cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amazon visa vs Discover it or Chase Freedom ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amazon visa vs Discover it or Chase Freedom ?

which card is better for Amazon Purchases. is it better to apply for the Amazon visa or just use my discover it and chase freedom for those purchases when the bonus category shows up, which is usually around this time. any cards that have amazon as a bonus all year long ? 

my cards : 

Amex GREEN :NPSL

BOFA Cash: $12,600

citi double cash : $3,888

discover it: $6,200

Chase Marriot: $5,000

Chase IHG: $2,000

Chase CSP: $5,000

Chase Freedom: $7,000

Amex ED : $4,400

Amex Old Blue Cash: $12,800

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amazon visa vs Discover it or Chase Freedom ?

@Anonymous wrote:

which card is better for Amazon Purchases. is it better to apply for the Amazon visa or just use my discover it and chase freedom for those purchases when the bonus category shows up, which is usually around this time. any cards that have amazon as a bonus all year long ? 

my cards : 

Amex GREEN :NPSL

BOFA Cash: $12,600

citi double cash : $3,888

discover it: $6,200

Chase Marriot: $5,000

Chase IHG: $2,000

Chase CSP: $5,000

Chase Freedom: $7,000

Amex ED : $4,400

Amex Old Blue Cash: $12,800

I don't exactly know the CB savings on Amazon cards. But unfortunately Discover 5% and Chase Freedom ends today.

Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Chase Visa is 3%.   If you are a Prime member, then one option is the Amazon Store card, which gives 5% all the time (or good financing terms for purchases above a certain amount).

With your existing cards, you could buy Amazon gift cards at a supermarket with the ED (=2.4MR if you get 20 swipes a month) or, if you are above threshold, with the OBC at drug store or grocery and get 5% off.

Message 3 of 9
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I have the Chase Amazon and I do not use it. I use the Discover to load up Amazon gift card to get 5% and use the balance for purchases. But not all purchases can use the Amazon gift card balance.

I do not think Chase Freedom has Amazon this quarter. I'm over the limit anyway. 

For Amazon Prime, Amazon store card is the way to go. You get cash balance automatically.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Chase Amazon and don't use it. Get the Freedom and Amazon STORE card.
Message 5 of 9
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Just got the Store card, after Sallie mae took a dump. Love it. But the Discover is nice, 5% off Amazon last 6 months of the year. At least the past two years so hopefully it won't change. Plus the first 3 months, 5% off gas.. The card is good all year around. Even if some of that is covered by other cards, having backups - spreading your spend around, is a good idea.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 6 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

For someone that doesn't have the Discover. Discover is  currently offering a $75 cash back credit through Amazon. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-75-150-public-signup-bonus/

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

For someone that doesn't have the Discover. Discover is  currently offering a $75 cash back credit through Amazon. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-75-150-public-signup-bonus/

That link says that you can get the double cashback on the second card of the same type.  I was interpreting "new cardmembers only" to exclude this, but maybe not.   Have people here got this?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest the Amazon Prime Store Card. I love the 5% back and the interest free financing on purchases of $150 and above.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.