Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex and discover cli time frame and boa secured

tag
Santaclausthereal
Contributor

amex and discover cli time frame and boa secured

I recently opened a amex and discover account the amex has a small credit line of $1000 and the discover has a small cl of $2000 I was wondering when can you request a cli increase on these cards and how much over your current credit limit do they usually approve? my current fico 8 score are high 700 almost touching 800 and my fico 9 scores are already in the 800's//////also I have a boa secured card 99/500 which 5th statement cycles on the 27 of this month january do i request graduation on that that date or wait a couple days after the 5th statement cuts and what amount will they give you over credit line for their increase anybody have experience

4 REPLIES 4
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: amex and discover cli time frame and boa secured

On the Amex, you can request an increase as soon as 60 days after the account was open, Discover is going to be more like 6 months before you want to ask and as for what they will give you is going to be based on your specific profile, not just your scores, but the longer you wait, and build history with them , the more likely you will be to get a higher increase. I have no experience with BoA but I'm sure others will chime in with some solid advice and their experiences. 

Message 2 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

On the Amex, you can request an increase as soon as 60 days after the account was open, Discover is going to be more like 6 months before you want to ask and as for what they will give you is going to be based on your specific profile, not just your scores, but the longer you wait, and build history with them , the more likely you will be to get a higher increase. I have no experience with BoA but I'm sure others will chime in with some solid advice and their experiences. 

While it's true you can *attempt* to request a CLI at 60 days with Amex, it's likely you won't even be eligible to ask based on recent DPs, particularly when borderline approved with a $1k limit. Realistically, OP probably has to wait 100ish+ days before being able to ask.

@Santaclausthereal, how much you can go over your limit would be completely at every individual lender's discretion and based on your profile.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 5
Santaclausthereal
Contributor

thats nice to know i just checked with amex they told me i will be eligible to ask for an increase after 91 days i think ill get it.. thanks for the info ill update on boa once the 27th passes and let you all know what the increase is with them ive asked for alot of increases they only give me 1 denial reason of my account isnt 5 months old yet and i heard thats when they graduate so ill ask again probably on feb 1st they have me with a 99/500 deal going to ask them for 20k may get declined but hoping they will counter and i end up with a cl of around 5k-7.5k which is the goal in line with my other cards i have paypal with 8k 2 navy cc with 13k each and a 5k navy secured

Message 4 of 5
805orbust
Valued Contributor

The most Amex will give you is 3x the amount of your current limit.  I've always been chicken to ask for that much, but they've always been good with increases, although I usually let 7 months go by before asking.  Ymmv tho.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.