Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZYNC Approved.

tag
brainysmurf
Contributor

ZYNC Approved.

I felt the itch and pulled the trigger a couple months early on my planned zync application. I'm supposed to be gardening, but I really wanted my foot in the door with AMEX. I would apply for others, since they all count as one, but I'll actually take less of an AAoA hit if I wait until January. (Some backdate love)

I'm just happy to be in the family now. I have a Barclays card with a 1.2k limit that I opened in March. I honestly don't care too much if they close my card because of the new account. The card doesn't offer me any rewards (Apple Financing) and is PIF. Should I call them and explain that I got an Amex charge for Costco use? Maybe they wouldn't shut me down then.
EX / EQ / TU FICO
Start: ? / 633 / 621 March 2011
Current: 751 / 760 / 750 (PSECU, SW, QM)
My Wallet: Fidelity Amex 5k, NFCU CashRewards 10k,
SD: Barclays Apple 1.2k, Amex Zync NPSL, HomeDepot 1.2k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: ZYNC Approved.

Congrats and welcome to the Amex family !!

Message 2 of 14
smc733
Valued Contributor

@brainysmurf wrote:
Should I call them and explain that I got an Amex charge for Costco use? Maybe they wouldn't shut me down then.

Don't do anything unless they take AA on your account.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 14
brainysmurf
Contributor

Okay. I'll let Barclay's decide if the want to AA me. No use in drawing it to their attention. As I said though, I don't care too much if it's closed. 

I don't even know if there's ever any reward for having the card past the initial 0% for 6/12 months. I figured since it's an Apple financing card that every once in a while they throw that deal out to current card holders just to drum up Apple sales. That would be a legit reason for keeping them, I am an Apple fanboy after all.

EX / EQ / TU FICO
Message 4 of 14
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Just use it and PIF from time to  time and they should leave you alone.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 14
Guava
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
mross1080
Established Contributor

Congrats! And welcome to the AMEX roller coaster ride!

Message 7 of 14
brainysmurf
Contributor

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Hopefully this won't be too much more of a roller coaster ride. Getting declined in April was no fun, and the wait for this app was tough. Then of course there was the suspense of applying. I was all but certain of approval with my current scores, but Amex seems to make up their own rules. I probably could have gotten a zync in April, but I jumped the gun and applied for a revolver from them. This time around I'll do it right, zync first to wine and dine them a bit and then ask for a card with rewards that I want.

I think Blue Cash Everyday > Costco True Earnings. Any thoughts? I don't currently travel much, but I am in the Navy. Deployments may hurt with with fees.
Blue Cash Preffered Is one to consider as well.
EX / EQ / TU FICO
Message 8 of 14
smc733
Valued Contributor

Costco TrueEarnings recently had its rewards decreased...

And if you don't belong to Costco, it has an AF...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 14
brainysmurf
Contributor

If the offerings stay the same I'll go with Blue Cash Preferred. I do have a Costco membership, but by Nerd Wallet's math BCP is better for me. It's a bit silly but I considered the TE card because it doubles as my membership card. It really all comes down to gas though, since I don't fill up at Costco often blue is better.
EX / EQ / TU FICO
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.