Did you mean: 

best CC for airline miles

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: best CC for airline miles

@icyhot wrote:
*****1% on payments

True. But it does not have to be paid in full for you to get your Cash back . just the amount of the bonus. So when i ran 345 dollars thru my card last month. I only made a 150 payment. But i got the full 2% cash back. which in the case was $6.89. only had the card a month. So i know i got the full amount back. So yes it is a true 2% cash back card. But the other cards are good as well. Although AF. With the bonus it makes Arrival and Venture well worth it as well. Im just soaking in all this valuble info as i will be traveling internationally in a couple months. And out of all The cards mentioned. i have a couple of them. I have the venture. the Double Cash and i will also use my Quicksilver for no FTF Which is outstanding. I am well aware that when im not in the 0% promo time period and carry a balance. The interest will eat my bonus up. But hey. Im not traveling thinking about interest. Im traveling to enjoy myself and explore the world. So if i must pay a little. So be it.

Message 31 of 44
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I wouldn't consider Fidelity Amex or the Double Cash non-restricted 2%, for one the Fidelity can only be deposited into a Fidelity account, restriction right there. Then the Double Cash isn't flat 2% on purchases, it's 1% on purchases 1%, and not everyone PIF. I would put the Venture over both 1 for the bonus and 2 it has a higher starting limit and can easily be converted to a non-AF card. If someone wants to be rewarded quickly for their travel expenses the Venture and Arrival are the way to go

The Double Cash most certainly is an unrestricted 2% card, unless you are advising that people not pay their bill to get the other 1%. In that case, missing out on that 1% would be the least of their worries. I have my own reservations about the Fidelity AmEx, but saying it's a restricted 2% card with that argument is really grasping at straws. Also, if you aren't paying in full, you are going to quickly wipe out the value of your rewards no matter what rewards card you are using. The Arrival and Venture aren't immune to this. In no uncertain terms would I ever recommend the Arrival+ or Venture over the Double Cash/Fidelity AmEx for most people.

The signup bonus for the arrival and venture alone make it worth a look. After the first year the value diminishes though unless AF gets waived. The fidelity amex does require an extra step to get it and that can be a factor for consideration as well. The venture has the possibility of SP CLI. Don't know if you can do that with the fidelity amex, also amex isn't necessarily accepted at as many places as a MC or Visa. 

Since when do people get fees on Arrival+ and Venture waived? Very rarely. Yes, if the fees are waived, it's less big of a difference but you are still stuck with only redeeming towards travel purchases.

SP CLIs happen with Citi too (Double Cash) which is a Mastercard.

I just feel like people are grasping at straws to defend Venture and Arrival. They have their (minimal) place. Venture has no FTF, and if you travel internationally a ton and want 2% back and are willing to redeem only towards travel, it can be valuable. But the majority of people who have it did not get it for that. They got it for the bonus and will close or consolidate it later, because it holds no long term value for most people. This is why I say DC or Fidelity is better. To each their own. Nobody would care about getting the fees waived if the products had a long term value.

Got my venture fee waived so I don't know what to tell you. I'm not grasping at staws or defending the cards. Simply saying they can be worth a look for a number of factors. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 32 of 44
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I wouldn't consider Fidelity Amex or the Double Cash non-restricted 2%, for one the Fidelity can only be deposited into a Fidelity account, restriction right there. Then the Double Cash isn't flat 2% on purchases, it's 1% on purchases 1%, and not everyone PIF. I would put the Venture over both 1 for the bonus and 2 it has a higher starting limit and can easily be converted to a non-AF card. If someone wants to be rewarded quickly for their travel expenses the Venture and Arrival are the way to go

The Double Cash most certainly is an unrestricted 2% card, unless you are advising that people not pay their bill to get the other 1%. In that case, missing out on that 1% would be the least of their worries. I have my own reservations about the Fidelity AmEx, but saying it's a restricted 2% card with that argument is really grasping at straws. Also, if you aren't paying in full, you are going to quickly wipe out the value of your rewards no matter what rewards card you are using. The Arrival and Venture aren't immune to this. In no uncertain terms would I ever recommend the Arrival+ or Venture over the Double Cash/Fidelity AmEx for most people.

The signup bonus for the arrival and venture alone make it worth a look. After the first year the value diminishes though unless AF gets waived. The fidelity amex does require an extra step to get it and that can be a factor for consideration as well. The venture has the possibility of SP CLI. Don't know if you can do that with the fidelity amex, also amex isn't necessarily accepted at as many places as a MC or Visa. 

I don't recommend cards based on their sign up bonuses. I also wasn't speaking for anyone else when I wrote the sentence you decided to bold. If you prefer to use sign up bonuses as a criteria, great. I prefer to recommend them based on their long term viability, merits, and my own experience with the cards.

The Venture and Arrival+ would bring someone right back to square one after the first year, wouldn't it? That is a big reason why I strongly recommend the Double Cash/Fidelity AmEx over the Venture and Arrival+. The aforementioned cards have the edge when it comes to long term viability. Some people choose to divide the value of the sign up bonus by the AF to justify keeping a card for x number of years, but I don't like that kind of logic. 

