Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can only apply for a secured hsbc product

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

can only apply for a secured hsbc product

i have really good credit, but i am only allowed to apply for their secured card. anyone have this issue?

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ncks
Valued Member

Re: can only apply for a secured hsbc product

You have to be a banking customer to get a HSBC credit card.  I opened an online savings account.  I have the HSBC Platinum Mastercard with HSBC Plus Rewards.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ncks wrote:

You have to be a banking customer to get a HSBC credit card.  I opened an online savings account.  I have the HSBC Platinum Mastercard with HSBC Plus Rewards.

Not really.

I have two HSBC cards and have never been an HSBC banking customer.

Message 3 of 24
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Yes really. Unless you are a banking customer, their website only offers secured cards at this time. In the past it was different, but generally people looking to apply are interested in the present or future -- not what was an option in the past.
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bostonte wrote:
Yes really. Unless you are a banking customer, their website only offers secured cards at this time. In the past it was different, but generally people looking to apply are interested in the present or future -- not what was an option in the past.

Still untrue.

You stated that "you have to be a banking customer to get a HSBC credit card" and that is false.  While it may appear you need to be a banking customer to apply online, you do not have to be a banking customer to apply either at a branch, over the phone or via one of the paper applications you find. 

Even online you do not have to be a banking customer:

https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/hsbccreditcard

I just tried it and was pre-approved for their Platinum Cash Rewards. 

Message 5 of 24
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

How long ago did you try that link? It's well confirmed as dead and only offering secured for some time now. If you get anything other than secured, consider yourself very special.
Message 6 of 24
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

For fun I just tried it and got only a secured offer.  *shrug*  but my scores arent superior and my PR still hasnt been deleted by the CRAs (waiting on it since it was vacated)

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 7 of 24
203bravo
Established Contributor

Notice:
By completing the Pre-qualification Form and clicking on the Continue button, you are giving HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. written authorization to access your credit profile for Pre-qualification purposes and no other

Do they do a hard INQ during the pre-qual?

Message 8 of 24
john398
Senior Contributor

I have a HSBC Discxover card and I do not have a HSBC bank account, it was a counter offer from discover but  I am not sure how to directly apply

Message 9 of 24
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

can some with a 720+ plus score please go on the website and confirm that this is happening to them as well.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.