Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your most hateful creditor?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your most hateful creditor?

First of all, this is my first post on myFICO! 

This is an interesting thread. I guess, if I was to go by the same criteria as others in here, I'd have to say Chase is my "most hateful" creditor, but in actual fact, Chase is my most beloved! I have (or have had) cards with: Chase, Discover, Barclays, Citi, BoA, AmEx, and Synchrony. My longest relationship by far is with Chase (25 years and counting), and they are the ones I will go out of my way not to piss off. I feel a strong loyalty to them even though years ago, when I was a foolish college kid, I ran up my balance, only paid the minimum, was late a time or two on payments, and had (and still have) a 27.49% APR on that original card (which is now a Freedom). 

But I don't blame Chase for all of that. Those were my mistakes. Sure, they took advantage of my ignorance, and when I'd get close to maxing that CL they'd bump it up a little more and a little more and a little more, and my naive self thought that meant "Wheee! More free money!" 

I honestly didn't learn my lesson until a few years ago, when I stopped using the credit card (it was my only one) completely, and struggled for a few years trying to pay down an $8,000 balance at 27.49% while basically living paycheck to paycheck. I definitely went through a period of "I hate credit cards." and especially "I hate Chase," during that time. 

I'm still paying off that balance, though it has been transferred to a personal loan that slashed the interest rate to almost a 3rd of what I was paying Chase. 

But I have a new outlook on credit cards and especially Chase now. I've opened about a dozen new cards over the past year, 6 of them with Chase (Southwest, 2 Disney cards, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire Preferred, and Hyatt). The sign-up bonuses from these cards alone have funded a huge portion of an upcoming trip to Disney World (paid for flights, $400 worth of Disney gift cards, $650 straight cash back, free night at Hyatt). It's hard to hate on Chase when they've made a trip I otherwise could not have afforded possible. I'm taking my mom for her 75th birthday, and it thrills me that she won't have to pay a dime (even though she insists and has been saving up her money for the trip too). 

So, yeah, Chase made life miserable when I was an easy target. But how times have changed. I'm a Chase girl through and through at this point. I will always be loyal. 

Of my other cards, none have been hateful, but I closed Barclays (CashForward) recently because I just don't need it and I'm kind of OCD about having extra accounts open that don't need to be. And it sounds like they might be kind of shady anyway, so maybe that was a good decision? They denied me for a ArrivalPlus too...so boo to them. 

I'll probably never open cards with Citi, Synchrony, or BoA again either. Nothing really negative, just nothing really positive. 

I like my Discover It card. They gave me my highest initital CL of any card to date ($12,500). I wish I was using it more right now to maximize the cashback match for the first year, but I'm still meeting sign-up bonus minimum spends. 

Got my first AmEx the other day (Hilton HHonors) and so far I'm impressed with them. I foresee using that card a lot in the future. 

Message 71 of 84
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Over a decade ago, I borrowed about $16K on a Chase Slate card via a mailer that said 2.5% APR fixed for the life of the loan. It was cheap money at the time and I was content making the minimum payment (2% of balance) as the money was earning more than it was costing me. I had paid off my truck and invested the leftovers. Things went smoothly for a couple years before Chase, for absolutely no reason other than they saw the **bleep**storm approaching, abruptly more than doubled my minimum payment to 5%. They raised the minimums for thousands of others too. Making my previous ~$200/mo payment now $500 was somewhat of a burden to me, but I paid it off. It put many others in collections just as the banking fiasco of 2008 unfolded. To this day my Slate card still has 5% minimum payment. I don't use as it has no benefit other than transfers, but it's a very old card that helps age my accounts.

These same morons that caused the financial crash were squeezing the guts out of those that owed them money. All while our government used our money to save their asses. Talk about irony.  I did receive about $350 in a class action against Chase for their conduct. 

I still have 2-3 Chase cards and took the $300 for opening a checking account. Never pretend these lenders are your friendly neighborhood banks. They are treacherous money making machines that will eat you up and spit you out. Smiley Wink

Message 72 of 84
hsspres
Contributor

Hmm.. Interesting topic but my "most hateful creditor" would be Capital One for the measly credit increases on my Platinum Rewards MC (which was a Quicksilver One until I changed the card image). CL only at $3150 with all my other 18 credit cards anywhere between 5K & 20K limits.  The annual fee is coming up soon so if I can't PC or roll the limit into my 5K Venture I'll just cancel this card.

As for other creditors:

Barclays has yet to CLD/BC me after about 3 years of usage.  I have a high limit on the Commence MC (foremer Sallie Mae) with a 0 balance.  I take advantage of the BT offers and pay off before the expiration.
I also have the Rewards MC which I pay in full before statement cuts.

Chase: No problems here either, I have 3 cards with high limits (and get automated increases).  The latest being approved in June for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa, 7.5K limit & 15.24 APR.

Actually I do have one card with a laughable limit, Merrick Bank - CL of $1400.  I pay no fees, just been keeping it open to help with the AAOA.  I keep wanting to close it, but with no fees, why?  I just charge a pack of gum or so every 6 months so it shows activity.

FICOs 6/17 - EQ 751, EX 749, TU 760
Message 73 of 84
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

It was definately Capital One for me. 

After I got my credit cleared up, I applied for a Cap1 card (Dont even remember which one) and got a 300 limit. 

