Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zync is a MUCH better card when linked to full Membership Rewards points

tag
Alcibiades
Contributor

Zync is a MUCH better card when linked to full Membership Rewards points

As a posted a few days ago, I am a Zync cardholder that was approved for an additional Amex Platinum. I have about 100,000 Membership Rewards Express points accumulated. Those points could have been used for things like $1,000 in gift cards or for a lot less ($500 bucks or so) in travel via Pay With Points or something.

However, my points were just upgraded to Membership Rewards Plus. I have been playing around with the system, and the value of the points drastically improved.

I can currently transfer points to a British Airways account with a 30% bonus (so if I transfer all my points over, I will have 130,000 miles). Apparently 40,000 British Airways points gets you a flight from the US to Ireland! So I could book three of those with my current points levels. Points can also be transfered to Virgin America, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, etc. In addition, Pay with Points now appears to be worth 1 cent per point, basically doubling the value.

If you are a Zync cardholder and have accumulated any Membership Rewards points, there is no reason not to at least apply for a Green card in order to convert your points. Green cards have no fee for the first year, so it only costs you a hard inquiriry, and if you have been a good user of a Zync card for a while, you should get approved. Zync + Full MR points offers great benefits - double points in your selected categories plus access to full MR Points, which are very good.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Zync is a MUCH better card when linked to full Membership Rewards points

That's what I plan on doing when next 100k promo comes around. I wasn't ready to upgrade a couple weeks ago so ill wait. By that time ill probably have a couple 100k pts to spend.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes way back had the Optima Platinum so that always linked to make any Membership Rewards Cards to link to and give the maximum points and no express points.

Message 3 of 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

yup, keeping my zync and waiting for the next big plat bonus next year and just got the PRG 30k bonus
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 12
nickn86
Contributor

Unfortunately you're not eligible for the sign-up bonuses on Plat/PRG if you already have a Zync (or any other Amex charge card).

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 5 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you don't travel significantly or your airlines aren't partners with Amex. Smiley Happy

Gift cards are as good as I can rationally do currently, and there's no difference there between MRE vs. MR except for the AF involved.  I'm estimating I'll probably continue to accumulate MRE until such point that I either start travelling again, or it becomes clear that I won't for an extended period of time.

        
Message 6 of 12
nickn86
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Unless you don't travel significantly or your airlines aren't partners with Amex. Smiley Happy

Gift cards are as good as I can rationally do currently, and there's no difference there between MRE vs. MR except for the AF involved.  I'm estimating I'll probably continue to accumulate MRE until such point that I either start travelling again, or it becomes clear that I won't for an extended period of time.

You can also sell your MR points online for a better value than 1:1 usually.  This is because travelers value them so highly.  So that alone might be a good reason to get an MR card and convert the MRE points.

EDIT: After Googling, this seems like it's not allowed though there are a ton (most sorta shady looking) sites that purport to offer it.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nickn86 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

You can also sell your MR points online for a better value than 1:1 usually.  This is because travelers value them so highly.  So that alone might be a good reason to get an MR card and convert the MRE points.

That's interesting, I didn't know there was a secondary market.  Is that through Amex or somewhere else?

        
Message 8 of 12
nickn86
Contributor

See my edit above though.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1352294-question-selling-trading-...  this thread has more on it

Message 9 of 12
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

+1. If you travel, or are planning on saving your points for a flight or to book a vacation, the Zync is horrible unless combined with a higer tier charge card. For those who don't travel, and are focuing on redeeming the points for giftcards (the next best value) the Zync is a winner. It's only $25 per year (waived if your do the small business Saturday promo), with all the Amex card benfits, NPSL, and rewards. Based on my spending, I can get back at the end of the year $200-$250 in redeeming my points for giftcards. Think about it. I am actually not paying anything for this card, and will be getting back more than $200 based on my spending. Not to be bad in my opinion. I am sure there are better cards out there, but for now, this is what I got until I get better cards (the BCP is in my radar). I think the Zync is great for those who don't travel, which is what the card was geared towards anyway.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.