Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better credit cards for travel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

better credit cards for travel?

I travel 9 months out of the year. I’ve been using sapphire preferred card for travel and dining, 2 points per dollar. And BOA travel rewards card for all other purchases 1.5 points per dollar. 

Are there any better options out there? I just want to be earning more than 2 points per dollar and preferably no annual fee . 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: better credit cards for travel?

I have the NFCU Flagship which is 3 points per dollar for travel. I’m sure there are better credit cards for travel out there I’m just not a big travel card person.

For everything else to get 2% or 2 points per dollar there’s cards like the Paypal Mastercard, Fidelity Rewards VISA, Alliant CU (think it’s called Platinum Rewards) and PenFed PowerCash.
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

150AF + lounge access

• sapphire reserve for travel + dining (3x UR, 4.5% for travel redemption)
  • freedom unlimited for everything else (1.5x UR, 2.25% for travel redemption)

or no AF, no lounge

• Propel+wf visa signature for travel + dining + gas (3x GF, 4.5% for flight redemption through portal)
    (note: wf requires two app separated by 5 or 6 months, if you want both together, you can app propel for you, and visa sig for your family, then pool points together)
  • dc for everything else (2% CB)
Message 3 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Is most of your travel domestic or international?

What airline(s) do you currently hold status with and/or is your preferred one?

What is your preferred hotel chain?

Do you mostly use a corporate card, or do you use a personal card and get reimbursed?

What is the typical duration of a given trip?

edited to add:  do you normally rent a car or use Uber/Lyft/taxi services?

I'm slow today.  Edited again to ask if you can book your own travel independently or must you use a corporate-sanctioned system like Concur+American Express Travel.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry forgot to mention, most of my travel is internation...

sorry forgot to mention, most of my travel is international, so cards with no foreign transaction fee. i don't stay in hotels, usually airbnb. 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Savor One doesn't have much in the way of perqs, but it pays 3% on travel, dining and entertainment with no annual or foreign transaction fees

My personal strategy is to have one premium card for lounge access and other travel niceties (Amex Platinum for me), and round it out with No-annual-fee cashback cards as needed.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: sorry forgot to mention, most of my travel is internation...

if its international, go with CSR+CFU (150AF).

propel is Amex, there is a chance the card won't be accepted as widely as csr.

Message 7 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: sorry forgot to mention, most of my travel is internation...

@Anonymous wrote:

sorry forgot to mention, most of my travel is international, so cards with no foreign transaction fee. i don't stay in hotels, usually airbnb. 

Uber Visa. No AF, No FTF, 4% on restaurants, 3% on airfare, hotels, and short-stay rentals like Airbnb. 

I would doublecheck that international short-stay rentals also trigger the 3% CB.

There may be certain expenses where you'd be better served using the CSP, for example car rentals due to its primary insurance coverage.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap1 Savor One doesn't have much in the way of perqs, but it pays 3% on travel, dining and entertainment with no annual or foreign transaction fees

My personal strategy is to have one premium card for lounge access and other travel niceties (Amex Platinum for me), and round it out with No-annual-fee cashback cards as needed.

SavorOne doesn’t code 3% for travel, just entertainment and dining. 

Message 9 of 20
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

When looking at rewards, check out the fine print. Lots of cards only earn the advertised rewards at US based hotels, restaurants...

I have the Boa travel Rewards now. Love the no fx and af. Slightly annoying having to deal with customer service when they flag your card for fraud occasionally. If you find another card that's ideal let us know. Good to have a backup or two.

No Disco cards plz. Finding a place that accepts them is a joke...

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.