Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Suggestion Plzzzz.... Thank you!!!

tag
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Your Suggestion Plzzzz.... Thank you!!!

I'm looking to add at least 3 CC to my profile this year. I've got my eyes on a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select or the Diamond Preffered, Chase Freedom and Discover It. I want to maximize my chances of approval on first trial... I was declined for the It and Freedom Card earlier this month but my scores were horrible and I had some negatives. Here's my stats as of today:

Credit score: EX 726, TU??, EX?? (TU & EQ are yet to be updated but hopefully I'm in the 700s at least across the board cos they all bear the same info)

AAoA: 3yrs

INQs: 2 EX, 1 EQ, 4 TU

Income: $42,000

Utilization: 7%

1 open CapOne card (never late) and 1 closed BOFA CC (closed never late)

No public record/collection

Based on my profile do I have chances of approval for the above mentioned cards? Any recommendation for a card I should apply for?? (AMEX & BOFA are out of the question cos I've had issues with them). My goal is to have at the max $10K in revolving CL with a minimal amount of cards ideally.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Your Suggestion Plzzzz.... Thank you!!!

@pip3man wrote:

I'm looking to add at least 3 CC to my profile this year. I've got my eyes on a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select or the Diamond Preffered, Chase Freedom and Discover It. I want to maximize my chances of approval on first trial... I was declined for the It and Freedom Card earlier this month but my scores were horrible and I had some negatives. Here's my stats as of today:

Credit score: EX 726, TU??, EX?? (TU & EQ are yet to be updated but hopefully I'm in the 700s at least across the board cos they all bear the same info)

@1 open CapOne card @ 1500 CL (never late) and 1 closed BOFA CC (closed never late)

Based on my profile do I have chances of approval for the above mentioned cards? Any recommendation for a card I should apply for?? (AMEX & BOFA are out of the question cos I've had issues with them). My goal is to have at the max $10K in revolving CL with a minimal amount of cards ideally.

Since you were denied for Chase Freedom, last time I checked they will not let you apply or if you do, again for 6 months. So gotta wait 6+ months to reapply for Chase.

Message 2 of 13
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

What was on your reports earlier in the month that resulted in declines?  

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 3 of 13
pip3man
Valued Contributor

But I'm not sure that's right cos in the letter they sent me, it specifically said if corrections are made on my CR I can contact them and "they'll be happy to reevaluate my application."

Message 4 of 13
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Stanic413 wrote:

It was a CO from BOFA which BOFA eventually reversed and deleted all the lates and changed the status to "Closed/Never Late" plus my card was maxed. Actually in the letter from Discover the reason for denial was only the "Charge Off" whereas Chase cited both "CO and high utilization"

Message 5 of 13
LeadingMan
New Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

@1 open CapOne card @ 1500 CL (never late) and 1 closed BOFA CC (closed never late)

Since you were denied for Chase Freedom, last time I checked they will not let you apply or if you do, again for 6 months. So gotta wait 6+ months to reapply for Chase.

Not necessarily. I was denied Marriott Premier but 2 months later app'd again and was approved. This was only 3 months after opening Freedom.

Arrival + WEMC 12.5K / AMEX BCE 12K / Cap1 Venture 10K / Discover IT 9.5K / CITI DP 9.1K / AMEX ED 6K / Freedom VS 6K / CSP 5K / IHG 5K

Message 6 of 13
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

@Stanic413 wrote:

It was a CO from BOFA which BOFA eventually reversed and deleted all the lates and changed the status to "Closed/Never Late" plus my card was maxed. Actually in the letter from Discover the reason for denial was only the "Charge Off" whereas Chase cited both "CO and high utilization"

I'm guessing you'll wait to check all 3 reports have updated before apping again.  I'd go with Citi but that's just personal preference.  My suggestion is get one (maybe 2)card then let your accounts age.  It will take time and patience to get those CLs you want. If you keep trying to get ca

rds to get there you'll look like you're continuously fishing for credit and lessen your chances of CLIs with current cards.  At this stage, best bet is get one or 2 card and let them all age.

Message 7 of 13
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion however this is the first time I'm applying for credit since 2011 so it ain't like I'm actively seeking for credit and again I have few inquiries (4 being the highest). Cap 1 is like my only active account. Adding just 1 account makes no difference cos is still very thin that's why I'm looking at getting 3 to bring it to a total of 4 open accounts. 4 CC is the max I need and I wanna get it all at the same time so they can all age uniformly as well as the inquiries. I don't wanna get a card now then next year get another, that will be extending the time which the Inquiries falls off plus it drops my AAoA. So best thing for me is to do it all at once and then go garden for the accounts to age. In regards to the $10k CL it's not set in stones, it's just an ideal situation. I'm open to whatever they give me so long as I'm approved for the 3 additional cards I need to boost my profile.

Message 8 of 13
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

My thinking is you may not get 3-4 cards right away.  I was in a similar position and was able to obtain only one card/yr. If you were already declined by two and only have one open card, you may have to build up a little more history before applying again. Which could be 6-12 mnths.  Of course, YMMV. Good luck and keep us posted.  

Message 9 of 13
virgo
Established Contributor

Re con with Chase.  They have the best. I have gotten 4 cards with them in 6 months.  One thing that helped me, might work for you, give specific reasons why you want a particular card. They like hearing people know their product.

Again re con.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.