Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one - which first: CLI request or product change request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

capital one - which first: CLI request or product change request

Thank you all for all I've learned from reading these forums. I'm rebuilding and the information learned here has been invaluable.

I have a simple question (I think) for which I haven't found an answer. I got the steps CLI for a Capital One Platinum card about a year ago (SL was $700, steps CLI to $1250) so I'm more than due for a CLI. Most of the time I just let autopay take care of things & PIF on the due date, but since I'm planning a CLI request, I'm monitoring what is reported until all my cards go through a full billing & reporting cycle. I'm using the AZEO method with the Cap1 as the "EO". All's well there. The other day I noticed I have an offer to upgrade the Platinum to a Quicksilver and I want to do that. I know the Platinum is just a subprime card and will never have a substantial CL, but it's my oldest card & I will keep it active with occasional small purchases and I may as well get Quicksilver's 1.5% CB.

The question is, if I do the upgrade before requesting the CLI, will I still be eligible for a CLI on the Quicksilver right away, or will the calendar reset so that I have to wait another six months. I think not, but wondered if anyone has personal experience.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: capital one - which first: CLI request or product change request

Product change will not affect CLI negatively.
Go ahead and request it, at least that way you can get some cash back
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding. I'll do just that.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to try for the increase and PC at the same time. If you do it over the phone. Ask for a CLI as you do the PC. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

, thanks for the suggestion. I've already done the product change so can't go that route this time. I'll report back if there is a problem with the CLI request that seems related to the product change timing. I won't request the CLI until I've had a chance to zero out the balances on my other cards, so another couple weeks.
Message 5 of 10
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Thanks for posting this Q. I'm in a very similar boat.

AU

Message 6 of 10
HHH71
New Contributor

I had the Cap1 platinum (2016), and over 3 years received 3 auto CLI's from initial $500 to $2,651. Today (2019) upgraded card to quicksilver, then minutes later requested CLI through on-line account manager. I requested $4,000 and got an instant approval. CL went to $6,651. It had been 12 mo. since last CLI, which was an automatic CLI. I spend about $2,000 a month and pay it off each month. Wonder if I should've requested more?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had basically no credit history except being an AU on another account that was two years old.  In January I got the Capital Platinum with $300 CL.  At the 5-month point in May, I was shocked to get a $3,000 CLI.   Once this CL increase posted, I applied (stupidly all on the same day) and was approved for Cap QS $300, PayPal $2500, Citi $2000, Discover $1500, Kohls $400, Target $300, WM $500.  Took a big hit because of all the inquiries and my "credit seeking" behavior of applying for too many cards at once.  But my score has slowly gone back up and I've been trying to get CLI on all these other cards but denied because of "short credit history."   My Cap QS will increase at the 5-month mark in October, so I'm curious what that will be.  This forum is a great 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had basically no credit history except being an AU on another account that was two years old.  In January I got the Capital Platinum with $300 CL.  At the 5-month point in May, I was shocked to get a $3,000 CLI.   Once this CL increase posted, I applied (stupidly all on the same day) and was approved for Cap QS $300, PayPal $2500, Citi $2000, Discover $1500, Kohls $400, Target $300, WM $500.  Took a big hit because of all the inquiries and my "credit seeking" behavior of applying for too many cards at once.  But my score has slowly gone back up and I've been trying to get CLI on all these other cards but denied because of "short credit history."   My Cap QS will increase at the 5-month mark in October, so I'm curious what that will be.  This forum is a great 

Well, you have about 10.5K total credit for a short history. I'd let that grow and CLs may grow on their own. Trying to go from A to Z without visiting the letters in between will only hurt your credit score. By waiting, you may find a card you really want down  the road and can go for it.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely agree with you.   But patience is not my best virtue, and it's hard to resist trying one more time!   Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.