Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bofa card graduation still has fee

tag
ccnewb23
Contributor

bofa card graduation still has fee

I recently had my secured card from bofa graudated into an unsecured card.

The secured card had a $39 annual fee but I thought that once the card graduated, the fee would go away.

I got hit with the annual fee since its been a year since the account opened.

Anyone experience this and know a work around to get rid of the fee?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

AmEx Green NPSL | Barclays Rewards MC $4,200 | BofA 1-2-3 Visa $1,500 | Phillips Conoco 76 Gas Card $600 | AmEx BCE $25k | Discover IT $1,000
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Re: bofa card graduation still has fee

Call BofA and ask them to remove the fee.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 2 of 13
dude11
Regular Contributor

If they don't remove the fee you may have to do a product change to another card with no annual fee.

Message 3 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tylaw13 wrote:

Call BofA and ask them to remove the fee.

I agree, call and see what they can do. Explain you've been good enough to get the card unsecured and there are plenty of other fish in the sea for you, are you gonna let someone else reel me in?? (Yes, my line was weak) Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 13
jeskedu
Valued Member

Mine un secured recently too. I did a product change to the cash rewards card they informed me unless I opened up a new card that the af will still be there
Message 5 of 13
tray
Valued Contributor

In 2007 I started out with a secured card with boa then it became unsecured 9 months later and all I can say I am still paying a $29.00 dollar annual fee, I have product changed into a different card and still paying the annual fee,  per boa I would have to do a new cold app for a new card with a no annual fee attached, if this was not my 1st card in my credit rebuilding phase and my only longest age of a card I would definitely let it go. even with perfect credit hx it is tough to shake boa down with eliminating the annual fee, I hope you have success in doing this or if anyone else knows of any manuevers please pass the information on.....

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 13
ccnewb23
Contributor

So I called bofa today to see about the annual fee. Basically they said that the card will still have an annual fee unless it goes through product change. The weird thing is is that i product changed it as soon as I graduated the card to a 1-2-3 cash rewards card. They stated that they would now do a "courtesy waive" on the annual fee going forward but the annual fee I already paid was unrefundable. I think they're just robbing of $39 but I just let it go. Thought it was pretty cheap and dirty to be honest to make the annual fee "non refundable" with no real explanation why. I'll most likely close this account now. Good job bofa! Cheapasses.

*edit* By "close" i mean sock drawer.

AmEx Green NPSL | Barclays Rewards MC $4,200 | BofA 1-2-3 Visa $1,500 | Phillips Conoco 76 Gas Card $600 | AmEx BCE $25k | Discover IT $1,000
Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ccnewb23 wrote:

So I called bofa today to see about the annual fee. Basically they said that the card will still have an annual fee unless it goes through product change. The weird thing is is that i product changed it as soon as I graduated the card to a 1-2-3 cash rewards card. They stated that they would now do a "courtesy waive" on the annual fee going forward but the annual fee I already paid was unrefundable. I think they're just robbing of $39 but I just let it go. Thought it was pretty cheap and dirty to be honest to make the annual fee "non refundable" with no real explanation why. I'll most likely close this account now. Good job bofa! Cheapasses.

*edit* By "close" i mean sock drawer.

I don't think that graduation is the same as product change honestly, not in BOFA's world when it comes to adding 1-2-3 rewards to a card, especially these days where they'll tack that right onto a secured card.

I don't quite understand the vitriol in this case, BOFA helped folks with a secured card when they needed it (gee this sounds like a Cap One thread heh), and a $39 AF isn't exactly obscene if your spend through the card justifies it.  Sure, if you can qualify for an Amex BCE and similar gas rewards, then the point is moot as the card is irrelevant and promoted to sock drawer or garbage disposal; however, in my case I'll simply live with the AF happily until I can PC it to something vis a vis the Travel Rewards Preferred card as it appears to be a forgone conclusion I'm going to have to get on an airplane sometime in the next few years for work.

        
Message 8 of 13
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I was curious about what happens to the fee as well. I am still a ways from getting mine unsecured but since I opened this cc account with them in August it will show as my oldest account so I don't think a pc will help me.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 9 of 13
YahComb
Established Contributor

For whatever reason with BOA, the AF is stuck to the initial agreement on the secured card. Even when it graduates and you PC to what would be a no-fee card if you had applied directly, the fee is stuck, but they will issue waivers/credits. But youll have to call them up every 12 months and likely have to ask for a supervisor because the regular CSR doesn't have the authority to do it.

One thing i wonder is if you PC to a higher fee card, then after a year PC to a no-fee card. Would they put you back to 39 again or down to zero. I'd try it out, but the only card that might be worth it to me is the privileges 1-2-3 card, which requires a BOA/Merill lynch account for the 50% bonus (so its a 1.5-3-4.5 effectively). but BOA will HP to open a new checking and im not looking to add any extra inqs for a while.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.