....and DISCOVER

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: ....and DISCOVER

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Preetymoney wrote:
Lol I'm in the same boat. Tried it out earlier today with no luck. Waiting on my letter with the reason.

insufficient experience with current credit limit.

Wow that is some reason to decline a cli. What is considered sufficient experience I wonder?

They say 90 days but in reality there's no way of telling. Do you guys that get decline for a CLI run a lot through or just a few here and there. 

Here's an example of my card, got the card in Nov. '14 $11.5k SL. Ran $2500 on card right off the bat and paid $1k of that at statement (only because I know they like to see a balance). By around 50 something days later an auto $800 (weird number but whatever) CLI bringing it up to $12.3k, then a couple of weeks ago when people were getting a SP CLI I decided to try it too $1k CLI bringing it up to $13.3k. During this whole time using the card for the 5% category. And now rcently got a $3k SP CLI bring it to $16.3k all while having a balance of around $2k. I never pay it off completely (usually about half the balance) because I'm still in the 0% period and I know that Discover like to see usuage and a balance for some strange reason. I hope that helps some of you out there. This is my experience and it works for me, YMMV.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 11 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Preetymoney wrote:
Lol I'm in the same boat. Tried it out earlier today with no luck. Waiting on my letter with the reason.

insufficient experience with current credit limit.

Wow that is some reason to decline a cli. What is considered sufficient experience I wonder?

They say 90 days but in reality there's no way of telling. Do you guys that get decline for a CLI run a lot through or just a few here and there. 

Here's an example of my card, got the card in Nov. '14 $11.5k SL. Ran $2500 on card right off the bat and paid $1k of that at statement (only because I know they like to see a balance). By around 50 something days later an auto $800 (weird number but whatever) CLI bringing it up to $12.3k, then a couple of weeks ago when people were getting a SP CLI I decided to try it too $1k CLI bringing it up to $13.3k. During this whole time using the card for the 5% category. And now rcently got a $3k SP CLI bring it to $16.3k all while having a balance of around $2k. I never pay it off completely (usually about half the balance) because I'm still in the 0% period and I know that Discover like to see usuage and a balance for some strange reason. I hope that helps some of you out there. This is my experience and it works for me, YMMV.

Sometimes, usage only.

I didn't carry a balance (or let them report) for the past 6 months or so and still got couple of CLIs. Usage may matter more. 

Message 12 of 22
ElizaBen
Established Member

They hate me as well... I have continued to try to get a CLI with them and no luv at all.   The one time I got an increase I literally had to call a backdoor number and almost fight to get it.

Starting Score:
EQ-690, TU-705, EX-695
Current Score: EQ-772, TU-755, EX-768
Goal Score: 800+ Across ALL

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Hold on...

I think I found a logic in Discover's madness.

I've got a CLI right after they've SPed my CR to get the score. They SP me every 17th and report the score to me on 21-23rd (statement date is 23rd). 

I haven't tried this after every SP, but any CLI has been right after the last SP. Maybe I'll keep trying between 17th and 23rd of the month and report. Next button push on 17th May coming up.

Message 14 of 22
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hold on...

I think I found a logic in Discover's madness.

I've got a CLI right after they've SPed my CR to get the score. They SP me every 17th and report the score to me on 21-23rd (statement date is 23rd). 

I haven't tried this after every SP, but any CLI has been right after the last SP. Maybe I'll keep trying between 17th and 23rd of the month and report. Next button push on 17th May coming up.

Hmmmmmmm, I've been trying everyday to no avail but my new TU FICO hasn't generated yet so you're probably right.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Don't give up yet.... use the card whenever it makes sense and show good payment history. It took me 15 months until my Discover IT  finally made a move but then all of the sudden kept moving every 3 months to where it is now.  I started out with 2,5K in December 12 and the card started to grow in February 14 and is now 11,5K so it has grown very fast after the first 15 months. Who knows it might happen to you as well.  Good luck.  Btw.. For me the results with moderate use was way better than with heavy usage Smiley Sad  (might just be a coincidence)

Message 16 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Don't give up yet.... use the card whenever it makes sense and show good payment history. It took me 15 months until my Discover IT  finally made a move but then all of the sudden kept moving every 3 months to where it is now.  I started out with 2,5K in December 12 and the card started to grow in February 14 and is now 11,5K so it has grown very fast after the first 15 months. Who knows it might happen to you as well.  Good luck.  Btw.. For me the results with moderate use was way better than with heavy usage Smiley Sad  (might just be a coincidence)

He he Smiley Very Happy

Let's race. (JK)

I started with $750 in March 2013. 11.5k as of today.

Discover seems pleased with me. I hope they stay that way Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

He he Smiley Very Happy

Let's race. (JK)

lol.... congrats you already won the race Smiley Happy ...for me it was more a marathon at least at the beginning.. ..ha ha

Message 18 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

He he Smiley Very Happy

Let's race. (JK)

lol.... congrats you already won the race Smiley Happy ...for me it was more a marathon at least at the beginning.. ..ha ha

Oh well my first CLI came for a HP after 6 months and then another 6 months before the auto CLI. Lots of declined attempts in between! So not a sprint.

And good luck to you. Get to 15k. We know you love nice figures.

Message 19 of 22
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Discover wants to see usage. I have had no CLI problems with average scores that have only gone down since opening the account, as I use the account a lot.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.