Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one and soft pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

capital one and soft pulls

I just got off the phone with capital one senior advisor trying once again to get an increase which didnt happen but found out something interesting.

He told me that they also look at soft pulls on your credit to see how many you have had before giving credit increases.

I thought they could not see soft pulls? Atleast that is what it shows on equifax that only I would see that.

I asked him if he meant hard pulls and he said they look at both hard and soft???

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: capital one and soft pulls

Very interesting....I thought that was the distinction btw a hard and soft pull...I dunno.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

that would be interesting.  it's not our fault if our creditors check our reports often!  i know capital one & some others check my EX just about every month, sometimes twice a month!  i don't think it's fair that they should hold that against me (or anyone else).

Message 3 of 4
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got off the phone with capital one senior advisor trying once again to get an increase which didnt happen but found out something interesting.

He told me that they also look at soft pulls on your credit to see how many you have had before giving credit increases.

I thought they could not see soft pulls? Atleast that is what it shows on equifax that only I would see that.

I asked him if he meant hard pulls and he said they look at both hard and soft???

Maybe he meant hard pulls? A lot of CSRs don't understand the difference. It's my understanding that creditors cannot see soft pulls, which is why checking your credit doesn't hurt you. If they were able to see your softs and ding you for them, then daily monitoring or pulling of reports would be a big problem.

FWIW, Cap1 gave me a $5000 CLI on my Visa Platinum a couple of months ago. I have been rebuilding my credit, and as part of keeping track of how I'm doing, I subscribe to Equifax Complete, ZenDough (for TU) and Experian Plus. I pull daily on all three just to see how things have been progressing; I've enjoyed tracking my scores and watching them improve, and changes occurred frequently when I was paying down old debt. So, I have a LOT of softs on my reports. If what the CSR told you is correct, I find it hard to believe that they would have given me such a generous CLI.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.