Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asking for a CLI

tag
Weights
Regular Contributor

asking for a CLI

As most of you know, a lot of creditors require that you state a desired amount of increase when the cardholder seeks this.  Even when I've just stated whatever I qualify for, I'm always told that a desired amount must be stated for the consideration to take place.  I've had some reps tell me to just state whatever the highest amount I'd want.  Obviously, most of us will draw a fine line in thinking of this number.  For example, if one were to say $100k from a $1k limit, that will likely draw a lot of unwanted attention.  On the contrary, if only $2k were requested, he/she might be limiting themselves too much.  

Thus, I'm wondering, what do most of you do in deciding the number to put in for a request?  What have been your experiences with various creditors?  Of course, this excludes AMEX, since most everyone around here knows their max is 3X the current credit line.  Personally, I usually request a large amount knowing that it won't likely be fully granted, but I also keep it within some reason.  Sometimes, I've even called back a couple of hours later on the same day to put in another request if it was a HP, knowing that the creditor won't likely do another HP then.  Amazingly enough, I've sometimes had 2 increases in one day by this method.  When asked why I was calling back in, I explained that my previous conversation seemed to indicate that I might have qualified for a bigger amount, and am just trying to make the most use out of the HP.  It's like trying a second reconsideration when declined for a card after the first resulted in a sustain of the initial decision. 

In my experience, Discover will sometimes use the same HP from the last 30 days if a subsequent request is made (presuming the first request required a HP).  Sometimes, Barclays will use a SP if a HP was done within the last 30 days.  This was so in both cases when I asked for a second CLI using the technique described above. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mattmix36
Contributor

Re: asking for a CLI

Good topic...Maybe not the most strategic algorithum, but I use nice, round, numbers to help me determine what I'll ask for my next CLI.  For example, if I had a $500 limit, I'll ask for 1k...If I have 1k, I'll ask for 5k...If I have 5k, I'll ask for 10k...then 20k...then 25k.  That's the way that I look at it, but I have a lot of time to build up my cards (no rush or hurry here Smiley Wink

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you have 1 card with say $10k and 4 cards at under say $2k then when I ask for cli on the small cards I'd be asking for $10k.

navy always ask for $25k, they counter

lowes and Home Depot - ask for $15-20k I say... They counter

most don't have a rule I would say just depends

Message 3 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

It really depends on the company for me.  I usually ask for a high limt increase knowing they will likely counter.  For some I simply just ask for whatever.  I barely mentioned to FNBO that I thought the limit was low and they told me let me check on that for you and easily more than doubled my limit.  For Discover I had to take a HP, but went from $1000 to $5000, which included talking to an analyst.  It was a much better experience than when I called Chase and asked to go from $500 to $5000, even the analyst would only give me $1500.  (I did use the Discover card a bit more than I had used the Chase card.)

Some lenders are better than others about giving increases, so yes research is good to help things along.  You should probably ask about individual lenders to get a better idea of how to approach them.  If it's Capital One, you will probably have to get the Executive Office involved if you really want a good increase and deserve it.  After 2 years at $500 with them I had to get the EO involved to go to $1500, then to $3500, I finally got a regular increase from the online system.  I was truly amazed by that!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 5
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am not asking for more than 10K because that is already more than what my income can handle ...but If a lender gives me a higher starting limit..fine..but on these cards I will never ask for a CLI. My only trouble card Discover which started me with 2,5K finally granted me the CLI to 5K after 15 months....so that is fine for me...Happy to say I do not need any more CLIs ....5K is working great...10K is nice and anything above is crazy with my income...but hey I will take it Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.