Did you mean: 

blue cash preffered amex card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: blue cash preffered amex card

@stan_the_man wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, I never thought of the gift cards angle! Interesting twist. (Do you get rewards on gift cards? I can't remember.)

Wish I could compress some ideas. Smiley Tongue Cheers!

While I don't think Amex gives rewards on gift cards (per se), I don't think the merchant transmits information as to how much of your purchase is of gift cards. So, while I believe it's against Amex's policies, I think it's unenforceable.

Tough Cadbury eggs. What AMEX/Chase don't see won't break their heart.

Message 31 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone else think the Blue Cash card is cheaply made? When I received mine the little blue contorted mirror has a black speck on it and tried to remove it, only to find out it's actually peeling/scratching off the mirror. Also the number stamps: one third is clear, one third has silver ink on it, and the other third is clear. Also the glue on the back of the card that attached it to the envelope never came off, not even with iso alcohol.

My debit and CC cards from Chase are made way better

You'd think with the fees they charge they could at least put some effort into the plastic 

Message 32 of 46
rocketsfan85
Established Member

I have a question about the annual fee for the Blue Cash card.  Did you guys get charged the annual fee of 75 dollars all at once?  I got charged 37.50  two months ago and it said annual fee but they haven't charged the rest of the annual fee yet.  Is this normal?

Message 33 of 46
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone else think the Blue Cash card is cheaply made? When I received mine the little blue contorted mirror has a black speck on it and tried to remove it, only to find out it's actually peeling/scratching off the mirror. Also the number stamps: one third is clear, one third has silver ink on it, and the other third is clear. Also the glue on the back of the card that attached it to the envelope never came off, not even with iso alcohol.

You'd think with the fees they charge they could at least put some effort into the plastic 

I'd careless about the quality of the card. It's the benefit that counts.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 34 of 46
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@tengtengvn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My primary CC usually wears out from use every 6-12 months. Amex is very quick to replace worn out or damaged cards.

If OP thinks his card is worn out or "damaged" he/she might want to contact Amex regarding a replacement.

My issue with the Blue cards is that the semi-transparent signature strip on the back doesn't hold a signature. After about a month of use, the signature fades until it is barely legible -- then merchants start telling me that my card is not signed and I point out that if you look real close you can see that it is.

Message 35 of 46
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@stan_the_man wrote:

@tengtengvn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My primary CC usually wears out from use every 6-12 months. Amex is very quick to replace worn out or damaged cards.

If OP thinks his card is worn out or "damaged" he/she might want to contact Amex regarding a replacement.

My issue with the Blue cards is that the semi-transparent signature strip on the back doesn't hold a signature. After about a month of use, the signature fades until it is barely legible -- then merchants start telling me that my card is not signed and I point out that if you look real close you can see that it is.

I have to use an ultra-fine point Sharpie on mine. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 36 of 46
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@stan_the_man wrote:

@tengtengvn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unlike my VISA/MC/Discover cards, I see no where on my AMEX Blue card that says "authorized signature - not valid unless signed".  Why do you need to put your signature there if it's not required? I'm guessing the strip was not designed to hold the ink. It's there to display the card number.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 37 of 46
dp321
Regular Contributor

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 38 of 46
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, dp321!

Are you having trouble posting?Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 46
dp321
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

anyone have one of these cards (blue cash preffered card) ? rewards seem good, didnt know how hard it is to get? has a $75 annual fee tho

Do you have a family? Like OP say, this card will be ideal for a family or if you spend more than $300 per month on grocery.

Lets say you spend $300 per month on grocery.....

$300 x 12 months = $3600 annually.

6% cashback at grocery stores

$3600 x 6% = $216 cash back annually

That figure will justify the $75 AF. If you are a family of 4, your grocery bill each month would avg. around $500 x 12 months = $6000. You'll save $360 than.

Bottom line, you just have to figure out what rewards works best for you base on your spending.

I am not really disagreeing that $300/month of groceries is where this card might be useful. But I would suggest that those thinking about how to justify a $75 AF be less loose with the figures and use a realistic alternative in the comparison. A good choice might be the Everyday version of this card at 3% on supermarkets w/o AF. The question could then be what average spending on groceries per month at the 3% extra payback gives back enough cash to justify the $75 AF. The break-even is 75/(6%-3%)/12, or $208.33/month. Then it is time to be loose when factoring in the uncertainty (like one quarter of Chase Freedom at 5%, using that for GCs, etc.). If you did count on the full $1,500 cap on the Freedom bonus annually, the break-even shifts to $333.33/month.

I wonder how you com up with these figures? I came up with somewhere from $208 - $250 with the following assumptions:

1. Having Chase Freedem that offers 5% CB one quarter out of the year - you would still use your Preferred during those months, just your advantage is not as big - 1%

2. Considering the Everyday version as the direct alternative, 3% advantage. 

3. Negating any advantage from gas and department stores (1% vs the Everyday), i.e. considering groceries only.

4. Negating gain from GCs, because of the potential loss in purchase protection and extended warranties.

Math

1. Weighted advantage:

The advantage is 3% for three quarters and 1% for the one quarter when 5% is available 

(3%X9+1%X3)/12 = 2.5% - this is average advantage year around of using the Preferred version versus the Everyday

2. Break even point:

$75/2.5% = $3000 annually or $250 monthly. 

If another rotating 5% card is not available, the math is much simpler. 

Simply considering 3% advantage over the Everyday version, one needs to spend $75/3% = $2500 annually or $208.33 monthly to justify going from a Everyday to Preferred version of the card. 

Conclusion: if you are feeding anywhere north of 2 people, I think you should aim for the Preferred version. I budgeted myself $200 for grocery and I am fairly liberal with grocery. By the way, money spent at Walmart, or Target does not count towards the 6%, just something to keep in mind.

As to OP's question, i got approved for the Everyday version with one inquiry and 7% util on one of two card. In my opinion, this is an easy card to get this time around.  

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.