Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

am i the only one that gets pissed?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: am i the only one that gets pissed?

@RemyWinchester wrote:

I'm sure many of these same people are the ones who drive onto a nearby base for the cheaper gas too. 

I joined NFCU though the roommate clause and I believe you are painting with an overly large brush. Their rules are established and available for all to review. Prior to joining I contacted NFCU and was completely honest in my desire to join my motivation to join and the method I was employing. They had no problem with it. Now my 6+ figure salary is directly deposited to their CU and I have moved accounts to them. I will refi house in June with them as well. 

If you don't like it then you don't have to bank with them. Insulting people who joined NFCU by roommate provision by alluding to them as being cheap is uncalled for. Like I said in earlier post, I tried to join the Army and they didn't want me. I took the aptitude test (99th percentile) and failed the hearing test by 5db. The recruiter told me to put cotton in my bad ear for a week and then try the hearing test again. Until the US establishes another way to serve the military I will continue to take advantage of legal avenues to better my finances and I will encourage others to do the same. 

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 113
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I admit I read OP and 3 posts after that and then page 5 which had the statement of cheaper gas so if I miss add ins that Im about to duplicate I'm sorry...

1.  Credit Unions (Navy) or not have requirements to get in.  I think Navy ruffles individual people more because it's the most publisized here on the boards but every day thousands wiggle into Credit Unions around the country, maybe world (not sure what other countries have).  You have to remember also that many banks and credit unions have either been bought by someone larger, merged, or sold.... Those members would get transferred to new bank or new credit union and would be grandfathered in so is that really sneaking and breaking rules because they don't qualify for Navy if they were to joint today...

2. Yes the benefit is very nice because Credit Unions and especially Navy seems to have some very "friendly" underwriting for not perfect credit but in the end the more members a Credit Union has the more positive loans a Credit union offers and gives out, the more money they will have to lend further.

Message 42 of 113
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Whatever makes you sleep at night... 

Message 43 of 113
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I sleep very at night on a set of 1000 thread count cotton sheets that I bought on my 25k CL NFCU Visa Flagship Siggy card.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 44 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I've seen posts where people were getting $5K limits from NFCU but had nothing but secured cards from other banks.

Everything balances out in the end. A lot of people take offense to Amex backdating.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 45 of 113
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
I sleep very at night on a set of 1000 thread count cotton sheets that I bought on my 25k CL NFCU Visa Flagship Siggy card.

As well you should.  You played by the rules.  Whether someone likes the rules or not is their problem, not yours.  NFCU has their requirements and you met them.  End of story.  I think veterans should be able to join, but that doesn't mean I am going to get upset about others getting in through other rules NFCU set up.  All of this energy should be spent trying to get veterans the ability to join, not complaining about others who joined under the rules (roommates).  People who scammed their way in are a different story, but roommates get in fair and square.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 46 of 113
toppers555
Established Contributor

@swpopham wrote:
When I log on and see a thread everyday about how to join NFCU? Go join the army if you want the benefit of a military credit union. I took a bullet for this country that I love. I served as a safety officer for fort Sam Houston. I can say I earned my place at navy federal. I send them a message every time I see an undeserving person trying to weezle their way in. This last response I got said they watch these forums and credit boards. And the security team is on top of it. I really enjoy threads about I snuck in and now I'm pisses because " my accounts are frozen and my money is locked up!" It really makes me mad when something good is leaked on the internet then its ruined by people.... sorry if I offend anyone I think there needs to be something special and off limits like va loans and banks/cu I earned it. Your husband, dad, mom... did roommates should not qualify!!!

End of rant

Well before I state my opinion , I would like to thank you ,and all others who have served our country.   Now on to my opinion.  While I do think those who have served do deserve to be reconized , and honored, their are many programs established for those who served our country besides NFCU,  and I really think you are getting to  upset about this. Their will also be people who try to abuse the system.  Also just because someone is not  by law considered a person family, you never know how that person may have help , or supported the person who served. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 47 of 113
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

To the OP, thanks for your service to our country and I have high respect and gratitude to all of our brave men and women.  

There will always be people trying to use loopholes for selfish and greedy reasons and you can't change the will and morality of them.  The only thing that can be done about this is if NFCU uses better screening procedures at the time of membership besides lip service.  They should state exactly what documentation is needed in the case of proving relationship to the eligible family member.  Only after that paperwork is produced should they allow membership, but even if they did require this, there will still be people probably producing forged documents.  So the only thing that NFCU can do is take the necessary steps BEFORE membership is established.

I don't get pissed at these people because I expect that sooner or later they will be caught and many already have been!  Accounts are closed, thier money frozen, and without access to their revolving credit products thier credit takes a ding....now isn't that sweet revenge?  As for reporting those scoundrels that post here, I had no idea that you could and perhaps if more people did that then they would be caught much sooner than later.  How exactly do you report them?

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 48 of 113
Kartel34
Regular Contributor

I'm a disabled vet who receives a monthly serviced connected compensation. I had no problem joining NFCU( a week ago)  an Ive been honorably discharged back in the 90's. So for me it's hard to believe that NFCU wont approve a Veteran. Unless their not inputting the correct information but, thats just opinion.

Message 49 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Morality isn't an issue, for me. I just think the policy should be friendlier towards people who have served active duty.

I'd join in a minute if DGF were a member.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 50 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.