Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for a credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

applying for a credit card

i was in chase the other day and just to feed my curiosity i asked the cr if applying for a credit card at the bank through him would better my chances of being approved. now i'm not sure if he was just saying this so that I would apply but he said there is a better chance because if I get denied by the computer, he would be able to call in and recommend that I get approved. he said chase apparently has given them more responsibilities in decisions such as these therefore i would have more leeway.

any thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: applying for a credit card

He can recommend, but it is ultimately in the hands of computer and credit analyst. People at the branch have no authority to make a credit card decision.

Message 2 of 5
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i was in chase the other day and just to feed my curiosity i asked the cr if applying for a credit card at the bank through him would better my chances of being approved. now i'm not sure if he was just saying this so that I would apply but he said there is a better chance because if I get denied by the computer, he would be able to call in and recommend that I get approved. he said chase apparently has given them more responsibilities in decisions such as these therefore i would have more leeway.

any thoughts?

Yes, if a CSR at Chase recommended that you apply for a credit card through him, definitely let him do it for you. His recommendation and desire to do a recon for you will probably get your foot in the door. One of my friends was actually denied for many cards but found a friend's friend who was a CSR at a bank and helped her get the card she wanted, with a high CL too!

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, if i'm going to apply anyway, i guess it wouldn't hurt to try it this way.

Message 4 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Sometimes applying in person helps.

When I had no credit at all. As in, not a single tradeline just HP's. I went to my bank (us bank) to get a credit card. At the time I had two branches near my house. One of them I went to a few times. They said it was impossible for me to get a card, and that I could not even get a secured card. One day I decided to go to the other branch. I explained my situation to the rep who seemed more like a friend than a banker. That banker pushed my app through and got me approved for an unsecured card with no previous credit history.

So yes, sometimes applying in person is helpful. But there is a chance that the banker gets a bonus for getting you to app, so the banker you talked to might have just been blowing smoke.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.