Did you mean: 

are these cards reasonable?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

are these cards reasonable?

Hey guys,

First post on the forum!

I'm really trying to add on a few more cards to take advantage of the cash back benefits they have. I currently have a Discover More, open for 8 months, and Wells Fargo, open for 2 months. Ideally, I'd like to get either an Amex Blue Cash or Amex Fidelity, a Chase Freedom, and a Citi Forward for restaurants. 

I pulled my credit scores and they're all around 730 with no late payments. I have 1 hard pull in the past 6 months on my TU and EQ and 2 on EX. However, in the past year, i have 4 on EQ, 5 on TU, and 8 on EX. 

Can anyone explain why EX is so much higher, if I can call them to remove some of my pulls, and how much they will affect my ability to obtain more cards.

I figure I'd first apply for the Amex, since its the hardest to get, followed in succession by the Chase and Citi. How likely is it that I will be approved given my current state? Does anyone have an estimate of the scores that I need to get approval for these cards?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: are these cards reasonable?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

First post on the forum!

I'm really trying to add on a few more cards to take advantage of the cash back benefits they have. I currently have a Discover More, open for 8 months, and Wells Fargo, open for 2 months. Ideally, I'd like to get either an Amex Blue Cash or Amex Fidelity, a Chase Freedom, and a Citi Forward for restaurants. 

I pulled my credit scores and they're all around 730 with no late payments. I have 1 hard pull in the past 6 months on my TU and EQ and 2 on EX. However, in the past year, i have 4 on EQ, 5 on TU, and 8 on EX. 

Can anyone explain why EX is so much higher, if I can call them to remove some of my pulls, and how much they will affect my ability to obtain more cards.

I figure I'd first apply for the Amex, since its the hardest to get, followed in succession by the Chase and Citi. How likely is it that I will be approved given my current state? Does anyone have an estimate of the scores that I need to get approval for these cards?

If Discover is your oldest tradeline at 8 months, I seriously doubt Chase or AmEx will touch you -- except maybe AmEx Zync. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is your average age of accounts? Have you ever applied for any other cards than discover and well fargo or

auto loan or mortgage loan within last year? How in your income? if you make good amount ( preferably 40K up),

I would suggest applying for fidelity amex first as I believe it's a little easier to be approved than amex revolving

and citi forward. I got one when my aaoa is at 7 months with 2 trade lines and have 4 EX inquiries, 3 TU inquiries

within past year. FIA/BOA pull EX first then I believe they don't like what they saw much so they pulled TU 2 days later 

before approved my application. I have read from another forum recently that if your application for fidelity is not

instantly approved, there will usually be human review before final decision. If you have bank account with chase,

I would suggest go for freedom but I think you will likely be denied first then you need to request reconsideration to get it.

If you aaoa is lower than 1 year, I would avoid amex revolving and citi at this point. However, people usually recommend

to apply for amex charge card to establish relationship first then applying for amex revolver later on.

Message 3 of 4
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

I would say since you've gotten two good cards within the past year you should hold off on applying. Prime banks will probably see the new accounts and think you are desparate for credit. Unless you have a high income or something, I'd just wait.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.