Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

balance?

tag
coroc
Valued Member

balance?

So question is?? Is it bad for a balance to report? Even though u ALWAYS pay in full?
On my way! $FG
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: balance?

it is and it isnt. 

if your not applying for anything then go for it. 

any points you would lose from util and another card reporting will go back as soon as you pif and they report the card. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 16
coroc
Valued Member

U answered that question perfectly. Thats exactly wat im doing cuz im in the garden but wanted to know if i PIF after a few months or so(0% APR on cards) will my score bounce back
On my way! $FG
Message 3 of 16
coroc
Valued Member

Thank you CREDITNOCASH
On my way! $FG
Message 4 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

it is and it isnt. 

any points you would lose from util and another card reporting will go back as soon as you pif and they report the card. 

Someone please confirm this.

Let said both A & B had a same credit profile. Same credit score limit and etc.........

A always paid it in full and keep the balance utili under 9%.

B carry balance and make payment on time.

At 6 months mark, IF they both keep the Utili under 9%.

Will their score  increase the same at the 6 months mark even thou they using different method to manage their credit card payment.????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent question,, and I'm very curious to see some input.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 16
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

it is and it isnt. 

Someone please confirm this.

Let said both A & B had a same credit profile. Same credit score limit and etc.........

A always paid it in full and keep the balance utili under 9%.

B carry balance and make payment on time.

At 6 months mark, IF they both keep the Utili under 9%.

Will their score  increase the same at the 6 months mark even thou they using different method to manage their credit card payment.????

You said B carries a balance and makes payments on time versus A PIF and keeping util under 9%. 

I think it depends on several factors, there's no hard and fast answer. 

1 - If A is keeping Util under 9%, I think it depends what percentage rate, and for how long.  This could vary. 

2 - B carries a balance but makes payments on time.  But what is the size of the balance?  Couple hundred $$?  Several thousand $$?  That's going to be a factor also

3 - B may be making payments on time, but if only paying the minimum and not really reducing the overall balance, that may have an impact.

4 - You initially said that A and B had the same credit profile; same credit,same score, same limit, etc.  But they don't.  The fact that they pay differently is the diference in their profiles.So they are not identical.  And that could impact scores.

And as creditnocash stated (correctly) if you're not applying for anything, then go for it!  Scores are going to go up and down.  The dings one takes are made up when the benefits of those dings are less of a factor and the benefit part kicks in.

Message 7 of 16
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

I haven't done a full experiment or anything, but in the months leading up too black friday/christmas i was playing with util and such. 

i didnt let anything HUGE report but i didnt spend that much ethier. 

since a credit score is a snapshot of your credit at THAT moment it can vary by person and its obviously ymmv. 

i thought it was a sticked post but cant find it where people actually did play the game for up too 6 months. 

i pif on all cards but 2 (one spending and one 0% best buy purchase) when i let one other report i lost anywhere from 3-6 points. 

my cards were never maxed though. then i let a second report and another -5 points dropped. then the next month came around and i paid both in full etc.. 

i regained the points i lost and then some 

(but also some accounts were over the six month mark and there were other contributing factors!)

like i said your credit score is a snap shot! 

so as long as you pay on time, it shouldnt really matter until your applying for something

im just ocd and hate seeing my util so high(over 10%). i stress over the fact that i did not pif and ill be getting interest tacked on lol. ( i dont;let balances report, but you get the idea)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 8 of 16
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

another thing i didnt mention to the a and b thought. 

i know on MY reports from annualcredit report i can see the balances/limits/min payments/actual payments/date paid vs due. on softs you cannot. 

since each person is different no matter who they are its all relative info. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 9 of 16
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I think the answer is that the utilization factor of your FICO score only considers present balances; it doesn't take into account your history of balances. Utilization of X% will give you a FICO score of Y; it doesn't matter if your utilization last month was 100% or 0%. Past balances are on your report, and might be a factor in manual reviews, but from my understanding of FICO scoring, past utilization simply isn't a part of the algorithms.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.