Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

am i the only one that gets pissed?

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

am i the only one that gets pissed?

When I log on and see a thread everyday about how to join NFCU? Go join the army if you want the benefit of a military credit union. I took a bullet for this country that I love. I served as a safety officer for fort Sam Houston. I can say I earned my place at navy federal. I send them a message every time I see an undeserving person trying to weezle their way in. This last response I got said they watch these forums and credit boards. And the security team is on top of it. I really enjoy threads about I snuck in and now I'm pisses because " my accounts are frozen and my money is locked up!" It really makes me mad when something good is leaked on the internet then its ruined by people.... sorry if I offend anyone I think there needs to be something special and off limits like va loans and banks/cu I earned it. Your husband, dad, mom... did roommates should not qualify!!!

End of rant
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: am i the only one that gets pissed?

I agree completely. People will always try and take advantage of the system anyway they can. Ultimately it's up to NFCU to make sure this doesn't happen. Don't be sorry for expressing the way you feel, if someone disagrees so be it.

Message 2 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while and never felt compelled to respond to a post until I saw yours.  I totally agree with you.

My son continues to serve in the Army and has endured deployments and spent more time away from his family than with his family in order to serve his country.  He puts his life on the line and his family has dealt with years of worrying.  We have been very lucky (so far) and he has always returned unharmed, but the fear is always there.  

I joined NFCU after my son "forced" me to.  He had become a member quite a few years ago and about six months ago we were talking about financial matters and he explained how this is a "family" benefit for service members.  I was amazed that this benefit could be extended to me.  My membership application went smoothly and I have never had to worry about any type of review because I am legitimately eligible.  

NFCU is a great credit union.  Our service members (and their families) deserve an organization like this.  Our service members and their families sacrifice every day for our country (yes, even when they are not deployed).  I understand that many people start drooling over the high card limits that NFCU can give and see it as a way to improve their credit situation, but that doesn't mean everyone is entitled to it.  

There is a price to pay for the privilege of belonging to NFCU.  I would gladly give up every one of my NFCU accounts if it would guarantee that my son would never face enemy fire again, could spend holidays with his family, and I didn't have to see the worry on his wife's face and hear the fear in her voice when she hasn't heard from him when she thought she would. 

I will now get off my soapbox.  By the way, OP, thanks for your service !

Message 3 of 113
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I would agree with this post if there were other ways to join the military.  Let me explain.  I actually tried to join the Army right out of college.  However, I have a chronic ear condition that makes me physically unable to serve.  There is no way for me to join.  Additionally, I have tried to secure civilian positions in US government that would had made me eligible to get into NFCU but those positions are next to impossible to get unless you have selective service preference or know someone.

There are countless programs only offered to ex-military that I never had the option to get regardless of my desire to serve.  As a result, I ended up getting a roommate to take advantage of one of those programs, NFCU.  My roommate is getting an excellent place to stay at a much lower than normal rent and is getting helped back on his feet financially.  I see no problem in this.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I find it odd that their admission criteria are far more strict than underwriting.

As a service-connected disabled veteran, with clean credit, I'm ineligible for membership. It occasionally grinds my gears when someone prances in the back door with a huge CL. That being said; those people are becoming members within the bank's guidelines, I don't actually have a right to be annoyed.

USAA has been great to me. I just feel they care a whole lot more about Vets.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 5 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

I find it odd that their admission criteria are far more strict than underwriting.

As a service-connected disabled veteran, with clean credit, I'm ineligible for membership. It occasionally grinds my gears when someone prances in the back door with a huge CL. That being said; those people are becoming members within the bank's guidelines, I don't actually have a right to be annoyed.

This is one thing that does bother me about NFCU.  If you served at all I think you should be eligible.  My son and I have had a few talks about this and he has talked to all of his buddies to make sure that they join before they are discharged.  This way they have their membership even if they don't do anything with it right now.  I wish NFCU would change this so anyone who was honorably discharged would be eligible to join.  

My son says that NFCU doesn't seem to be on the radar for many soldiers - USAA seems to be the choice for many and they don't realize they can join both.

Message 6 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

This is one thing that does bother me about NFCU.  If you served at all I think you should be eligible.  My son and I have had a few talks about this and he has talked to all of his buddies to make sure that they join before they are discharged.  This way they have their membership even if they don't do anything with it right now.  I wish NFCU would change this so anyone who was honorably discharged would be eligible to join.  

My son says that NFCU doesn't seem to be on the radar for many soldiers - USAA seems to be the choice for many and they don't realize they can join both.

USAA tends to do a better job of staying on the radar. The customer service is also excellent. Smiley Happy

I'm not throwing stones at anyone but it's pretty odd that NFCU doesn't even consider disabled vets eligible.

They have generous credit lines and great products! Anyone with a path to eligibility would be foolish to spend more money elsewhere.

Message 7 of 113
BearOSO
Contributor

I did not know people actually try to squeeze themselves into a bank; let alone NFCU security monitoring the forums. 

I had no clue vets could not join. I regret closing the account when my time was up and switching to Chase and USAA. Oh well. 

Message 8 of 113
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Im a grunt and a purple heart recipent. I have no problem with people getting through the back door. The one thing that I dislike about NFCU is there policy of not letting Vets in. Oh by the way the reason people in the Army dont sighn up for NFCU is there is no active advertising on bases for this credit union plus a young private sees navy and automatically walks the other direction. Old Sarge here always tells there soldiers to become a member of NFCU.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 9 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@BearOSO wrote:

I did not know people actually try to squeeze themselves into a bank; let alone NFCU security monitoring the forums. 

I had no clue vets could not join. I regret closing the account when my time was up and switching to Chase and USAA. Oh well. 

You may still be eligible due to having had an account in the past.

Message 10 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.