Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex site is broken

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex site is broken

Correct; by itself Incognito Mode does not have a cache.  But if you browse a site using a regular window, then open Incognito Mode and go to the same site, Chrome detects that you had visited the site and starts pre-populating as soon as you begin typing the URL.  That's why I suggested clearing the browser's cache, and not just cookies, to remove the locally stored version of the site.

Also, it appears you're using Safari mobile browser...its quite possible that their mobile pages are broken.  I never use mobile browsers for things I consider confidential; instead I use the mobile app or switch to a desktop browser on a laptop or desktop computer.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct; by itself Incognito Mode does not have a cache.  But if you browse a site using a regular window, then open Incognito Mode and go to the same site, Chrome detects that you had visited the site and starts pre-populating as soon as you begin typing the URL.  That's why I suggested clearing the browser's cache, and not just cookies, to remove the locally stored version of the site.

Also, it appears you're using Safari mobile browser...its quite possible that their mobile pages are broken.  I never use mobile browsers for things I consider confidential; instead I use the mobile app or switch to a desktop browser on a laptop or desktop computer.

I am well aware of all of the above. I was pointing out that I can cause an error. 

AMEX does not have a mobile site for CLIs so the page should theoretically be the same between mobile and desktop. You're welcome to try to confirm or disprove that theory if you like. As of now, there are two of us who actually went to the page and found it to not be working. I thought the other person was the OP but I guess not, I'm not going to go dig for it though. 

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't answer your question but this happened to me today. Went on amex from my laptop and got a sign-up bonus offer of 175/1500 on the cash magnet. Didn't like that so I looked from my cell phone and got 175/1000. I decided to app for that and after filling in all my info but before a HP I got a message that said I wasn't eligible for the bonus because of my previous history with amex or something like that. Literally the only card I've ever had from amex is the spg/bonvoy that is still open and in good standing in my signature. Weird.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am well aware of all of the above. I was pointing out that I can cause an error. 

AMEX does not have a mobile site for CLIs so the page should theoretically be the same between mobile and desktop. You're welcome to try to confirm or disprove that theory if you like. As of now, there are two of us who actually went to the page and found it to not be working. I thought the other person was the OP but I guess not, I'm not going to go dig for it though. 

Nah, I'm not about to get into a back and forth with you.  Like I said I don't enter what I consider to be confidential/personal information in mobile web browsers (too many trackers) so I'm not about to prove/disprove anything.  For me, the Amex mobile app and the desktop versions of their website work just fine.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then the popup is an error.... I think Amex has been getting a bit anti-SUB with pushing the popup but, people have reported no issues in getting paid out even with the popup.  I started getting the popup back in Feb?  and avoided the apps since then to see what others experiences were post approval / spend.  Then I picked up 5 cards so... yeah... time to sit out for a bit either way.  

Now I'm pondering if it's worthwhile to CLI those new cards / existing cards or hunt down some enticing bonuses again.  They get a bit harder to find when you've already snagged the best ones and trying to wiggle your way through all of the churning rules.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nah, I'm not about to get into a back and forth with you.  Like I said I don't enter what I consider to be confidential/personal information in mobile web browsers (too many trackers) so I'm not about to prove/disprove anything.  For me, the Amex mobile app and the desktop versions of their website work just fine.

So you did go confirm that it works fine on desktop when you go to request a CLI? Because that's exactly what I was suggesting you do since you are convinced it's my browser that's the issue and I'm not convinced that's it at all. Troubleshooting 101 - narrow down whether the issue is universal or not. 

Message 16 of 27
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I saw the same error message about a credit limit increase in Chrome on a Mac, a couple of days ago. I haven't looked again (decided to wait before applying).

The chat feature vanished for me from Amex's site about a month ago, again Chrome on a Mac. I can only chat now via the mobile app.

I really like the site and app, other than those two issues. They have good information architecture and understand what users want to see and do via the site/app.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 17 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

*cough*

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all of this talk I checked for a Chrome update besdes all of the news about some new Zero-Day issues being reported and there's an update availabel.

go under Help / About Chrome and it will start the download automatically.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

*cough*

Hairball?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.