Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Starting Line Up of Charge/Credit Cards

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Your Starting Line Up of Charge/Credit Cards

First, GREAT idea to post this thread FIRST!  Smiley Tongue

Look at all of the information in earlier posts and decide which rewards structure works best for you.

I don't qualify for the "prime" benefit cards, but I DO have a simple 2% cash back card that I use the most.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 11 of 50
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

lol thanks! I think it's a fun topic and seeing what people like to have in their wallets Smiley Happy.

Hopefully people will keep on sharing their personal preferences, I think the last post about the black card and that women like that was awesome ! lol

Message 12 of 50
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Funny you mention this, as I was just thinking about how happy I am with my lineup.  I wanted to have a Visa, Mastercard, and AmEx in my wallet.  I carry all 3 in addition to a debit card (just in case I need to use an ATM) so I'm pretty much covered everywhere.

Citi Forward: 5x points on dining, movies, music stores, and book stores.  I purchase a lot of things with my Prime membership through Amazon, which gets the 5x points as a book store.  The 5x back on dining is great for a 22 year old bachelor.

Citi Dividend World Mastercard: used for the 5% rotating categories and have a Hulu subscription auto paying on it to keep it active when I don't use the categories. The 0% APR for 15 months helped me pay for my senior year spring break and furnishing my apartment before getting my first paycheck.  Just two months from paying it all back.  Can't wait to be CC debt-free, and all before the 0% APR runs out!

AmEx Zync: used for EVERYTHING that isn't covered by the Forward or the rotating categories.  Great peace of mind with the benefits and AmEx customer service, and all while buidling a relationship with them.  Will probably app for the PR Gold at the beginning of the year and reap the benefits for a while before PCing to the Green before the AF renews.  Would then close the Zync, as I ultimately want to convert points to miles for a yearly trip somewhere.

All in all I'm very happy with my stable.  Would benefit more from having a BCE or BCP, but I would rather just stick with one of each type, and just prefer the structure of a charge card over that of a credit card.  So the AmEx for me will always be a charge card.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 13 of 50
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Currently I only have 2 cards that I use and they work quite well together. I honestly can't be bothered with rotating categories.

1. Chase Sapphire Preferred: All travel, dining and UR mall spending.

2. Chase United MP Club Card: Everything else

In the next few months I'll probably be adding the Citi Hilton Reserve card to that list. Then it will be:

1. Chase Sapphire Preferred: All travel, dining and UR mall spending.

2. Citi Hilton Reserve: 40k in general/other spending for diamond status, plus all Hilton spend

3. Chase United MP Club Card: All other spending after 40k on the Hilton card

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 50
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Amex zync - use as debit card for everything Chase amazon - backup everything card Nfcu - large purchases / emergency Discover - used for shop discover and travel via expedia link at shopsiscover
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 50
andre181
Established Contributor

Discover More is my go-to card. Everything goes on it except:

• BoA Cash Rewards 123 gets used when a merchant doesn't accept Discover. Also is my gas card when its not 5% on Discover.
  • AMEX PRG is my "travel" card when I don't use Travelocity through ShopDiscover. I don't use this card much so when AF comes due, I'm PCing to Zync.
  • AMEX BCE is pretty much for department stores and groceries only.
  • Citi Forward for Amazon.com and purchases I plan on carrying a balance for a few months. Its my lowest interest card.
  • and finally, Target RedCard at Target. Gotta save that 5% Smiley Happy

And of course, if any of the above happens to be a 5% catagory for Discover and the merchant accepts Discover, that charge goes on Discover.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 16 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently I'm nearly exclusively using my Sapphire Preferred to hit the signup bonus.  After that it's going to be:

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Dining, Travel, UR Bonus Mall

American Express Green: Everything Else

Message 17 of 50
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Currently, I use:

US Bank Cash + Visa - bill pay.

PenFed Visa - gas.

Target Visa - Target.

Amex BCE - groceries.

USAA WMC - everything else.

I have other cards that rotate in and out, but these are my go to cards for daily use.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 18 of 50
severine
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently I'm nearly exclusively using my Sapphire Preferred to hit the signup bonus.  After that it's going to be:

I just received this car and another poster indicated that the new spending amount to hit the signup bonus has been changed to  $2000, all you need to do is email them and request it.

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 19 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@severine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just received this car and another poster indicated that the new spending amount to hit the signup bonus has been changed to  $2000, all you need to do is email them and request it.

The Chase website still says $3000 for me, is there somewhere where it says $2000 now?  I'd like to have something to point at.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.