Did you mean: 

addicted to applying for cc's?

tag
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: addicted to applying for cc's?

@mojobones89 wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

Just go to each of the CRA's and search for "freeze".  It may say security freeze but that's it.  With a freeze you can't apply for credit unless you unfreeze your reports because the freeze puts a fraud alert on your reports.  Depending on your state of residence it costs between 5 and 10 bucks at each agency.  So total for me was $30.  It cost the same amount to unfreeze so I'll just keep that freeze on till next year.  To unfreeze you can call the CRA and have it unlocked with a pin number, but if you lose that pin number you will have to write in to get it and it will take probably 30 days.  For me its the savior so it's all good Smiley Happy.

i think i just found my solution,BUT maybe after a new car and one more CC.

Ahhh you see....that is the fallacy.  Soon it will be "just one more" again and again.  Stop while you can Mojo!  LOL!!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 41 of 46
mojobones89
Contributor

I was jk(maybe) lol nah I will freeze my accounts once I actually know how to do it when I'm looking for that button.
Message 42 of 46
if6was9
Established Member

@mojobones89 wrote:

i have noticed that when i have free time and nothing to do at home,i end up getting on this forum and see new posts,reading peoples approvals and success stories i end up getting  the urge to find a new cc to apply for,EVEN THOUGH i do not need any more,i could say i have some of the best cc's out there atm...maybe one to many. i get to the point of getting to the app page,filling out all my info,right before i hit sumit for a desicion i end up backing out before i get even more tempted and have to think to myself(thank god i did not apply,would not be worth the HP)

i know this is dumb but for some reason i want another amex...the PLAT....knowing it wont do me no good since i do not travel a lot.

i have all the cards i need and im at the point of,what is next?what is the next level of credit card for me to strive to get?what other challenges are out there to thrive off for next big thing.am i the only one who has a HARD time to stay in the garden?

with all my new accounts i have recently opened and all a lot of new CLI i have recieved
 i feel a bit off?like something is missing?

maybe i just need a new car?
LOL,jk.

I'm a newbie here and might be able to give you a different perspective and a different answer. You might find my answer useful or a waste of time, but I thought I would share it anyway. 

I come here just like you to find advice, because having good credit in the good ol' U.S. of A does make a difference. You might have access to better deals and so on, I'm sure everybody here is aware of the benefits of having good credit. I think you are realizing that a credit card is just a piece of plastic and means nothing, it just gives you power to buy stuff. 

Getting approved for credit also gives you an artificial sense of power, you feel like the system is also approving you because you've been smart enough to get to that position. Just like buying stuff gives you a sense of power. It's all a game and it can be addictive. The truth is you don't need all those cards, you could probably make it just fine with one or two. The number of cards is irrelevant to my point, you can have all the cards you want. But life is too short, there's a lot of stuff you can be doing, rather than collecting cards. 

This is a credit forum, so saying this here is almost like going to runnersworld.com and saying exercising sucks...so there it is, exercising sucks!

Message 43 of 46
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

I am familiar with the urges per say, but I am limited by the fact that I am refining.

All my cards serve a purpose as well.

One is for rewards (CSP)

and I have a high limit card with Citibank. I also applied for another card with citibank because in the future when I get denied for a CLI on my high limit card, I am just going to transfer the limit from my other citibank card.

Eventually I will be left with the cards with the highest limit (and my oldest card), and close the ones with the lowest limits.

During my next CLI spree, I will be closing all cards with limits in the 4-digit range, keeping all my cards in the 5-digit range.

I've already closed my cards with 3-digit limits and non-visa/store cards

I suspect if the remaining number of cards are low, then maybe I will see what Amazon and Paypal give me, but aside from that I have my sights on very particular outcomes, instead of a app spree free-for-all

Message 44 of 46
mojobones89
Contributor

@if6was9 wrote:

@mojobones89 wrote:

i have noticed that when i have free time and nothing to do at home,i end up getting on this forum and see new posts,reading peoples approvals and success stories i end up getting  the urge to find a new cc to apply for,EVEN THOUGH i do not need any more,i could say i have some of the best cc's out there atm...maybe one to many. i get to the point of getting to the app page,filling out all my info,right before i hit sumit for a desicion i end up backing out before i get even more tempted and have to think to myself(thank god i did not apply,would not be worth the HP)

i know this is dumb but for some reason i want another amex...the PLAT....knowing it wont do me no good since i do not travel a lot.

i have all the cards i need and im at the point of,what is next?what is the next level of credit card for me to strive to get?what other challenges are out there to thrive off for next big thing.am i the only one who has a HARD time to stay in the garden?

with all my new accounts i have recently opened and all a lot of new CLI i have recieved
 i feel a bit off?like something is missing?

maybe i just need a new car?
LOL,jk.

I'm a newbie here and might be able to give you a different perspective and a different answer. You might find my answer useful or a waste of time, but I thought I would share it anyway. 

I come here just like you to find advice, because having good credit in the good ol' U.S. of A does make a difference. You might have access to better deals and so on, I'm sure everybody here is aware of the benefits of having good credit. I think you are realizing that a credit card is just a piece of plastic and means nothing, it just gives you power to buy stuff. 

Getting approved for credit also gives you an artificial sense of power, you feel like the system is also approving you because you've been smart enough to get to that position. Just like buying stuff gives you a sense of power. It's all a game and it can be addictive. The truth is you don't need all those cards, you could probably make it just fine with one or two. The number of cards is irrelevant to my point, you can have all the cards you want. But life is too short, there's a lot of stuff you can be doing, rather than collecting cards. 

This is a credit forum, so saying this here is almost like going to runnersworld.com and saying exercising sucks...so there it is, exercising sucks!

you know whats funny,i had a very familiar speech like this in sociology class,OH NO,what have i become.

Message 45 of 46
mojobones89
Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

I am familiar with the urges per say, but I am limited by the fact that I am refining.

All my cards serve a purpose as well.

One is for rewards (CSP)

and I have a high limit card with Citibank. I also applied for another card with citibank because in the future when I get denied for a CLI on my high limit card, I am just going to transfer the limit from my other citibank card.

Eventually I will be left with the cards with the highest limit (and my oldest card), and close the ones with the lowest limits.

During my next CLI spree, I will be closing all cards with limits in the 4-digit range, keeping all my cards in the 5-digit range.

I've already closed my cards with 3-digit limits and non-visa/store cards

I suspect if the remaining number of cards are low, then maybe I will see what Amazon and Paypal give me, but aside from that I have my sights on very particular outcomes, instead of a app spree free-for-all

thats a very good strategy,you could say im just...attached to my accounts,idk all that time opened for them to be closed,even though i dont use them....they are a part of my credit journey and success.i feel like without them i would not have gotten where im at today with my credit.

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.