advice on strategy to possibly apply right now

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

advice on strategy to possibly apply right now

seeking advice -  

a. on whether to apply for a new card and call it a year(s) or not

b. and if so, which card

was going to stay in the garden until at least Aug 2019.   but then Chase offered me CSP and considering i'm at like 8/24 I took it.  

So now that I have another new account about to report as new I'm wondering if I should try my luck and add 1 or 2 more cards since i'm going to take a new account hit on FICOs anyway, and don't expect to need credit for at least a year.  

fyi I did open AMEX Gold, BCE, Discover IT, Chase FU, and now Chase SP this year.  I have a Chase Freedom so the Discover IT was almost pointless, I admit to being jealous of DW and impressed by their categories, bank account offerings, and double year 1  so at the time it seemed like a good idea.  I've been taking advantage of the bonus categories on all cards and using FU as my general spend along with my BoA Travel Rewards.  

If I applied it would be for a card with a potentially decent limit (I need to start getting my limits higher) and for a limited time SUB.  (I don't churn but I do appreciate the opportunity cost of a good SUB).

here's my list and thoughts.  any advice is appreciated

1. Capital One Venture - new transfer partner option is great and SUB is currently awesome

2. Barclays Arrival - (is that a 6/24 card?) if there were a reason to NOT get Venture I would consider this, practically same card except for   transfers at this point.   And SUB is adjusted to compete with Venture

3. NFCU Flagship - limited time offer is still smaller than #1 and #2 but the 3x/2x rewards is solid and I keep reading about how their CLs are impressive.  (I am already a member with a specific stream of income set up for DD)

4. AMEX Hilton Ascend - as you can see I'm seeking another travel card.  BoA is nice but limiting.  My wife works for American Airlines so I almost never have to pay for airfare - It makes sense to focus on hotels if I were to leave the 'general travel' card structure.  I would prefer the Aspire card because I am craving Priority Pass access and this offers 10 passes on a $95 annual fee. I would start with Aspire card but I have read that some members were able to later successfully upgrade to Aspire card and STILL get SUB , that would be a great situation considering that this card currently has a great SUB

long shots:

1. AMEX Platinum - the only card on pre approval that says, "to expand your membership" so I doubt I'd get approved 5 months after getting the Gold....but **bleep** wish I had applied for this one instead with the SPG/Hilton status, Global Lounge, etc.

2. Citi Business AAdvantage - recently started a business but doubt I have enough credit established to get this.  SUB is amazing and this would be great for those situations where I can't get a seat from reserve and have to buy a last minute ticket. 

I might be crazy and there's no chance I could get another card approval but my strategy was 'get either a general travel card like Venture or a hotel card now while you're about to get hit with AAoA points and then go into the garden' 

Plus both AMEX cards, Discover and the godforsaken BuyPower card cycles ended yesterday.  Once they report I'll be at something like 2% utilization with only 3 of 12 cards showing a balance(Amex Gold - $464, BCE - $313, Savor - $281) so I figured that's the tightest I've had the utilization individually and aggregate ever. 

thanks again for the feedback 

1 REPLY 1
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: advice on strategy to possibly apply right now

What jumps out at me, honestly, is that the next app would be your 6th card this year. Depending on how many inquiries you have overall showing, as well as your score being 672 and kind of middle of the road, I think you risk not being approved. And if you are approved, you could also risk an AA from any of the lenders if any of them decide to look at this in a negative way. This is just my opinion though. It could totally turn out different.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.