Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

am i the only one that gets pissed?

tag
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: am i the only one that gets pissed?

@bs6054 wrote:
Yes, it was because both you and the OP mentioned freezing bank accounts that I asked.  As I said, I don't recall posts about that, but I certainly haven't read every post!  I just don't know what legal grounds could support doing that for any length of time, presumably they know the account owner is who he/she claims to be (via Patriot Act provisions) it's just whether they are entitled to be members that is in doubt.  I would think that they could certainly close the account and then return the money, but couldn't freeze it for very long without a court order.

I just read recently in another forum about someone getting their accounts closed and their money was tied up at for sure I know that it was over a month.  IIRC, they were trying to get the paperwork meanwhile thier DD was going into the account.  Checks were bouncing all over the place.  It was just a mess.  The poster was wondering NFCU was going to take their money in thier bank account and pay off their loans, etc.  I don't know what happened in the end, lost track of the thread, but they definitely shutdown any outgoing transactions!  But this all revolved around whether or not they were entitled to membership.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 61 of 113
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

--> With ALL due respect to active duty and retired servicemembers, why is NFCU even desirable? Their credit cards aren't particularly good, there are many cards out there that are much better, their checking and savings accounts are mediocre at best too. I'm assuming they give special mortgage and auto insurance rates to servicemembers, but I'm not sure how much better those are compared to what a civilian with stellar credit would get...? If anyone wants to give me an example I'd be curious to know.

NFCU is desirable because they are far and away the most lenient with approvals and generous with CLs to people who are rebuilding their credit. No other lender comes close.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 62 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ pizzadude,

Credit limits like they hand out basically let people skip years of rebuilding. Of course it's a desirable CU. Smiley Happy

I called (in the past) and asked if service-connected disability benefits met their criteria for being an annuity and was told no. The rep said it referred to retired military.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 63 of 113
Kartel34
Regular Contributor

Yes they did a hp on me

Message 64 of 113
Kartel34
Regular Contributor

Yes they did a HP 

Message 65 of 113
4thmouse

Im sorry statements like this rub me the wrong way. Who are YOU to determine who does and doesn't deserve it? Sigh, Im just a lowely police officer was a volunteer firefighter for many years, Unfortunatly risking my life locally doesn't count as me "Deserving" to be a member of such an exclusive club since I have never been in the military.

My point being just because you haven't been in the military doesn't mean you haven't served your country. I personally thank all those who have served, Even the ones that haven't seen active duty. However keep in mind when you see these "Un-deserving" souls trying to get the best deals for themselves and there families you don't know there history, And there are Many ways to serve your country.

Message 66 of 113
swpopham
Established Contributor

https://www.google.com/search?q=fire+fighters+credit+union&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF...

Click this, im not allowed to be a member but have fought countless fires and wrecks around the oil indurstry where people are on fire, car crashes. in iraq. Each branch of service whether it is civil service, justice departement, state department, union workers etc. they all have their own standards and target customer. I dont try and sneak in to HEB employees credit union. or any others. Im just saying if you are actually eligable fine. if not accept it...

if my picture works, thats melting aluminum running around on the ground.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 67 of 113
4thmouse

I realize there are other services out there, Personally I am a member of many of them, My point is to try to get people to stop being so judgemental when they don't know anything beyond a simple post, Not to whine that Im not a member of the NFCU. Why do you care that someone managed to sneak past the guidlines. I mean, Is the NFCU even run by folks who have seen active duty?

Message 68 of 113
bs6054
Valued Contributor

swpopham wrote:

Click this, im not allowed to be a member but have fought countless fires and wrecks around the oil indurstry where people are on fire, car crashes. in iraq. Each branch of service whether it is civil service, justice departement, state department, union workers etc. they all have their own standards and target customer. I dont try and sneak in to HEB employees credit union. or any others. Im just saying if you are actually eligable fine. if not accept it...

Right, but you started this thread saying:

Your husband, dad, mom... did roommates should not qualify!!!

It was you that was not accepting "actually eligible" people.  I understand that you are interested in running for the board and changing the policy, which is fine, but don't be too surprised when people respond to what you said in your original post (and the title probably doesn't help calm things down either!)

Message 69 of 113
swpopham
Established Contributor

@4thmouse wrote:

My point is to try to get people to stop being so judgemental when they don't know anything beyond a simple post, Not to whine that Im not a member of the NFCU.

I agree 100% thank you for being civil! I never expected to be at 7 pages already.

@mod. I like navy fed for the following

1. call and get loan approval, (over night checks)

2. usually no hassles.

3. customer service will bend over backwards.

4. years ago we were broke and had car issues, they pushed threw the navchek and made it avaiable instantly for us.

5. high limits.

6. ALL AMERICAN

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 70 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.