Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canceling a card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

canceling a card

I'm about to cancel a cap one card.  It's due on the 8th and I will be paying off in full on the 7th.  Can I cancel the card before I pay it off?  They charge a monthly fee on the 8th so I want to avoid that.
marybeth
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Re: canceling a card

there is n0 maintance fee if you close with a balance
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read my post today about cancelling credit cards, you might change your mind and try another tactic.  Keep the card open, only charge a candy bar and a pop once a month, then pif when the bill comes.

Message 3 of 4
ariesdreamer
Regular Contributor

myhearts07 wrote:
Read my post today about cancelling credit cards, you might change your mind and try another tactic.  Keep the card open, only charge a candy bar and a pop once a month, then pif when the bill comes.

I have 3 cards with CL's at $500 or under (one of which is Crap One). I've had the first card for 2 years, the second one (Crap One) for about 9 months, and the last one for about a few months. The question is, I really, really want to close all three since I've gotten much better CC's the last month or so. Will closing all of this affect my overall utilization?
02/17/2021: 654 (EX), 633 (EQ), 608 (TU)
12/8/2020: 668 (EX), 630 (EQ), 630 (TU)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.