Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**bleep** Cap 1?

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: **bleep** Cap 1?

They must of had real con artist pay with  a fake acount or this would not be an issue,  I am sure they are just being careful but after a couple of months of valid payments I am sure you will have no issues

Message 11 of 25
cahiatt
Contributor

I have trouble paying them every month....

My wife and I both have Cap1 cards. I rarely use mine but she uses hers for groceries and gas (2% back). I pay in full both cards every month and withouth hesitation they ALWAYS hold the payment on her card for 10 days. This is an ACH transaction. Interestingly, when I make payments on my card it never gets held. Same billing addresses, same account for payments, etc...

Going on four months now and they still hold them.

Seriously Cap1. **bleep**!!!!

Starting Score: 594 (Dec 10, 2010)
Score: 758 (March, 2013
Goal Score: 730 on all (by end of 2012)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

DW and I had it for 3 years and never had a problem. I pay through their web site where I have memorized the coordinates of my checking account.

Message 13 of 25
JonStur
Established Contributor

I think you're taking this too personally, when they are conducting business in a manner which protects both of your interests. New scams are created daily and it's impossible to keep track of them. So when ANY behavior causes their computers to raise the red flag, it is their responsibility to investigate it to the fullest. A similar situation occurred back when I first got my AMEX. I verified everything and it was business as usual.. Yea it was a little annoying but my feelings weren't hurt..don't become emotionally attached to CC's...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 14 of 25
p-
Valued Contributor

@cahiatt wrote:

I have trouble paying them every month....

My wife and I both have Cap1 cards. I rarely use mine but she uses hers for groceries and gas (2% back). I pay in full both cards every month and without hesitation they ALWAYS hold the payment on her card for 10 days. This is an ACH transaction. Interestingly, when I make payments on my card it never gets held. Same billing addresses, same account for payments, etc...

Going on four months now and they still hold them.

Seriously Cap1. **bleep**!!!!

Sounds like the ACH is the problem.  Lets say for instance I steal a purse; I get a credit card, and a checkbook....  I could max the card, use the Checkbook for an ACH payment, and repeat as many times as the CC company would let me...  If I moved fast enough I would end up leaving someone with an overdrawn bank account and an over-limit card.

I bet that's happened more than once...  And if it was your bank account that was emptied, you'd be screaming about why they let it happen.  You would, of course, expect to be reimbursed, so they would be out the money.  It's as simple as a rat in a maze; they find ways to avoid situations that get them the electric shock.

My Amex got frozen for unusual transaction activity when I had only three transactions on it; big PITA, so I feel your pain.  But if you want to blame someone, blame the tweakers.  The meth heads and thieves that make all this BS necessary are the ones you should be pissed at.  If it makes you feel better, get a bat and go stomp the next meth addict you see walking down the road. 

Like RBH said, it's a pain, but at least there's a workaround.  Three business days to post an online billpay from your bank is pretty reasonable.

Message 15 of 25
chan85
Established Contributor

I can appreciate the fact that they want to take accountability and make sure that they are taking real payments.  But also let's be real.  Is my behavior really suspicious? Yes it is. I am a fraud analyst at BoA and this is referred to as a bust out. You open a new card, max it out, make a payment (which can take up to 7 days to come back as bounced) and then before the payment has been returned, max it out again esentially defrauding them out of 2 or 3 times your credit limit. If you were fraudster, this sounds like a good plan huh? You have to admit it.... They gave me a card with cash back rewards.  I switched from using my citi bank card for everything (with thank you points)  to using a card that's giving me cash back instead.  From my perspective, my behavior  is not unnormal.  From your persepective yes, but they don't know about what you did with citi bank. Even if you explain you use it for everything, it still looks suspicious and can be unnormal- which indicates fraud to them. They have to get used to your spending pattern, and less than 1 month of histroy isn't showing them enough yet. But they will recognize it as your account ages. I pay for everything with my card.  It's faster and easier.  So of course I'm going to use my new card for for eveyrthing.  They gave me a CL of only $500.  It's not difficullt to reach this in a few days.  In order to continue to use the card, I have no choice but to make frequent payments.  I didn't have any large purchases or out of state/country transactions.  Just regular everyday purchases.  If actually using the card is going to cause an alarm then why not just why not verify payment methods in advance or when I made my first payment. In this case I think if they did that, you still would have been mad, but that's just my opionion. At that point many customers likely would have have been upset because they didn't feel like they had posed any risk in order to garner a verification since they haven't returned a payment or had any issues yet.....but I understand where you are coming from...

