Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Easiest and Hardest Cards

tag
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Re: Your Easiest and Hardest Cards

Huh, I hadn’t thought of upgrading as a possibility. Aren’t credit card companies required to wait at least a year before upgrading cards to a higher AF? Regardless, if it does work out, please keep us posted! I’ve been eyeing that card for a long time, and I’m only an hour away from the office. It’s just the stringent requirements that have always deterred me.

As far as the OP’s question:

Some of the cards I’ve been denied for include the Citi Best Buy, Citi Simplicity (twice), and the Citi DC. Amex had also denied me for the Delta Blue and Amex Gold (approved on recon). The denials all happened before I really knew what I was doing.

Some other cards were instantly approved including the CSR, Venture, etc. I did have to recon the Chase SW card (didn’t have this forum and applied for 3 Chase cards in one week, was eventually approved for all 3 after recon). I also had to move credit for some of my other Chase cards, while having to call in to verify certain information for the Amex cards.

Regardless, Citi seems to hate me less now, as they approved me for the Citi Premier, which I believe is their hardest card to get before the prestige comes back out. It was a low $2000 limit though, but I’m hoping they’ll give me a CLI in a few months. Getting in with Citi was like pulling teeth, so I hope it’ll all be worth it, haha.

[2/2019]
Message 41 of 45
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I opened 21 cards in 14 months. One of the biggest hurdles was plotting it all out to avoid each issuer's application rules (like 5/24 for chase) while still getting all of the cards I wanted.

That said, the hardest card for me to get was my most recent one, which is actually a stepping stone card to the one I really want: the CNB Crystal card. You can't apply from out of state, and when I started calling reps to lock down a place to apply in person, the first couple (random) bankers I got a hold of told me that you can't apply as an out of state resident, but I knew that wasn't true. Eventually I found a lady who'd work with me. She sent me the app via email and told me to bring it to their office in Vegas. So I flew out to Vegas (trip was largely covered by perks and credits from other cards that I already had) to apply for the Crystal card. I was denied, but they offered me the Visa Signature card, and the banker I'd been dealing with affirmed to me that I'll be able to upgrade to the Crystal eventually - I'm paraphrasing, but she said probably in a couple of months; her tone suggested that she was sure of this. So I just got my CNB Visa Signature in the mail yesterday and am currently playing the waiting game to enact phase 2: upgrading to the Crystal card B).

Definitely the most involved CC application I've ever gone through, but even if I don't get the Crystal ultimately, it's worth the shot to me and I still had a good time in Vegas so it's all good.

Otherwise the most cumbersome thing I've had to do was start a sole proprietorship to get business cards, and I seem to recall the application processes for the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards and Vantage West Connect Rewards cards being somewhat involved as far as emailing back and forth and confirming documentation with the banks - but imo that wasn't too bad. From what I understand Vantage West no longer issues the Connect Rewards card to people who aren't in their service area in Arizona so that'd be a rarer one to get today.

Wow, thats a crazy good story on what a MFer will do to get a credit card lolSmiley Happy. Bravo good sir! Vegas, credit cards,and.....Smiley Wink

Message 42 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbkiang **bleep** dude, I didn't think about that, you might be right I might need to wait a year to upgrade lol. Oh well that's ok as long as I can ultimately get the card. The other possibility is, in a few months, maybe after having some history they'll lemme reapply for the Crystal as a new account and I can get it that way (anecdotally, I've read of someone who had an account with them and was able to apply for a credit card through their online banking portal - not possible if you don't already have an account).
Message 43 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

My discover card....I applied thrice when I was looking for my very first CC. Followed by BofA....

Once I had two CCs, everything was easy. Haven't been denied a CC yet.

Message 44 of 45
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@f4phantom2500

Yikes—though, I have also heard and seen where they allow you to apply online once you have an existing relationship with them.

[2/2019]
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.