well, that's ok. In the meantime, she can just move funds to a bank that has overall great personal banking products/services.

Yeah, as I noted earlier, as a New Card Expander, my suggestion is she just get one CU card, and stop there. If it's 2% everywhere, that's going to be really hard to beat with any of the more specialized cards. 

Some of us enjoy managing multiple cards. However it's not normal behavior, and any card applicant ultimately has to be prepared to manage all the cards s/he applies for. So getting her into PenFed and a good all-around CC makes sense. Anything beyond that, I'd give it a year to let her see how things go, let her decide what next steps she want to take. PenFed is an excellent place to have the card, and to make her available for other borrowing in one place.

Chase is a fine bank, but it's another bank, and the same comments about managing multiple cards, that the person needs to own that, applies there. A checking / savings account in Chase may be appropriate.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 47 of 63
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yeah, as I noted earlier, as a New Card Expander, my suggestion is she just get one CU card, and stop there. If it's 2% everywhere, that's going to be really hard to beat with any of the more specialized cards. 

Some of us enjoy managing multiple cards. However it's not normal behavior, and any card applicant ultimately has to be prepared to manage all the cards s/he applies for. So getting her into PenFed and a good all-around CC makes sense. Anything beyond that, I'd give it a year to let her see how things go, let her decide what next steps she want to take. PenFed is an excellent place to have the card, and to make her available for other borrowing in one place.

Chase is a fine bank, but it's another bank, and the same comments about managing multiple cards, that the person needs to own that, applies there. A checking / savings account in Chase may be appropriate.

Ok. Thank you! 

Message 48 of 63
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@credit8502020 wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

Ok. Thank you! Would you apply for the Chase or CU card first? Her last card was a store card in August of last year that she rarely uses.

Apply for the card she wants the most first.

Message 49 of 63
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

Apply for the card she wants the most first.

Thank you for your feedback.

Message 50 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.