Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: cap1 aa, they don't fool around lol

@arkanewrote:

@sjtwrote:

@redpatwrote:

@sjtwrote:

@UpperNwGuywrote:

A good argument for paying each of your credit card once a month after its statement cuts is that the statements will document your use of those cards.  Lenders will see your overall usage when they pull your data from the credit bureaus.  While AZEO may be a good technique for improving one's credit score, it doesn't necessarily help you with maintaining high credit limits.  I recommend using AZEO for a period of time, and then stop using it once the credit score has risen.

I dont think AZEO has anything to do with it because Cap1 has a record of all your transactions. 

What Cap1 is doing is basically reallocating CL to new or other accounts without increasing their liability. 

CO doesn't see your other accounts when the SP your reports.  As UNG said AZEO can have a negative impact for high limit cards and CLI.  CO doesn't see any credit usage.  AZEO is for the birds, IMO.

When a creditor does a SP, they can get the full report if they are pulling for an existing customer. A CR (Ive seen it on my TU reports) does show the highest balance (even within a cycle) and payment amounts. 

AZEO is a good technique for those who want to maximize their scoring potential (rebuilders and new to credit). For those who have long established credit and high credit scores, its not necessary.

I think it's all a moot point. The monthly statements document your actual usage regardless, and showing a 0 balance for a period of time only becomes an issue when a lender decides that they don't like seeing a 0 balance (potentially on other cards too) for whatever reason.

Now I don't know about you, but if a lender gave me a CLD because I wasn't "carrying enough balance on other cards", (or in other words, a 100% BS reason) I'd call them the same day and close the account. These are not lenders that I want to do any business with. If I'm using your card on a regular basis, how and when I decide to pay my balance is none of your business as long as I'm not late with my payments. How I use and pay my other cards is even less of your business as long as they're all current, so go stick your nose where the sun doesn't shine please. Smiley Happy

Well, that's my philosophy anyway, but I know that's not how it actually works in the real world. Smiley Sad

Exactly, you're looking at it from a 2D perspective. Not in the reality sense of 3D. Stores don't earn money on window shoppers. Same with these banks. I can only imagine what goes through a UWs head reviewing a CR with $50k in CLs and only $2 showing as the balance across 5 CCs. 😂 I don't believe telling them you practice AZEO is going to help that case.

At least give them hope that they can earn something off you one day. 😉

Not all banks report your total balances paid if you wipe it out before the statement cuts.

Some of that valuable information no one but that particular lender will see. That's ok if you plan to stick with just those lenders excluding Capitol One.

Their not looking for perfection. They are looking for people that use credit cards and use them a lot.

Message 71 of 110
Hex
Valued Contributor

Not to worry I pay the annual fee and use my Venture as my primary card. Has anyone ever had a CLD on a Venture Card that they have been activity paying an annual fee for? A Venture card that has stayed a Venture card?
Message 72 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a prudent move for them. They make money two ways. 1) People who are financially challenged and run balances and pay interest when using credit cards (which is most Americans) and 2) people who may not ever run balances or pay interest but use their cards for many and/or high dollar transactions. If you do neither, they have no reason to keep you open.

Message 73 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with those who say good business decision. It makes no sense to allow $35k credit line with no use or $11 Netflix charge. Open credit on cards is a lot of exposure to a bank. Fraud to say the least. I’ve seen a lot of cases of inactive high credit line cards getting into hands of an ingrate family memeber or fraudster and credit lines maxed out. Can’t blame cap 1 here
Message 74 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slightly off topic, but someone here may be able to advise me...

I have QS and Venture, 12K & 15K, and both are rarely used.  QS about two yrs old / Venture about six months old.  I have not paid a penny interest for both yet.    Suddenly I am getting those convenience, balance transfer checks every week for three weeks in a row.   
Could this be a prelude??

Message 75 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for your CL loss

Message 76 of 110
arkane
Established Contributor

@Gmood1wrote:

Exactly, you're looking at it from a 2D perspective. Not in the reality sense of 3D. Stores don't earn money on window shoppers. Same with these banks. I can only imagine what goes through a UWs head reviewing a CR with $50k in CLs and only $2 showing as the balance across 5 CCs. 😂 I don't believe telling them you practice AZEO is going to help that case.

Not all banks report your total balances paid if you wipe it out before the statement cuts.

Some of that valuable information no one but that particular lender will see. That's ok if you plan to stick with just those lenders excluding Capitol One.

Their not looking for perfection. They are looking for people that use credit cards and use them a lot.

No need to report total balances paid during the statement cycle as long as they report the (historic) high balance. If my high balance is >30% util on each of my open accounts, then whoever does the review understands there's at least the potential for me to run a lot through their cards. 

I understand the business aspect of it, but the way I see it, there are many lenders to choose from. Unless you offered something unique and a cut above the competition, I'm not going out of my way to appease you. If it doesn't make financial sense for me to put spend on your card that month, then I'm not running any charges through it period. Only exceptions I'd make would be for my oldest account and/or highest CL card, but luckily so far I've had no issues putting several hundred dollars through it every month just from organic spending on groceries and gas.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 77 of 110
Anonymous
Not applicable

The most common CO CLD that I've read about on this forum over the course of the last 6 months is from a >$10k limit down to exactly $10k.  In almost all cases the person that received the CLD either wasn't using the card much or was only putting a small amount of spend through, small enough that the CLD to $10k would still keep their utilization on the card in a good place.

Message 78 of 110
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@arkanewrote:

@Gmood1wrote:

No need to report total balances paid during the statement cycle as long as they report the (historic) high balance. If my high balance is >30% util on each of my open accounts, then whoever does the review understands there's at least the potential for me to run a lot through their cards. 

I understand the business aspect of it, but the way I see it, there are many lenders to choose from. Unless you offered something unique and a cut above the competition, I'm not going out of my way to appease you. If it doesn't make financial sense for me to put spend on your card that month, then I'm not running any charges through it period. Only exceptions I'd make would be for my oldest account and/or highest CL card, but luckily so far I've had no issues putting several hundred dollars through it every month just from organic spending on groceries and gas.

You've come to your own conclusion.  From your own words it seems that you've outgrown the usefulness of the card. There's nothing wrong with parting ways once the relationship is no longer fruitful for either.  As consumers, we don't have to get emotional about it or take it personal...it's just time to move on and clearly, you've outgrown the need to have CapOne in your portfolio of cards.

Sometimes credit, like people, are only meant to be in your life for a specific period of time.  Some are with you for the long haul and some are just a stepping stone to get you to the next level.  Just because the relationship is worth little value to each party involved doesn't make the consumer or the company bad...it just means it no longer makes sense to continue said relationship.  Appreciate the benefit that each has provided each other when the relationship was good and close the book on a happy ending.  Try not to let emotions come into play...I can assure you no one at a lender is sitting there just waiting for the right moment to ruin your day.  

Message 79 of 110
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well, shoot. Sorry for those that got hit Smiley Sad Hopefully your overall utilization was in check already when it happened so your scores won't take too bad of a hit.
Message 80 of 110
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.