After a few months, and I got approved for Amex, and Discover, and was getting limits up to 7K, so I called Cap1 to try to get something better than that toy 300 limit. 

The guy was just down right snotty on the phone, telling me I should be thankful for what limit I have, and there is nothing he can do. 

I asked to cancel my card on the spot, and he went into a speech about how this is going to damage my credit, etc. Eventually, I got the card cancelled, and have never looked back to Cap 1. 

Message 74 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't hate any creditors, not even predatory ones because they all have their place and reasons for existing.

I am also an investor in bank stocks, so whatever their reason for denying me makes sense to me as a shareholder.

I've had issues with banks and lenders in the past, but nothing that wasn't able to be corrected with a bit of due diligence.

All of the interest, fees, fines and collections I've had to deal with in my life are my fault.  Any bank that wants to keep a long memory against me was my fault for upsetting the relationship in the past.

I have toy limits now with Chase and Capital One and I expect to have to deal with that until the banks trust me again, since I burned them both in the past.

Message 75 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum ChasingDreams!

It's refreshing to see folks like you, ABCD & others willing to own up to the cause of conflict with their "hateful" (maybe at this point unfavorable would be a better choice of words?) lender- to the point where I'm reconsidering much of my original thought process when first making this thread.

Often times when reading posts here about AA or other credit woes I can't help but get the sense that often times there's a degree of personal responsibility on the borrowers part that isn't included in the post but come to light when they start dodging questions about utilization & payment habits with other lenders than the one in question.

While I've had plenty of lender angst along with FICO score, approval success & credit limit envy since starting my ongoing rebuild & lurking here - I've never let myself believe my inability to obtain better credit products was due to anything but my own actions. Still it can be fun to birch about lenders anyways and balance chasing will always be hateful Smiley Happy
Message 76 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Welcome to the forum ChasingDreams!

It's refreshing to see folks like you, ABCD & others willing to own up to the cause of conflict with their "hateful" (maybe at this point unfavorable would be a better choice of words?) lender- to the point where I'm reconsidering much of my original thought process when first making this thread.

Often times when reading posts here about AA or other credit woes I can't help but get the sense that often times there's a degree of personal responsibility on the borrowers part that isn't included in the post but come to light when they start dodging questions about utilization & payment habits with other lenders than the one in question.

While I've had plenty of lender angst along with FICO score, approval success & credit limit envy since starting my ongoing rebuild & lurking here - I've never let myself believe my inability to obtain better credit products was due to anything but my own actions. Still it can be fun to birch about lenders anyways and balance chasing will always be hateful Smiley Happy

OK, then will you or ABCD please tell me how I brought about 3 of the 4 hateful creditors I have dealt with?

Amex - it was my FATHER, not me (not the same first name). I was the victim of Identity Theft and was in no higher than 10th grade (read that 15 years old) at the time.

Citibank - OK, so I was born in Brooklyn, but by what right did that give them to take away (for their purposes) my American citizenship?

First Bank of New York - I gave them my signature card and all requested ID. It was Citibank taht would not send back the signature verification card.

Message 77 of 84
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

Re: Your most hateful creditor? Synchrony

My hateful creditor is Synchrony Bank-they pulled a number on me although it may partially  be my fault. I have had the basic TJMaxx credit card for yrs. I usually pay off my balance in full so when i saw they had increased my interest rate to 27%-i just thought whatever. They kept offering me to upgrade to their MC credit card and I usually ignored it. So about a month ago, I requested a 2nd card for an authorized user. The customer rep said no problem and  that it would be  sent to my home address. I was working out of town then so i asked my family member to check the mail to see if  a 2nd card came. After, 3 wks she said the card came and it was in her name and i activated it-at that time I thought it was strange that the card they sent my authorized user was a mastercard not the basic card. She checked all the mail and said there was not a  new card for me. Fast forward to now-im home and going through my mail-first I see a notice from cap1 creditwise  that I have a new pull on  my credi report- Synchrony bank was listed. Then going thru my mail, I saw a new master card from them. I did an online chat and was told they closed out my old tjmaxx card and could not go back to using it. I told the customer rep that I did not need another MC-that I have many credit cards with credit l lines totalling  up to $200,000 and avg interest rate 8-16%. He responded -do you want me to ask for a credit limit increase. SMH I asked him would it make financial sense to use a card that is 27% and $3000 limit vs another card that has a 14% APR and $18,000 credit line. All I wanted was my old card back and they were not going to do it. I have news for them-I am going to cancel the MC . So thats why Synchrony is my hateful creditor.

Message 78 of 84
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Unfortunately if Synchrony upgrades an account to MC, it usually signal the end of old account and a new one. Ive always said when you want the mc version from Sync , you usually cant get it, ie lower score or rebuild. By the time you CAN. get one, you usually dont need it( i.e better cards or dont want the aaol affect) Smiley Wink
Message 79 of 84
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Unfortunately if Synchrony upgrades an account to MC, it usually signal the end of old account and a new one. Ive always said when you want the mc version from Sync , you usually cant get it, ie lower score or rebuild. By the time you CAN. get one, you usually dont need it( i.e better cards or dont want the aaol affect) Smiley Wink

i cant remember when i got the initial tjmaxx card but i have had good to excellent credit for the past 15 yrs-just hate the bait and switch they did on me

Message 80 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.