cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asking for increase after having to call recon for approval

tag
skp6

asking for increase after having to call recon for approval

Im new to posting in the forum but have been reading the blogs for awhile now. I have a not so great score of exp 690 tu 644 and unsure of eq. I recen5ly applied for the disney visa from chase to start building points for a vacation planned to disney in december. It was initially declined instantly.  I found a backdoor number (thanks to these amazing blogs) called didnt really have to answer any questions and was approved for 500cl at 14% not the best cl or apr but compared to my 2 cap 1 cards and Barclays card that apr was fantastic.  So getting to my question i was hoping for at least a 1k limit. All my others are only 500 (one cap one is about to get bumped to 750. My utilization is at about % 65 but I just paid one card in full. I also went on a spree somewhat and now have 12 inquires,  horrible I know, can I ask for an increase within 30 days of the application for a CLI without being dinged again? And is it even worth a shot considering I had to recon just to be approved? Heres some info on my accts

American eagle AU 1400limit have had on my report 3 years

Abercrombie AU 700limit have had it on my report 3 years

Barclays nfl card AU 750 limit have had it 7 months

Capital one basic card 500 limit about to be bumped to 750 have had 6monyhs

Capital one cash rewards 500limit have had it 2months

After the chase Disney, I applied with USAA (my husband is active duty and we have insurance and savings with them) and was approved for their most basic card with a 1k limit, I wasnt aware until after there are really no beifits with this card, ugh. Will that 1 k limit be seen by chase already? Since im still so fresh to chase should I wait 90 days use the card/PIF then ask for CLI?Another thing, I applied for chase freedom 3 days ago, after seeing what that card is about I want it!!! I was denied for having just applied for a chase card4d. The rep from the backdoor number was so extremely rude to me and stated im not allowed to have more then one chase card, my credit is good enough to but im not allowed...worth another recon?? I want to balance transfer my crummy cap one card that doesn't have any rewards and the Barclays nfl since ive come to realize the rewards program it has doesnt benifit ustat all.  any input good or bad would help!! Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: asking for increase after having to call recon for approval

@skp6 wrote:

Im new to posting in the forum but have been reading the blogs for awhile now. I have a not so great score of exp 690 tu 644 and unsure of eq. I recen5ly applied for the disney visa from chase to start building points for a vacation planned to disney in december. It was initially declined instantly.  I found a backdoor number (thanks to these amazing blogs) called didnt really have to answer any questions and was approved for 500cl at 14% not the best cl or apr but compared to my 2 cap 1 cards and Barclays card that apr was fantastic.  So getting to my question i was hoping for at least a 1k limit. All my others are only 500 (one cap one is about to get bumped to 750. My utilization is at about % 65 but I just paid one card in full. I also went on a spree somewhat and now have 12 inquires,  horrible I know, can I ask for an increase within 30 days of the application for a CLI without being dinged again? It will be another inquiry.And is it even worth a shot considering I had to recon just to be approved? If I were you, I would not ask for a CLI right now.Chances are it will be denied. If you're unlucky you might just get AA after they notice the new accounts and inquiries u got.  Heres some info on my accts