I don't even care so much that they suspended my card.  It's that after I called in,  they made me wait on hold while they called my bank,  got transferred to 3 different departments because the rep wasn't clear about what department she was trying to contact (i really think she called they 800 number off the citi website), then put me on the line to verify my bank account info with the the bank and made me  verify that the payment they already accepted and posted to my account was actually valid and processed on the bank's end.  This is standard, your bank cant release info to a third party without your consent so you have to be on the line. I have had to call Citi to verify info for balance transfers from credit card accounts and they give me a hard time, they need the exp date on the card and all this info that we don't have, so I can only imagine what they do for a checking account which is actually YOUR money. Additionally, the numbers for payment verification or identity verification are typically not posted anywhere, so she probably did have to call the number on the website and get transffered becasue Citi didn't get what she was calling for.  It was the most absurd thing I've ever dealt with when handling a matter with a financial institution.  Seriously the entire time I was on the phone I felt like i was being scammed by someone. 

So after all was said and done,  I asked the rep if I would have to go through this again if I decide to pay with a different checking account at some point and she replied "Maybe?". I have had them do this to me. At the end of the day, I have to remember that my credit card is essentially a LOAN that I access through a plastic card. They are in the business to make money and I have to respect that. and the precautions they have to take to make sure they run a profitable business. If you have ever had fraud on any of your accounts, you tend to me a little more understanding. If there was someone using your checking account to make payments on their credit accounts and their bank discovered it because they went through that process, you would be appreciative.  

I just have a bad feeling about them now.  Honestly after doing the same thing you did during my first month of the card, I haven't had anymore problems. And typically if you call they are atleast willing to take the extra steps to resolve it. I had the same thing happen on my Orchard card and only after I LOST it on several reps did they get me a manager who called my bank to clear it up. Just wait it out and shake it off Smiley Happy

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 16 of 25
daylove
Regular Contributor

@snowangel wrote:

I can appreciate the fact that they want to take accountability and make sure that they are taking real payments.  But also let's be real.  Is my behavior really suspicious?  They gave me a card with cash back rewards.  I switched from using my citi bank card for everything (with thank you points)  to using a card that's giving me cash back instead.  From my perspective, my behavior  is not unnormal.  I pay for everything with my card.  It's faster and easier.  So of course I'm going to use my new card for for eveyrthing.  They gave me a CL of only $500.  It's not difficullt to reach this in a few days.  In order to continue to use the card, I have no choice but to make frequent payments.  I didn't have any large purchases or out of state/country transactions.  Just regular everyday purchases.  If actually using the card is going to cause an alarm then why not just why not verify payment methods in advance or when I made my first payment.

I don't even care so much that they suspended my card.  It's that after I called in,  they made me wait on hold while they called my bank,  got transferred to 3 different departments because the rep wasn't clear about what department she was trying to contact (i really think she called they 800 number off the citi website), then put me on the line to verify my bank account info with the the bank and made me  verify that the payment they already accepted and posted to my account was actually valid and processed on the bank's end.  It was the most absurd thing I've ever dealt with when handling a matter with a financial institution.  Seriously the entire time I was on the phone I felt like i was being scammed by someone. 

So after all was said and done,  I asked the rep if I would have to go through this again if I decide to pay with a different checking account at some point and she replied "Maybe?".

I just have a bad feeling about them now.  

Not all cardholders feel/act that way..as far as I know most people use their credit cards sparingly regardless of rewards. I pay 70% of my purchases in cash despite having a card that gives MR points.

Message 17 of 25
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks fr the feedback.  I guess if they would have taken the time to explain what the problem was, I would have felt more comfortable about it.  Having been a victim of fraud ( a really long time ago), I can understand that they want to protect themselves and other consumers but at the same time.  Oh how I wish, that the girl who gave out my ssn and personal information to her friends and used it to get utilities in 2 states was forced to show some form of identification.  

However at the same time,  I am really sensitive to giving out my information.  The rep that I dealt with didn't seem to have confidence in what she was doing, which really set of internal alarms for me.  I didn't like feeling vulnerable.  I almost hung up and was going to request that they send me everyting in writing.  Guess I'm just as paranoid as them.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 18 of 25
p-
Valued Contributor

@chan85 wrote:

... I am a fraud analyst at BoA... 

Thanks for the inside look.  That's one of the things I like about this board; lots of people with industry ties takes the discussion from guessing to real answers.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same thing happen a couple of months after I had my account open. I had two cards with them, an unsecured and a secured one, opened basically back to back. No problems for about 3 months. Then my wife went on a trip to Europe and she's an AU on my unsecured card, so I made sure not to use it so the credit limit would be all available. Instead, I decided to use the secured card for my purchases. All of a sudden they locked it with no prior warning. I call to ask what the issue is, and was told that I had to call back the next morning to talk to someone since nobody was available. So I called them the next morning and they made me go through the exact same process, be on the like with US Bank while confirming details. The person at US Bank's end sounded really confused about the whole process too, since it sure sounds like a scam. But I guess that's what Cap One does.

The card's a 3k card, and I'd paid a $1k payment on it a few days earlier, so I figured that was the issue. Surprise, no, it was a random $100 payment I made a few days after that. I really don't know how they pick when to initiate the process. But it's only happened once, only on that account (not with the other CC I have from them) so whatever.

I'll admit that I was pretty baffled at the whole thing when they first brought it up, sounded like the Prince of Nigeria had infiltrated Cap 1.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.