Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best CC for Walmart shopping?

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: best CC for Walmart shopping?

Yeah the only 2 drawbacks for this card (Walmart MC) is:

1) No 5% cashback in-store.....which has always seemed odd to me. Why give 5% online but not in-store?

2) Issued by CapOne, which of course is a triple HP

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

Yeah the only 2 drawbacks for this card (Walmart MC) is:

1) No 5% cashback in-store.....which has always seemed odd to me. Why give 5% online but not in-store?

2) Issued by CapOne, which of course is a triple HP

thanks!!

_______

I also forgot to ask: Is Capital one finicky with large charges where they will deny them frequently for fraud or will it be okay once their system is trained after a few large charges (ie ~$600). thanks!

Message 12 of 25
Trini88
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Trini88 wrote:

Before I started using the Walmart Card for 5% cash back I used the SavorOne and got 3% cash back on my grocery pickup and my grocery delivery. Then again they are both issued by Capital One.....

the card doesn't earn 5% cashback when swiped in stores? thanks!

Only in the first year I believe but that's also if you use the Walmart pay app. Actually putting that card in the machine I believe is only 2%. I'm fine with it because I only do online pick up from Walmart.

Goal Cards:
Message 13 of 25
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

My new favorite card, Affinity Cash Rewards Signature, appears to have Walmart (in store and online) as part of their 5% Hi5 categories for Q4.

Amex BCE is 3% and BCP is 6% if your Walmart codes as Groceries when you do the purchase online thru the groceries portal.

As mentioned previously, Disco has the Walmart.com option for Q4 and Paypal currently for Q3.  Setting up Paypal Key on the Walmart Pay app and having PPKey using Disco as the funding source gets 5% for Q3.

Of course, there is AOD Signature with the 3% everywhere all the time option.  This is the simplest approach and the way I usually recommend my DW to go (she hates having multiple cards for various spend cats for different quarters of the year).

Message 14 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know of the walmart credit card and some rotating categories that offer walmart as 5%. Besides these, are there any other credit cards that offer 3-5% cashback at any time? I just don't want to go for the walmart CC cuz i dunno if they'll give large credit lines or if its a subprime lender lol. thanks

I have the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard, and it pays 5% cash back for online purchases at Walmart. Period. Here's what it says on Capital One's site:

"5% back on delivery or pickup purchases made through Walmart.com or the Walmart mobile app"

As for credit limits, my limit on that card is $10,000. YMMV!

Your limit makes me very jealous! Did you get the card after the transition to Cap One or was yours a previously SYNCB card? 

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear that the bofa customized cash rewards codes Walmart pay purchases as online shopping which you can use at self checkout. Gonna try this later. If not Venmo credit card codes as grocery and my fiance uses it for her 3% category 

Message 16 of 25
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

My new favorite card, Affinity Cash Rewards Signature, appears to have Walmart (in store and online) as part of their 5% Hi5 categories for Q4.

Amex BCE is 3% and BCP is 6% if your Walmart codes as Groceries when you do the purchase online thru the groceries portal.

As mentioned previously, Disco has the Walmart.com option for Q4 and Paypal currently for Q3.  Setting up Paypal Key on the Walmart Pay app and having PPKey using Disco as the funding source gets 5% for Q3.

Of course, there is AOD Signature with the 3% everywhere all the time option.  This is the simplest approach and the way I usually recommend my DW to go (she hates having multiple cards for various spend cats for different quarters of the year).

This was my first thought as well. Affinity CR is just a unicorn. But the thing about Walmart spend on the rotators.....Discover, Chase Freedom (Flex) and Affinity all have Amazon, Walmart & Target as Q3 and Q4 categories that mostly overlap (especially Q4)....Chase seems to be alternating with Discover in this regard, including the PayPal Key category. But aside from that, it's Q1 and Q2 that Walmart spend seems to get lost and you have to find a filler for those Qtrs (that is, IF you carry multiple rotators, which some people don't....and they have to find a way to cover the entire year)

Walmarts in my area all code as Discount stores or Supermarkets. The only one that codes for grocery here is the Walmart Marketplace which is a grocery-only store. I know that varies from region to region though.

It's the age-old question.....best card for Walmart spend?  The store-branded Walmart MC offers no better in-store (@ 2%) than a Citi DC, Evergreen, Active Cash, etc.  Target offers store-branded 5% across the board. Again, this has always seemed strange to me.  If the CapOne Walmart MC was 5% across the board, it would be the one single CapOne card I would personally make an exception for to apply with a triple HP.  But it's not worth it for 2% for someone who doesn't shop them online and doesn't like other people picking out my groceries.

So unless you're bouncing 5% rotators and finding fillers for Q1/Q2....the best you can do for Walmart is 3%.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 17 of 25
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know of the walmart credit card and some rotating categories that offer walmart as 5%. Besides these, are there any other credit cards that offer 3-5% cashback at any time? I just don't want to go for the walmart CC cuz i dunno if they'll give large credit lines or if its a subprime lender lol. thanks

I have the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard, and it pays 5% cash back for online purchases at Walmart. Period. Here's what it says on Capital One's site:

"5% back on delivery or pickup purchases made through Walmart.com or the Walmart mobile app"

Your limit makes me very jealous! Did you get the card after the transition to Cap One or was yours a previously SYNCB card? 

Yes, it transitioned over to Capital One. I already had two cards there, Quicksilver (Visa and MC). The limit may sound good, but be forewarned that mine has not increased one iota since moving to Cap1--AND my other two cards have been denied CLI every time I've asked!!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 18 of 25
Trini88
Established Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

Yup that's right, tested that last week and my Amex BCP codes as grocery when I do my Walmart grocery pickup, that kinda annoyed me because I got both Walmart and Amex a month apart and I def would not have gotten the Walmart card had I known ugh. So use Walmart card at Walmart and AMEX at every other grocery store.

Goal Cards:
Message 19 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it transitioned over to Capital One. I already had two cards there, Quicksilver (Visa and MC). The limit may sound good, but be forewarned that mine has not increased one iota since moving to Cap1--AND my other two cards have been denied CLI every time I've asked!!

From everything I've read, Cap One offers little to no CLIs and very low limits on the Walmart card. DW and I have our own separate cards and the limits are $3.5k for me and $4k for DW. Mine started at $2k and got one CLI to $3.5k, and DW's started at $3k and only received one CLI too. 

We use these cards heavily and cycle the limits a few times a month, and every time we ask for an increase, we get denied. The reason is always that Cap One is evaluating current limits assigned and no CLI is available upon request Smiley Frustrated

Just about every time I see someone with a high limit, it's because the card came from SYNCB. I wish I'd got the card before the transition, but I thought Cap one would be more generous with the limits. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.