American eagle AU 1400limit have had on my report 3 years

Abercrombie AU 700limit have had it on my report 3 years

Barclays nfl card AU 750 limit have had it 7 months

Capital one basic card 500 limit about to be bumped to 750 have had 6monyhs

Capital one cash rewards 500limit have had it 2months

After the chase Disney, I applied with USAA (my husband is active duty and we have insurance and savings with them) and was approved for their most basic card with a 1k limit, I wasnt aware until after there are really no beifits with this card, ugh. Will that 1 k limit be seen by chase already? If it has yet to report to your bureaus yet, Chase won't see it. They can see the inquiry however. Since im still so fresh to chase should I wait 90 days use the card/PIF then ask for CLI? 6-12 months would be a better timeframe since your scores are on the lower end. Another thing, I applied for chase freedom 3 days ago, after seeing what that card is about I want it!!! I was denied for having just applied for a chase card4d. You need to stop applying for anything, especially with Chase. You're basically flagging yourself for a financial review. The rep from the backdoor number was so extremely rude to me and stated im not allowed to have more then one chase card, You can have more than 1 chase card. my credit is good enough to but im not allowed He probably was referring to your CR. Are there any derogs on your CR? What is causing your score to be in the 600s?...worth another recon?? You can always try, but at the same time you're basically telling an analyst to manually review your file. So there's a chance of AA as well. I want to balance transfer my crummy cap one card that doesn't have any rewards and the Barclays nfl since ive come to realize the rewards program it has doesnt benifit ustat all.  any input good or bad would help!! Thanks!

You have to be patient and stop applying for anything for the next 12 months.

Are there any derogs on your file?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Welcome to myFICO and good luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 8
skp6

Thank you for that input! The American eagle card has one 30 day delinquency from 6m ago. Its stupid because it wasnt our fault. Their system malfunctioned and didnt take our auto pay, locked me out of the online act and every time I called to resolve the issue they told me it was taken care of my payment would post within 7 to10 days. ?..well this ended up going on for so long they reported us delinquent. And refuse to report it was their fault. Anyways im also told my average account age isnt long enough and high utilization.  I was really hoping to ask for the increase by our trip in december. Im going to do this "gardening" thing until then maybe I could get just another 500 increase. Would I be better off using the disney visa for groceries, gas, ect and PIF every month or just using it for a few things and only paying the mimium? I want to look like im worth them extending me more credit in the future. Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

wait at least 6 months from your last AP, anything less you appear to be seeking credit, and they will see your high UTL and new accounts and will instantly deny you. Recon is doubtful, after 6  months you will be in a much better position especially if you get your UTL down. To be honest if you can't get your UTL down in 6 months, you are allready overspending, and you should probably think about skipping the vacation or spend it at home, 23% interest will add up and hurt you even more long term.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 8
skp6

I have no issue paying down the utilization in  that time frame. Whats a good place to have it, im at 65% now. And im not paying for the vacation would just like to be able to use the Disney visa while in disney and get some rewards.

Message 6 of 8
SpeeDj
Regular Contributor

9% is what most will tell you utilization should be under. A lot will say that you shouldn't have more than one card reporting utilization as well just my two cents.

JP

TU:552 | EQ:561 | EX:567 | Starting Score [LP from 08]
TU:693 | EQ:682 | EX:700 | Current Score [11.21.13]
[720 Overall] Goal Score - The grass is greener in the garden! (Amex made me fall out... since 12.13)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@skp6 wrote:

Thank you for that input! The American eagle card has one 30 day delinquency from 6m ago. Its stupid because it wasnt our fault. Their system malfunctioned and didnt take our auto pay, locked me out of the online act and every time I called to resolve the issue they told me it was taken care of my payment would post within 7 to10 days. ?..well this ended up going on for so long they reported us delinquent. And refuse to report it was their fault. Anyways im also told my average account age isnt long enough and high utilization.  I was really hoping to ask for the increase by our trip in december. Im going to do this "gardening" thing until then maybe I could get just another 500 increase. Would I be better off using the disney visa for groceries, gas, ect and PIF every month or just using it for a few things and only paying the mimium? I want to look like im worth them extending me more credit in the future. Thanks!

any kind of deliquency within the past 18 month is going to affect your approval odds quite significantly.

You could try disputing the American Eagle late payment if you have records or any kind of evidence to prove what you said happened.

Chase likes heavy usage, so use that card as much as you can and that should improve your odds. Make it a point to pay in full, if not at least most. 

The ideal utilization ratio is 1-9%. Remember, do not drag high balances across all your cards. Doing so usually will result in AA.

Do not apply for anything in the next 6 months and your chances should be better.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.