cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

be cautious - filing complaint with CFPB/FRCH...closed credit cards/accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: be cautious - filing complaint with CFPB/FRCH...closed credit cards/accounts

@Anonymous wrote:

Be cautious if you have any other credit accounts with the same lender/bank when filing any complaint with CFPB ...

I used CFPB in 2018 & 2019 to successfully argue against a CRA and a major financial institution. I've felt no blowback. As always, YMMV. 

Message 11 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: be cautious - filing complaint with CFPB/FRCH...closed credit cards/accounts

@Deuter wrote:

I don't understand does this www.fltreasurehunt.gov is a part of what you are saying? My name recently appeared here telling me that Citibank (which is my main bank) owned me around $900. I don't know if to apply myself for that or leave it alone. 

If what you are saying is true then i leave this stuff without action as i don't want any problems in my relationship with Citibank for $900 or a much larger sum. I don't quite understand if this type of stuff is the same you're mentioning (not from USA, have to research)

Your case is entirely different - you likely have either have a dormant account or a deposit made in your name but with incorrect/invalid account information and they reported it to the state for public disclosure.   Go ahead and file with the correct state agency to get your money, there's no risk of incurring any kind of hard feelings or negative association with the bank by doing so as they themselves already consider the money to be legitimately yours.   You will just have to validate your identity to the state agency handling the program before they release the money.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I've filed multiple CFPB complaints as well as complaints directly with the FDIC and the NCUA against member institutions.

My complaints were legitimate and non-trivial  In a couple of cases there were FCRA violations.  

I had made good faith efforts (usually well-documented) to work with the entities I was filing the complaint against before filing the complaint. 

My proposed acceptable remediations were both fair and reasonable all around.  My focus was on problem resolution, not punishment. 

No target of any of my complaints has ever taken any kind of subsequent AA against me and I still have no problem with obtaining credit. 

Moral of the story: don't waste people's times with trivial or inappropriate complaints ("I had a preapproval but was denied, I want the HP pulled") but don't be intimidated if you have a valid complaint.  If someone wants to exercise a clause allowing them to unilaterally terminate your accounts so be it, their loss. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 16
Deuter
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Deuter wrote:

I don't understand does this www.fltreasurehunt.gov is a part of what you are saying? My name recently appeared here telling me that Citibank (which is my main bank) owned me around $900. I don't know if to apply myself for that or leave it alone. 

If what you are saying is true then i leave this stuff without action as i don't want any problems in my relationship with Citibank for $900 or a much larger sum. I don't quite understand if this type of stuff is the same you're mentioning (not from USA, have to research)

Your case is entirely different - you likely have either have a dormant account or a deposit made in your name but with incorrect/invalid account information and they reported it to the state for public disclosure.   Go ahead and file with the correct state agency to get your money, there's no risk of incurring any kind of hard feelings or negative association with the bank by doing so as they themselves already consider the money to be legitimately yours.   You will just have to validate your identity to the state agency handling the program before they release the money.

Would there be any problem that i don't have a Social or TIN #?
I will take a look these days, i hope to be able to claim it with Non-US passport. What about contacting Citi and showing them this so i don't even have to do the claim in the gov page?  (as the amount is not so much)

Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Moral of the story: don't waste people's times with trivial or inappropriate complaints ("I had a preapproval but was denied, I want the HP pulled") but don't be intimidated if you have a valid complaint.  If someone wants to exercise a clause allowing them to unilaterally terminate your accounts so be it, their loss

I agree with all but the bolded bit, which tends to annoy me (probably too much!)  in this forum.   When an institution denies you, or takes AA or whatever, it really isn't their loss, unless you eventually turn out to an UHNW individual which by definition is unlikely.   It's almost certainly YOUR loss, because you wanted it in the first place.   It might be a very small, hardly at all loss, but it's not theirs!

Message 15 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Deuter wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@Deuter wrote:

Would there be any problem that i don't have a Social or TIN #?
I will take a look these days, i hope to be able to claim it with Non-US passport. What about contacting Citi and showing them this so i don't even have to do the claim in the gov page?  (as the amount is not so much)

You can try contacting Citi.  but as I understand it the funds are turned over to the agency in each state responsible for administering the program.  Worst that can probably happen is that they refer you to the state's website. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.