Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex payments

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: amex payments

@pizzadude wrote:
I think that AMEX isn't really that bothered when you make multiple payments per month. At least I have never seen anything "official" from AMEX regarding this.

The ease of use and efficiency of use iof their online bill pay certainly supports making multiple payments as well. Anytime that I submit a payment my available credit Is immediately increased by the payment amount.

Also in my case, I really wouldnt be able to use my card if I didn't make multiple payments per week because I have a ZYNC with $200 hard limit.

+1

You pretty much have to make mutiple payments, I can't see them being nad about it with anyone. It shows you intend to PIF.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 26
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

We have the AmEx Delta platinum and have always made multiple payments, even when we're not even close to bumping up against our limit. In response, AmEx keeps bumping up our limit. We've gone from a starting limit of $2k up to a current limit of $13k (in less than 3 yrs). It's very seldom that we've even owed half of that, but they keep seeing fit to give us unrequested credit limit increases. I think the fact that AmEx sees multiple payments as a negative is a myth. (Everyone likes to get their money...especially when having it basically loaned to you is not earning interest for them. Why wouldn't they want you to pay it off?)

Also, AmEx used to have a limit on payments in that you couldn't make more than one payment in any 24-hr period. I have an old rant here on the forums about this silly rule. If you notice, that restriction is now gone. So, even AmEx values getting their payment when they can.

Message 12 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:
I just paid my amex bill the same day i got the statement but it was only a 1/3 of what i accutally paid because i would make payments thru out the month. Does amex like this? Or should i just wait and pay all at once

why would AMEX care, they made there money when you swiped your card. The sooner they get there money back the sooner they can lend it out again. Prime lenders like making there money on transactions not late fees. Fee's are a penalty and are signal to the creditor that your account may loose them money. First premie and other sub-prime lenders may like making most of there money off of fee's its not the way that prime lenders want to make there money. 

A lot of people freak out about how a credit card company is going feel about what I do with there card, if you pay your bill/account, don't go over your limit and don't ask for a manual review of your account no one will know what you are doing with your card, no red light flashes on someone desk when you charge $60 at the liquor store or when you make a $100 payment on your card. 

When a charge is processed its checks availble credit,  and subtracts from availible credit and notes the details of the transaction,  when you make a payment your bill the payment is noted and will be processed during the normal batch process cycle. The day after your due date they verify that if you have a balance on your account, that you have at least made your minimum monthly payment and your balance is sent to the credit reporting agencies. No humans are involved its all just a series of database transactions until you force it to become other wise with your actions. Call a CSR, filing a dispute, asking for for a CLI, missing a payment, Depending on your credit card company, having something negative happen to your credit report, multiple INQ's, having a late payment from another card show up. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 13 of 26
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

I am not sure where I heard this, but I was told that they do look at "average payment amount".  When you make multiple payments, that number becomes lower.  

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 14 of 26
Titan80300

Well said.  Whether single or multiple spread over the month, a payment is always a good thing for any cc company. 

@LS2982 wrote:

A payment is a payment and if you want to make multiples there shouldn't be 1 issue with it!

Message 15 of 26
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I have seen couple horror stories where AMEX did a FR after seeing multiple payments.

Message 16 of 26
Titan80300

I suspect it can happen over a few months if it significantly affects the average account balance or for someone who usually pays in full and ends up with increasing balance after going to multiple payment pattern.   

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I have seen couple horror stories where AMEX did a FR after seeing multiple payments.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Says who, boomhower?

I've had my BCE since August.  I pay 2-3 times a week on average.  No consequences as of yet.  

(I hate seeing that I owe money, therefor it's treated as a debit card, once a purchase posts, so does the payment)

Message 18 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

I have no idea what AmEx thinks, but for the charge card, avg payment is a part of the criteria in which they set or float your NPSL amount.  I have no ideal how much the factor it plays, but I'm sure it has some input.

I have no idea if this is used for the credit cards.

There have been FRs triggered because of frequent and large prepayment amounts.  For instance, if your CL is 2,000.  You prepay $5,000 (which is max), and charge $7,000, they can feel you're trying to circumvent the credit limit.  The CL is there for a reason, and Amex seems to dislike anyone who tries to "game" the system, such as gift cards for points, the US Mint, amazon/paypal payments to one's self, etc...Paying too frequently, and especially prepaying appears on the surface to be at best gaming the system to circumvent the CL, and at worst potential fraud.  I'm sure many other factors come into play, but this is certainly one of the triggers--not just with Amex, but other issuers.

Issuers may tolerate multiple payments, but issuers--Amex in particular--likes to correlate an invidividual's activity based on their experience with other cardmembers.  In their database, the overwhelming majorit of their best cardmembers never prepay, and only pay once--in full for a charge card--when the balance is due.  The overwhelming of Amex cardmembers couldn't care less about gaming the system for scoring or any other purpose.

This isn't to say there isn't a valid reason for gaming for a higher score.  For most, it appears to be "outlier" behavior.

I don't think this activity in of itself would lead to any adverse action.  But, it certainly isn't anything that will help you either.  This should not be taken the wrong way, but in our firm, when we have clients deviating from the usual pattern of our best clients, I automatically assume "this is amateur night," because it just isn't the norm of our industry to do things a certain way.

Message 19 of 26
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I have had my BCE for 3 months now.  I  PIF about 3 times a month, depending on how much I spend.  When I PIF, I also include all pending charges.  So far, I have not had a problem. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.