Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex backdating. success but confusing.

tag
toli77
Valued Member

amex backdating. success but confusing.

so i finally caved in this morning and pulled my scores.  

good news, amex backdated 1998 which is definitely exciting.  i reestablished relationship with them in 4/13 after the account closed in 2008.  

but the confusing part is that there is two accounts being as reported, i think.  

one says opned 2/1998, closed in 2/2008, with paid after collection.  

then there is another account reported as opened 4/1998 and is open as of now.  

i have had only one amex card in my life (i'm pretty sure) and it wouldn't make sense to open to two amex cards with 2 months apart in 1998, no matter how stupid i was about credit. i'm not complaining.  it was just odd.  anyone know what this is all about or has this happened to anyone?  

aaoa did help my score, but only about 7 points. 

and the sweetest thing of it all?  i started my journey in 1/2013.  in 5 months, i went from 709 to 799 on TU, 691 to 774 on EQ.  all this by pulling my record, reading all the posts on this forum, and taking action. thanks to everyone!  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: amex backdating. success but confusing.

Did you open your recent card in April? When AMEX backdates they use the current month that you opened the card and the year of your original membership.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 5
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

That is great news and excellent scores! It's funny but now that I have everything I want the score isn't as important. Let me explain, it's not that I don't care about it, but I wanted my score to help me get everything that it did help me get - morgage, car re-fi, prime credit cards... 

I too was able to backdate my Amex. I was able to have my "member since" date changed to 1994. I am so excited!

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 3 of 5
gsxrgt
New Contributor

They backdate it to whatever year you became a member in your case 1998 and then the month you applied for the new card which would be the April part making it 04/98.

Chase Ritz 20.5K, Freedom 11K, Chase Marriott 11K, Citi Prestige 12.5K, Citi Aadvantage Platinum 10.5k, Barclay US Airways 12.5k, Discover IT 12.7K, Amex BCP 23K, Amex PRG, Penfed Platinum Rewards 11K, Penfed PLOC 25k
Message 4 of 5
toli77
Valued Member

ohhhh!!!!  

that makes sense.  thanks for the info!  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.