Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**bleep** Cap 1?

tag
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

**bleep** Cap 1?

I don't if this has happened to anyone else, but it's total BS on the part of Cap 1.

Because I haven't had a statement issued yet, I'm unable to pay my account online.  So I've called in twice so far to make payments.  The second time was yesterday.  The first payment already posted the other day.  I logged in today to make sure my 2nd payment posted and I saw that my account was  locked.  I called in to see what the problem was.  I was immediately transferred to the fraud department.  The rep said that they needed to verify my identity - asked if I had relatives in other states, what their name was, where my SS card was issued, my previous address.  Then she said that they needed to verify that the checking account  that I made my payment from was mine and that the actual payment posted to my checking account.  

I can appreciate the first part especially since my card was activated 6 days ago and was already maxed.  But they called my bank with me on the line (they said I had to stay on the line to verify my checking acct info).  What a hassle that was.  I felt like I was being scammed or something.  I had to verify and give out my checking out info with the CAP 1 rep on the line.  Not that they don't already most of that information, but still I felt really uncomfortable. And seriously, don't they have a more professional way of verifying accounts. They've already received the payment.   My personal information is the same on both accounts. 

I almost feel like closing my acct now.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Re: **bleep** Cap 1?

Sorry for the bleep.  I didn't know you couldn't WT- on here.

Message 2 of 25
p-
Valued Contributor

@snowangel wrote:

I don't if this has happened to anyone else, but it's total BS on the part of Cap 1.

Because I haven't had a statement issued yet, I'm unable to pay my account online.  So I've called in twice so far to make payments.  The second time was yesterday.  The first payment already posted the other day.  I logged in today to make sure my 2nd payment posted and I saw that my account was  locked.  I called in to see what the problem was.  I was immediately transferred to the fraud department.  The rep said that they needed to verify my identity - asked if I had relatives in other states, what their name was, where my SS card was issued, my previous address.  Then she said that they needed to verify that the checking account  that I made my payment from was mine and that the actual payment posted to my checking account.  

I can appreciate the first part especially since my card was activated 6 days ago and was already maxed.  But they called my bank with me on the line (they said I had to stay on the line to verify my checking acct info).  What a hassle that was.  I felt like I was being scammed or something.  I had to verify and give out my checking out info with the CAP 1 rep on the line.  Not that they don't already most of that information, but still I felt really uncomfortable. And seriously, don't they have a more professional way of verifying accounts. They've already received the payment.   My personal information is the same on both accounts. 

I almost feel like closing my acct now.

@Anonymous @ w t bleep.  What I thought it bleeped was way worse, lol.

Nothing worse than too low a CL - makes it hard to maximize rewards and use the card.

That's wierd you're having a problem paying;  I signed up to the online service as soon as I got my card in July so I could track the spending.  Then, I set up online bill pay with Wells Fargo, and called Cap1 customer service to confirm the payment address.  I nearly maxed and PIF'd the 3k card a week before my first statement cut, with no problem.  The time between payments leaving my WF billpay and posting to my account is really short too...  

Maybe it's your payment method.  I avoid interacting with customer-no-service and do as much online or by mail as I can for that very reason.  (except for CLI requests)

Good luck!

Message 3 of 25
John060675
Valued Contributor

I think the "calling the bank" thing is becoming commonplace, since I had AMEX do it to me on a new account.  I actually do not have a problem with it, as long as it is a one time thing.  Now in 6 months if they require the same thing, then I will have issues.

Concerning the payments online to Cap 1, you will have to wait until your 1st statement cuts for them to accept online payments.

I know it seems like a hassle, but I am sure that all of the bad stuff is in the past.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 25
GregB
Valued Contributor

I haven't seen any CC that will allow you to pay before your first statement is generated. Several won't allow you to pay online under other circumstances like scheduling a second payment after the due date when you also have a scheduled payment before the due date.

I think in your case your behavior was unusual enough that they suspected fraud. I can't blame them. Doing bizarre things with a new CC is virtually guaranteed to cause trouble.

Message 5 of 25
p-
Valued Contributor

@GregB wrote:

I haven't seen any CC that will allow you to pay before your first statement is generated. Several won't allow you to pay online under other circumstances like scheduling a second payment after the due date when you also have a scheduled payment before the due date.

I think in your case your behavior was unusual enough that they suspected fraud. I can't blame them. Doing bizarre things with a new CC is virtually guaranteed to cause trouble.

Mailing them a billpay check didn't seem to raise any red flags.  I first used my cap1 card on 7-6, made a payment on WF billpay on 7-8, which posted on 7-11.  My first statement was on 7-23.  

I used and paid off 90% of the 3k credit line in the space of a couple of weeks.  My first statement included 4 payments, and a cash back award statement credit, all posted before the first cutoff.

I think it was the phone thing that got you.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with p-.  It's not at all BS.  You maxed the card out AND tried to make 2 payments all within 6 days of getting the account.  Look at it from the side of Cap1 (the party that has to eat the fraud losses)...a person who stole someone else's identity would do things in a very fast manner just like you did in order to maximize their take before the victim had time to notice.  If you read these boards you'll learn that the best way to pay a new account is to push payments from your bank's online bill pay system to the credit card.  That way there's less of a chance it's fraud, or else you wouldn't be able to log into the account to send the payment.

Message 7 of 25
john398
Senior Contributor

@GregB wrote:

Chase let me pay before the statement generated after trasanction posted, of course it was from Chase checking to Chase credit card

Message 8 of 25
brian2220
Regular Contributor

@John060675 wrote:

I think the "calling the bank" thing is becoming commonplace, since I had AMEX do it to me on a new account.  I actually do not have a problem with it, as long as it is a one time thing.  Now in 6 months if they require the same thing, then I will have issues.

Concerning the payments online to Cap 1, you will have to wait until your 1st statement cuts for them to accept online payments.

I know it seems like a hassle, but I am sure that all of the bad stuff is in the past.

well i can name some also that let me pay before my first statement cut

us bank 

chase

citi

amex

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 9 of 25
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

I can appreciate the fact that they want to take accountability and make sure that they are taking real payments.  But also let's be real.  Is my behavior really suspicious?  They gave me a card with cash back rewards.  I switched from using my citi bank card for everything (with thank you points)  to using a card that's giving me cash back instead.  From my perspective, my behavior  is not unnormal.  I pay for everything with my card.  It's faster and easier.  So of course I'm going to use my new card for for eveyrthing.  They gave me a CL of only $500.  It's not difficullt to reach this in a few days.  In order to continue to use the card, I have no choice but to make frequent payments.  I didn't have any large purchases or out of state/country transactions.  Just regular everyday purchases.  If actually using the card is going to cause an alarm then why not just why not verify payment methods in advance or when I made my first payment.

I don't even care so much that they suspended my card.  It's that after I called in,  they made me wait on hold while they called my bank,  got transferred to 3 different departments because the rep wasn't clear about what department she was trying to contact (i really think she called they 800 number off the citi website), then put me on the line to verify my bank account info with the the bank and made me  verify that the payment they already accepted and posted to my account was actually valid and processed on the bank's end.  It was the most absurd thing I've ever dealt with when handling a matter with a financial institution.  Seriously the entire time I was on the phone I felt like i was being scammed by someone. 

So after all was said and done,  I asked the rep if I would have to go through this again if I decide to pay with a different checking account at some point and she replied "Maybe?".

I just have a bad feeling about them now.  

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.