Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex extended returns

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

amex extended returns

Does anyone know the benefits of this benefit from a practical standpoint? Extended returns sounds so great in theory, but can't see too much info on it.

On the AMEX site "In the event you change your mind about a purchase, Return Protection 1 offers an extended return policy on designated items purchased entirely with an eligible American Express® Card"

How do they determine what constitutes a designated item?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex extended returns

Return Protection
Program Description
Return Protection offers you product satisfaction on designated items purchased entirely with an eligible
American Express Card. If you try to return a designated item within 90 days from the date of purchase
and the merchant won’t take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price, up to $300 per
item, excluding shipping and handling, and up to a maximum of $1,000 annually per Cardmember
Account.
How to File a Return Protection Request
Once you have verified that the merchant will not accept the designated item, call 1-800-297-8019 within
90 days of the purchase date to notify us of your request. Within 30 days from the date of your initial call,
we need to receive the following:
• Original store receipt
• American Express Card record of charge
• Any other items deemed reasonable by us to process your request
Once your request has been approved, you will be instructed to send the purchased item to us within 30
days. Please keep a record of your shipping statement, as you will need to provide proof of shipping in
the event that your designated items are not received. You are responsible for the shipping and handling
charges for the item. The refund – up to $300 per item and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Cardmember
per year – will be reimbursed to you.
Limitations and Exclusions
Purchases must be made in the United States and charged in full on your Card. A refund will not be paid
if, on the date we receive your Return Protection Request, or on the date of would-be payment, any
amount on your Card Account is past due for one or more billing cycle(s) or your Card is canceled.
Refunds are limited to $300 per designated item, and $1,000 annually per Cardmember Account. The
item must be in “like new” condition (not visibly used or worn) and in working order to be eligible. An item
is eligible if it may not be returned by the Cardmember to the merchant from which it was originally
purchased. Any item purchased from a merchant that has an established return/ satisfaction guarantee
program which is greater than or equal to the terms of Return Protection, and provides coverage for
claim, will not be eligible for a Return Protection Refund. Product rebates, discounts or money received
from lowest price comparison programs will be deducted from the original cost of the item. The maximum
you will be compensated will not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.
Items not eligible for a refund are: animals and living plants; one-of-a-kind items (including antiques,
artwork, and furs); limited edition items; going-out-of-business sale items; consumable or perishable items
with limited life spans (such as perfume, light bulbs, non-rechargeable batteries); jewelry (including, but
not limited to, loose gems, precious stones, metals, and pearls); watches; services and additional costs
(such as installation charges, warranties, shipping, or memberships); rare and precious coins; used,
altered, rebuilt and refurbished items; custom-built items, cellular phones; pagers; compact discs; digital
video discs; mini discs; audiotapes; videotapes; computer software; firmware (such as console games,
Nintendo, etc.); maps; books of any kind; health care items (such as blood pressure machines and
diabetes equipment); formal wear; tickets of any kind; motorized vehicles (such as cars, trucks,
motorcycles, boats, or airplanes) and their parts; land and buildings; firearms; ammunition; negotiable
instruments (such as promissory notes, stamps and travelers checks); cash and its equivalent; and items
permanently affixed to home, office, vehicles, etc., (such as garage door openers, car alarms).

Message 2 of 8
compassion101
Established Contributor

Has anyone used this service before?

Message 3 of 8
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

bump

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 4 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

bump!

i havent used it yet. 

but i bought i keurig from khols and put it on the charge card for this reason. 

ive never had a problem with them but just in case.

seems everything breaks right after original warranty wears out. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had experience I was only able to pull up the terms you asked for. Are you looking to return something?

In my experience, the few times I had to speak with Amex CSR's, they were great and very helpful. I imagine as long as your purchase meets the criteria and you have documentation it would be a fairly easy thing to do.

Message 6 of 8
kittenkatt79
Established Member

I just used the return protection coverage for the first time this week.  I called in and they just needed basic information: date of purchase, date I verified that the vendor wouldn't accept the return, brand name and make of the item.  My claim was processed and a credit issued to my account in less than 24 hours.  I thought that I had to send the item I wanted to return to Amex, but so far they have not instructed me to do so - the item is just a $30 shirt, so perhaps they don't bother with making customers send in items that are under a certain $ value.

Cards: Amex BCE $9000 (9/2012), Citi Forward $8000 (6/2012), Discover More $7000 (5/2012), Chase Freedom $1200 (7/2008), Cap1 Platinum MC $4750 (7/2007)

FICO Scores: 753 TU (4/2013), 744 EX (9/2012), 713 EQ (8/2012)
Message 7 of 8
compassion101
Established Contributor

No I don't have anything to return. I'm just trying to gauge the value of the program. In theory it sounds highly valuable. The terms seem like alot to go through and not sure how much practical value it has for customers. Thanks for posting the terms.

Seems kittenkat found it pretty easy to make a return though so that's a positive.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.