Message 33 of 44
red259
Super Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

I don't recommend cards based on their sign up bonuses. I also wasn't speaking for anyone else when I wrote the sentence you decided to bold. If you prefer to use sign up bonuses as a criteria, great. I prefer to recommend them based on their long term viability, merits, and my own experience with the cards.

The Venture and Arrival+ would bring someone right back to square one after the first year, wouldn't it? That is a big reason why I strongly recommend the Double Cash/Fidelity AmEx over the Venture and Arrival+. The aforementioned cards have the edge when it comes to long term viability. Some people choose to divide the value of the sign up bonus by the AF to justify keeping a card for x number of years, but I don't like that kind of logic. 

Its fine that you don't consider it as part of your criteria, but being the signup is worth $400 in cashback I figured it was worth mentioning, so people can make an informed decision. 

;
Message 34 of 44
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

I have a strong gut feeling that when my Venture comes up for renewal, Cap 1 will waive the annual fee.  Just a hunch.

For a family putting through 5k a month in credit card spend (which I think is a lot of money), that is $100/month in cash for vacation expenses.  So after one year you have $1200 cash for vacation.  I'm not sure I care that I can't redeem that for some other category when I know I will spend way more than $1200/year on family vacation.  Heck a couple of plane tickets could eat that up.  So unless you don't travel at all, who cares about the restriction if you would spend that amount anyway?  I mean it could be restricted to grocey stores and it would still be very usable.

What I like about the Venture is the high limits and the $400 bonus that you can earn more than once.  Add a couple of Venture One's, combine the whole thing into a 50K monster card and life is good.  Also, I have redeemed all my earnings on the Venture for a recent trip and it's so easy.  No minimums.  No games.  No thresholds.  Just an instant credit on my statement.

I can't get in with Citi, but it seems that most of the DC cards have crappy limits, even for people who have 20K plus limits on other cards.  I see folks with a 3K DC limit which seems absurdly low.

I love my Venture card.

Message 35 of 44
red259
Super Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

I have a strong gut feeling that when my Venture comes up for renewal, Cap 1 will waive the annual fee.  Just a hunch.

For a family putting through 5k a month in credit card spend (which I think is a lot of money), that is $100/month in cash for vacation expenses.  So after one year you have $1200 cash for vacation.  I'm not sure I care that I can't redeem that for some other category when I know I will spend way more than $1200/year on family vacation.  Heck a couple of plane tickets could eat that up.  So unless you don't travel at all, who cares about the restriction if you would spend that amount anyway?  I mean it could be restricted to grocey stores and it would still be very usable.

What I like about the Venture is the high limits and the $400 bonus that you can earn more than once.  Add a couple of Venture One's, combine the whole thing into a 50K monster card and life is good.  Also, I have redeemed all my earnings on the Venture for a recent trip and it's so easy.  No minimums.  No games.  No thresholds.  Just an instant credit on my statement.

I can't get in with Citi, but it seems that most of the DC cards have crappy limits, even for people who have 20K plus limits on other cards.  I see folks with a 3K DC limit which seems absurdly low.

I love my Venture card.

Yes, I noticed a lot of people reporting low limits on the DC. I wouldn't apply for the DC outright, but I might PC another citi card with a higher credit line into one. The thing about redeeming for travel with the venture card is that travel is very broad. I can use it on a subway, tolls, buses, trains or taxi at home and those count as travel expenses, so it is useful outside of vacations as well.  

;
Message 36 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The Venture bonus is only worth "400 cash back" for travel. We need to make these things clear. It's not a $400 cash bonus. It's a $400 bonus good only for travel redemptions (or gift cards).

Even with no fee (and you getting your fee waived is the first I've heard of it), there's still no advantage besides no FTF over a DC, but hey, whatever works for you. If you like it, that's what matters. I don't see the point in someone locking themselves in to travel redemptions when the same exact rewards are available with no redemption category restrictions elsewhere. However, it's not my card and I don't have to justify it. 

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The type of spend the consumer makes is also important.
Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may seem silly to some, but one of the reasons i will apply for Venture once i have a better shot is because of its travel restrictions. I will be able to bank travel cb until im ready to use it once or twice a year for vacations or travel. I want a card thats strictly for vacation.

I have been saving my true cashback from Qs and Discover but i will probably use the cash for other things.

I realize this may not be what most people would do, but i like the idea of having to use it for travel. I can watch it grow and dream of how im going to spend it on travel. 😂.

For some reason, i never end up saving my cashback from the other cards for travel. I usually end up using it for more pressing things, or on times when money's tighter.

Then again, this may be because of my bad habits and lower scores not qualifying me for better cards. I can totally see if you have a chance at a better cb card, doing the same thing and making it your travel card. I do have a Fidelity account so maybe in the future when credit is better, ill reconsider my idea.
Message 39 of 44
steel_string
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you do a lot of short haul flight 650mi or less BA Avios is a great program to get into plus no penalty for booking close in.

It seems like PRG + EDP might be an option for the OP. Grab the signup bonuses, book all those flights on PRG, grab credits for incidentals, and do daily spend on the EDP. Then transfer to Avios and book AA flights.

Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.