Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

an FYI on closing Synch store cards...

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

an FYI on closing Synch store cards...

You may not know this,,,, but, you should think carefully before YOU close a store  card with them, and really think to yourself...."Do I really need this card?  Can I live without it?"  Once its closed....its closed!  

The reason to ask yourself those questions is because Synch has a hard/fast rule,  no exceptions, that if YOU close a store card with them, you cant reapply for the same card for 1 year. 

Just something to think about if you decide to close one. A lot of people here dont know this...Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: an FYI on closing Synch store cards...

Im glad someone else noticed that too. Ive said it before and never got any comment on it. Someone recently said they opened up a old navy store card online, then closed it and applied for a visa in store and was approved. I was surprised by that because usually you are banned for 12 months. When I closed TJX in Oct. 2014, i could reopen it till Oct 2015. Same with Walmart. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

You may not know this,,,, but, you should think carefully before YOU close a store  card with them, and really think to yourself...."Do I really need this card?  Can I live without it?"  Once its closed....its closed!  

The reason to ask yourself those questions is because Synch has a hard/fast rule,  no exceptions, that if YOU close a store card with them, you cant reapply for the same card for 1 year. 

Just something to think about if you decide to close one. A lot of people here dont know this...Smiley Wink

I've seen a few "Amazon closure regret" threads.

I guess either a lot of people were churning store cards for tiny bonuses, or Synchrony felt they had too many finicky customers.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if I close my old navy it forces the visa version to go through if they like me. Win lol.
Message 4 of 10
onstar
Established Contributor

Is this a new thing?

Early 2015, I opened the Amazon Store Card about 3 months after I closed it down.

In May 2015, I opened the Lowe's card about 2 weeks after I closed the old card.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this.  I recently closed Sunglass Hut after paying off the 6 month financing and when I did, they let me know that I wouldn't be able to reopen the account for a year.  Never thought to post that though, thanks!

Message 6 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@onstar wrote:

Is this a new thing?

Early 2015, I opened the Amazon Store Card about 3 months after I closed it down.

In May 2015, I opened the Lowe's card about 2 weeks after I closed the old card.

Not too new...But on the amazon web site when I closed mine, a messaged popped up saying I couldnt open another one for a year. Anytime you close the card, you have to wait a yr to reopen the same card.

Message 7 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Don't think I've ever had "Closers Remorse" after I decided to close cards - generally I close higher APR cards or non-useful cards - at least those being cards I don't use. I still have way too many cards so closing another 6-8 is going to be hard enough, but I need to close 10 or 12 to get down to a core of high credit limts (minimum $10k) and lower APR's (say under $14%). Note I generally PIF on all my cards unless I'm in a 00% promotion of special financing (Example Lowes 5.99 % on a $10,000 new roof), but still looking at $25 to $27% APR's from Sync or Comenity just bugs me - so who needs the grief. 

Laura, you did it right, use the accounts to get better accounts then dump them and their $25+ APR's - Closers Remose? never happen....

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has to be a YMMV thing because I closed my old navy store card to turn around and reapply in store a few weeks later and I was able to open the visa. Or maybe it will catch up with me and they'll AA me lol. Time will tell.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it's because the store card was applied for online and the visa I applied for in store three weeks after I closed the store card.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.