Nightfallx
New Contributor

a few questions.

are these cards prime?

chase slate

amex zync

im sure this one isn't a prime card

Citi MTvU

i also have a best buy store card, im wanting to get rid of one of these cards b/c it's not humanly possible to use them all. and is it bad if my cards aren't used? if it just sits there.

in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: a few questions.

I'm pretty sure all your cards listed excluding the store card are from prime lenders. Regarding your question about getting rid of one of them: IMHO, you should SD it. Let it age and it will be great for your AAoA. Closing one will just reduce your available credit and if it's not costing you an AF, keep it. Just my .02. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 22
sandsanta
Contributor

@Nightfallx wrote:

are these cards prime?

chase slate

amex zync

im sure this one isn't a prime card

Citi MTvU

i also have a best buy store card, im wanting to get rid of one of these cards b/c it's not humanly possible to use them all. and is it bad if my cards aren't used? if it just sits there.

Yes, the first two are prime.  As for Citi MTvU, you should call citi and see if they will do a product change for you.  If you're going to get rid of a card, get rid of the best buy store card. 

Message 3 of 22
Nightfallx
New Contributor

Bestbuy is my oldest , citi won't convert my card already tried. I owe 0$ on all of them except bestbuy bc I shop there often lol.
in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 4 of 22
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

All of your cards except Best Buy are what I would consider to be prime. Any card issued by a prime bank is a de facto prime card, in my opinion. Cards issued from Chase, American Express, and Citi are not easy to get nor are they handed out to just anyone. They may not be as prime as something like an AMEX Platinum or Chase Sapphire Preferred, but they're still great cards issued by prime banks.

Those are some nice cards you have there. 

Photobucket
Message 5 of 22
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Well, I have a questions?  Why does it matter if you have a sub-prime/prime card?  I figure, if you have a company that is willing to extend you credit, why care if it is sub or not?  just saying...

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 6 of 22
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@birjest wrote:

Well, I have a questions?  Why does it matter if you have a sub-prime/prime card?  I figure, if you have a company that is willing to extend you credit, why care if it is sub or not?  just saying...

Because prime cards generally have better benefits, better terms, better credit limits, better chance for advancement, etc. Sub-prime cards usually have a crapload of fees, low credit lines, high APR's, little to no rewards, and they're generally just dead-end cards --meaning it's not gonna get a whole lot better unless you move up to a prime card. Whereas if you get a prime card with a prime bank, it can grow with you and get better and better...that's not the case with most sub prime cards.

Plus having accounts with "prime" banks looks really good on your credit when you go to apply for just about anything, assuming they're in good standing and all that. And you get the satisfaction of "making it" in the credit world when a prime bank wants to lend you credit. 

There's a HUGE difference between the two.

No offense meant, but was that a serious question? That's like asking what's the difference between a Daewoo and a Mercedes-Benz. 

Photobucket
Message 7 of 22
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Well, yes, it was.  I see people here (not the op) who rebuild their credit with sub-prime cards, but now that their credit have rebounded, and once they achieve the prime card, they (not the op) start bashing the sub-prime cards.  Like Capital One, people call it crappy1 card, but it wasn't crappy one that chose them, it those who are rebuilding their credit or who can't get a prime card that applied capital one.

I had sub-prime cards before, heck I even have Capital One right now, I don't think when I applied for a home loan would deter my chance because of my Capital One card.  I think if a company is willing to extend credit to you, regardless if sub or not, take it as it will help your utilization on the report.  Now, if they charge high af, or low credit limit...cool then.  Its a rebuilding card.  Use it and close it.  Am I on the right track?  Didn't mean to hijack guys....

Message 8 of 22
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@birjest wrote:

Well, yes, it was.  I see people here (not the op) who rebuild their credit with sub-prime cards, but now that their credit have rebounded, and once they achieve the prime card, they (not the op) start bashing the sub-prime cards.  Like Capital One, people call it crappy1 card, but it wasn't crappy one that chose them, it those who are rebuilding their credit or who can't get a prime card that applied capital one.

I had sub-prime cards before, heck I even have Capital One right now, I don't think when I applied for a home loan would deter my chance because of my Capital One card.  I think if a company is willing to extend credit to you, regardless if sub or not, take it as it will help your utilization on the report.  Now, if they charge high af, or low credit limit...cool then.  Its a rebuilding card.  Use it and close it.  Am I on the right track?  Didn't mean to hijack guys....

Sub-prime cards have their purpose(s): build/rebuild credit, and that's about all they're good for. Nobody is saying sub-prime cards are all bad, because odds are we all started out with one. I have two Cap1 cards that I started with, and I'm happy Cap1 extended me credit, but I'm not sticking with those cards now that I have much, much better ones. They served their purpose in building my credit and now I'm done with them, for the most part. I'll buy a soda or something every couple months to keep them open (after all, it is still a good TL and helps with util) but that's it.

Don't mistake me for talking down or bashing anyone who has sub-prime cards (I have them myself). I'm simply pointing out that there is a huge difference between the two.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 22
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Happy  I know that you wasn't bashing.  I have an understandings of the 2, but I do agree.  Once the cards is maxed (can't graduate) then it will be time to move on.  I see you have a Zync, I just got my Zync last week.  however, I still see others here that bash the Zync card because it can't be pc.  You made some fine points.  OP, are you taking note...Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.