peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: canceling all credit cards?

@lg8302ch wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:
I have a FICO score of 730 (without micromanaging) and I find that I spend too much when I have credit cards (not that I'm in debt or anything). Would I still have good FICO if I were to cancel all my cards? Thanks!

+1

I had more money when I was only using my Debit card and no credit cards.

This is the part I do not understand. It is just the method of payment that changed for me not the spending Smiley Surprised  On the contrary with cards I get some cash back with debit plain nothing...above statement is a mystery to me.

edit: make a budget, stay on that budget and then payment method does not change anything Smiley Happy

Even these days, most Debit cards have no Rewards. A plain no gain..

That's the only I love is the Miles, my average Monthly spending on credit cards goes up to $30,000.00 and I make sure it is paid off in full each Month.

I do believe in Credit but frankly, Credit sometime can be a headache.

So far no lender prevents the use of credit cards in the same way as debit cards...so simply get the rewards and do not pay attention to the word CREDIT ...think of it as DEBIT and  get these rewards ! 

Good point.

Message 21 of 34
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

peaceonearth wrote:

+1

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have found this has been true for me (albeit with a small sample size). I track everything on Quicken, including cash purchases.

Since my app spree 3 months ago and shift to using my credit cards to pay for basically everything except my mortgage, my overall spending has increased about 5.5%. I figured this out by comparing my avg monthly spending from July 2013- Feb 2014 (before cards) to March 2014- current. Part of that increase is due to trying to meet minimum spends on various cards.

I will be curious to see if this pattern (+5%) holds. So far the sample size is way too small to make any definitive statement. I PIF everything so I am attempting to use my CCs similarly to a debit card and rack up the rewards.
Message 22 of 34
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:
I have a FICO score of 730 (without micromanaging) and I find that I spend too much when I have credit cards (not that I'm in debt or anything). Would I still have good FICO if I were to cancel all my cards? Thanks!

^^^^

without going into the merits of canceling cards, and if it's something you are intent on doing, all other things equal, cancel the newest ones first and keep the oldest ones since average age of accounts (AAofA) affects your credit score. You said you wanted to cancel all cards, but I'd keep two since 1 if none and 2 is 1.

Closed accounts are calculated into the AAoA for 10 years. It does not matter which OP cancels first. 10 Years from now they may disappear but that will hardly mean anything if they cancel all their cards anyways. The smart thing is to keep non-AF cards open and use them periodically but it sounds like OP does not want that, even if the cards are cut up. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a good point to cancel non annual fee cards first if they do not add value.

In terms of AAofA, my advice was to keep two cc's, and those two cc's should be the oldest ones all other things equal, since older cc's are accretive to one's FICO. If the case is canceling ALL credit cards, then I'd agree AAoA becomes a moot point.

Message 23 of 34
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:
Would I still have good FICO if I were to cancel all my cards?

What non-credit card accounts do you have?  Even with other accounts, not in the long run.  General advice is 2-3 cards for optimal scoring.  Always keep this in mind:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Payment history will be retained as long as your closed accounts continue to report.  Utilization will take an immediate hit and it's the next biggest slice.  AAoA (length of credit history) should be fine until the closed accounts start to drop off.  Types of credit will also take a hit as closed accounts fall off.

You're better off working on improving your restraint unless you have no need for credit.  If you need to close everything aside from 2-3 cards then do so.  However, keep in mind that losing the available credit on the cards you close will impact your utilization.  Do the math before and after to determine the impact and to help you in your decision making.

Message 24 of 34
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Many say "Control your credit. Don't let it control you," but for some this is easier said then done. I'm glad that you are recognizing this issue BEFORE getting yourself into a high amount of debt. If it were me,( it appears that I may be headed down this same path). I would set up auto pay for a monthly bill (cable, electricity, phone, etc.) on each of my cards and cut the cards up. I would pay each card in full monthly before the statement cuts with the exception of 1. I suggest letting a balance report for 1 of the cards than pay it in full. With this scenario, I believe you would be doing what is in the best interest for your credit profile and yourself.

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 25 of 34
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I agree that you should keep a few and only use them to pay bills so that you keep for credit file information and can reap some rewards. Many years ago I got in trouble with cc's so I struggled to pay them off and closed all my accounts. I went to a cash/debit basis for almost 10 years because I thought I was doing the right thing. Unfortunately, it really hurt me. I ended up with no credit except one account that had not fallen off yet. I had to get a partially secured card and basically beg creditors for cards to start over. It's been a rough road getting to where I am today. Back when I closed everything, I thought I would never use/need credit again but as life changes, you will find you really need it whether it's needing a car, home, loan.....anything.
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 26 of 34
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:
@peaceonearth wrote:

+1

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have found this has been true for me (albeit with a small sample size). I track everything on Quicken, including cash purchases.

Since my app spree 3 months ago and shift to using my credit cards to pay for basically everything except my mortgage, my overall spending has increased about 5.5%. I figured this out by comparing my avg monthly spending from July 2013- Feb 2014 (before cards) to March 2014- current. Part of that increase is due to trying to meet minimum spends on various cards.

I will be curious to see if this pattern (+5%) holds. So far the sample size is way too small to make any definitive statement. I PIF everything so I am attempting to use my CCs similarly to a debit card and rack up the rewards.

Also true for me as well. 

Message 27 of 34
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:
@peaceonearth wrote:

+1

Also true for me as well. 

Eagle- I have read this is a true statement for many, which is why I am tracking my spending very closely (and will adjust if needed).  The credit card companies aren't dumb; they realize people are more apt to be looser with their spending using credit cards v. cash/checking account.  Whoever the cog was in the banking machine who thought of "reward" points/miles/cash ought to be a rich man/woman.  It's absolute genius.

While 5% extra spending may not seem like much, say your monthly spending is ~ $5000/month using cash (this is about what I spend).  Add 5% to that...$5250.  Multiply that extra $250/month by 12...that's an extra $3000/year that could be going to savings, IRA account, whatever but are instead going to cc purchases.  So it's not an insignificant amount of money.

Ultimately, my goal is to stay "even" using the cards while racking up the rewards.  But if I find that I am consistently spending 5% or more above cash spending, I may ramp down my card usage as well (pretty sure I will not earn $3000/year in rewards...lol!)

Message 28 of 34
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

OP, as others have already said, no, don't cancel all of them, bad idea.

With that said, I think you should keep your oldest credit card, put recurring bills on it, then SD it. Cancel the rest. Then open up a charge card and a LOC tied to your checking account. First of all, it's a hassle to book a room or rent a car with a debit card, so you want something to carry with you in emergencies. That's where the charge card comes in. You won't be as tempted to overspend on a charge card since you know you can't just extend payments later on (and be sure to reject all offers for Pay Over Time). And with a LOC, you only access it when you run out of money in the bank (assuming you're not tempted to use the convenience checks). 

That's 3 tradelines to maintain a good FICO with minimal temptation for impulse spending.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 29 of 34
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I am in process of canceling all CC's that won't grow with me which includes CapOne, GE and Chase.  I will still have 5 CC's at the moment, but don't care about score dip because I just paid off my vehicle and in process of paying cash for house in 4 years.  I will probably never need a credit score again for a loan.  I know I wouldn't never take out a mortgage.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.