namvet
Established Contributor

Re: best company to get a high cl card

IMO give USAA a shot!

Message 11 of 34
longclimbback
Regular Contributor

I live in ny. What reporting agency do usaa and penfed use for applications?
Message 12 of 34
boomhower
Valued Contributor

If eligible, NFCU and USAA.  If not PenFed and/or DCU.

Also call the GE underwriters on your Lowes card, $5k should be no sweat. 

Message 13 of 34
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@longclimbback wrote:
I live in ny. What reporting agency do usaa and penfed use for applications?

Equifax

Message 14 of 34
mic003
Established Member

First you should call the back door number for lowes and ask for an increase on that, its backed by GE and they are usually good with increases, shoot for the sky when they ask how much you want it increased to, they usually counter if request was to high. Then i would call BOA and ask for increase, shoot high too because they will counter also. BOA pulls transunion for increases even though they pull experian for initial app, and BOA is always a hard pull. If you have good outcomes with those increases then you should wait for them to report the new limits to the bureaus then app for Chase sapphire preferred and take advantage of their killer sign up bonus and then maybe you should try amex. I have both BOA and Lowes card and advice is based on my current experience with them. I got approved this Feb with Lowes with initial cl of 3000, i called back door number right away and had that increased to 6000. Then i had my secured BOA card gratuated to unsecured cash rewards but they only increased from 800 to 1000 (hard pull) then i called BOA a week later again and asked them to recon credit limit to 5000, they countered back at 3000 and i happily accepted. Another hard pull for that one but worth it to me. I waited for limits to report then 2 days ago i apped for Chase Sapphire Preferred (which i thought was way out of reach for me) and i was approved right away $5000 starting limit. Lowes is the only other card i had above 5000 and only 1 month old account so you should be good for higher starting limit. By the way chased pulled both experian and equifax and my scores were 725 equifax fico and 748 experian lender pulled fico had 9 inquiries on both bureaus from car loan shopping mostly. And just for a thought i also applied for amex BCE same day i appep for CSP and app was declined. Good luck and keep us updated!!
Message 15 of 34
mic003
Established Member

Sorry for long post trying to give you my best adviced :-)
Message 16 of 34
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

YMMV. I personally owe it to PenFed for my high credit limits.

Message 17 of 34
longclimbback
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice. My accouts post at the beginning of april. I'll make sure my accounts are near zero then do the cli on lowes and boa cards. Looking through my old credit reports, I burned sears, amex, chase, and citi with settled accounts. I don't know how long they keep records for (its been 8 years) but I think i should avoid those companies. Any thoughts? The credit unions all sound great after looking at their websites. I might have a way in at nfcu, but if not the dcu and penfed sound good. Do these credit unions do hard pulls to join? I thought about joining the dcu while I find out about nfcu. Thanks for the help.
Message 18 of 34
mic003
Established Member

Then yep i would avoid the burned ones too. The credit unions sound great though and dont forget Discover It. They usually low ball starting limits however some other members here have had great success with then, and Discover rewards are awesome. YMMV.
Message 19 of 34
longclimbback
Regular Contributor

Isn't discover a sears card?
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.