Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex pre approval variable apr

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex pre approval variable apr

I got my first Amex in August after burning many many years ago. I was only pre approved back then for the gold and green. 

I have been checking every week on pre approval to see if there are any new ones coming up. For the most part there weren't that many that have come up. Tonight I was pre approved for almost every card. But all of them were showing variable rates from 17-24%. Does that mean they aren't legit pre approvals?

I am actually in the garden right now and not really looking for a new card(except possibly a 2nd NFCU). Just want to know if I'm improving in the eyes of Amex.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex pre approval variable apr

This is somehow normal for Amex preapproval nowadays. As an Amex cardmrmber I am preapproved for almost all their cards (the page says I am preapproved if I login to my account and view the credit cards), but the credit card APRs are not fixed rates showing.

If you are a cardmember and the page says preapproved, you should be fine. Even if you apply and get denied, there is a good chance there won’t be a hard pull if you are a current Amex member.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I am not applying. I just like to check to see if I am improving in the eyes of the lenders. It is kind of motivation to see when no one would grant me anything to seeing that I can get different cards. As I said I am gardening now unless I can get my 2nd NFCU in 2 weeks. If I can get that then maybe 2020 I will go for another Amex and Penfed. But no sooner.

Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

No harm in checking just to see if you can get a feel for where you are at. I do think it is somewhat difficult to look at preapprovals as a definitive sign of what the lender thinks.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I like to point out, having preapprovals doesnt necessarily mean you are improving in their eyes. I have never had nor still dont have any preaprovals from Amex ( or anyone for that matter ). Knowing your report and seeing improvements in score are better indicators. As an aside, what made me feel im improving with Amex was actually qualifying for a personal loan from them . You just cant apply for that one , you have to have an offerSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had no idea Amex gave out loans. That is good to know. I guess that is my new goal.

Message 6 of 7
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I like to point out, having preapprovals doesnt necessarily mean you are improving in their eyes. I have never had nor still dont have any preaprovals from Amex ( or anyone for that matter ). Knowing your report and seeing improvements in score are better indicators. As an aside, what made me feel im improving with Amex was actually qualifying for a personal loan from them . You just cant apply for that one , you have to have an offerSmiley Happy

I just noticed that offer for a PL on my statement. Not going to take them up on it since I’ve gone through route through PenFed. But very cool to know I’m going in the right direction! 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.