cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cc conundrum- rebuilding credit after deactivated card.

tag
HalfandHalf

cc conundrum- rebuilding credit after deactivated card.

Sorry for the wall of text.. TLDR: Credit card got deactivated 2 years ago, never noticed because I don't use it, average fico of 586 with highest being 609 of equifax.  Need suggestions of where to apply..

Good evening everyone! 

So i recently found out that my Chase Mastercard of 11 years was closed due to inactivity.  I almost never use a CC--by almost never I mean it was closed in 2011 and I never noticed--so i decided to do some research tonight. 

It seems that being late on my mortage and auto loan from time to time has really hurt me.  As well as not having a credit card for almost 2 years.  I am down to an average of 586 with the scores as follows - Experian 568  Equifax 609 and TransUnion 581 pulled from MyFico tonight.  I also pulled my annualcreditreport tonight and noted that nothing was messed up, i indeed was unemployed this past year up until about six months ago and there were times that some things had to go 60 days.

My question is, where do I start now?  I have an 11 year credit history with Chase Mastercard.  I have had my mortgage for six years and my current auto loan for a year.  Any suggestions on what credit cards i should apply for?  I talked with capital one tonight and I fall under their "average" rating from a brief discussion with them via box chat.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Half and Half

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: cc conundrum- rebuilding credit after deactivated card.

@HalfandHalf wrote:

Sorry for the wall of text.. TLDR: Credit card got deactivated 2 years ago, never noticed because I don't use it, average fico of 586 with highest being 609 of equifax.  Need suggestions of where to apply..

Good evening everyone! 

So i recently found out that my Chase Mastercard of 11 years was closed due to inactivity.  I almost never use a CC--by almost never I mean it was closed in 2011 and I never noticed--so i decided to do some research tonight. 

It seems that being late on my mortage and auto loan from time to time has really hurt me.  As well as not having a credit card for almost 2 years.  I am down to an average of 586 with the scores as follows - Experian 568  Equifax 609 and TransUnion 581 pulled from MyFico tonight.  I also pulled my annualcreditreport tonight and noted that nothing was messed up, i indeed was unemployed this past year up until about six months ago and there were times that some things had to go 60 days.

My question is, where do I start now?  I have an 11 year credit history with Chase Mastercard.  I have had my mortgage for six years and my current auto loan for a year.  Any suggestions on what credit cards i should apply for?  I talked with capital one tonight and I fall under their "average" rating from a brief discussion with them via box chat.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Half and Half

Welcome to the forum

First visit the rebuilding forum and read up on GW=good will letters maybe if you have shown improvement on the mortgage and car this may help.

Since you have no baddies other than the lates I would suggest a secured card for 6 months and then apply after your scores climb some more. What's hurting now are the late payments.

CAP1 may approve you now but it will be a low limit and 3 HP's = hard pulls

one from each CB=credit bureau and if you haven't applied for any credit recently this may be an option vs the secured card

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 25
HalfandHalf

Thanks for the reply and sorry for posting in the wrong forum!   I have gotten pre-approval letters from cap1 last month for their plat card.  I appreciate your input!

Thanks for the help

Message 3 of 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HalfandHalf wrote:

Thanks for the reply and sorry for posting in the wrong forum!   I have gotten pre-approval letters from cap1 last month for their plat card.  I appreciate your input!

Thanks for the help

No your in the right forum for CC"S but I want you to get the best of all worlds that MyFico offers...

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 25
HalfandHalf

I appreciate it!  I think my game plan is to apply for the cap1 card, if I get denied I will just work on paying my auto/mortage off on time.  I alsp am in a financial situation where I can apply a significant amount of money monthly towards my principle balance, which i will most likely use to pay off the auto loan since my student loans are a tax write off. 

do you think chase would take into account I had 11 years with only 2 late payments with them?  I also always paid off my entire balance with them each month other than 2 months.  Should i take a risk and apply for a chase card?

Message 5 of 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HalfandHalf wrote:

I appreciate it!  I think my game plan is to apply for the cap1 card, if I get denied I will just work on paying my auto/mortage off on time.  I alsp am in a financial situation where I can apply a significant amount of money monthly towards my principle balance, which i will most likely use to pay off the auto loan since my student loans are a tax write off. 

do you think chase would take into account I had 11 years with only 2 late payments with them?  I also always paid off my entire balance with them each month other than 2 months.  Should i take a risk and apply for a chase card?

Chase is picky and by your account being closed for 2 years and lates afterwards its hard to say weather they will take your past experience into account....They are recon friendly tho

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 25
HalfandHalf

Ok!  Sounds good to me.  I am going to talk to my buddy that works for Cap1 in the morning about it as well. I think regardless I am in a decent position to build my credit score up, I will have to do research to see how long I should wait to apply again if I am denied from Cap1, with just paying on my three current loans, house, auto and student.

Message 7 of 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HalfandHalf wrote:

Ok!  Sounds good to me.  I am going to talk to my buddy that works for Cap1 in the morning about it as well. I think regardless I am in a decent position to build my credit score up, I will have to do research to see how long I should wait to apply again if I am denied from Cap1, with just paying on my three current loans, house, auto and student.

Try the GW's sometimes they can bring scores up in a hurry if successful. It can't hurt...... really This may be all you need to open all the doors to prime lenders again

Chase Discover Amex Barclay Citi

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 25
HalfandHalf

I should have taken screen shots of the dates of whent he late payments were so I could give them dates.  Do you think I should attempt a GW with my old chase mastercard even though it was closed by them?

Message 9 of 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HalfandHalf wrote:

I should have taken screen shots of the dates of whent he late payments were so I could give them dates.  Do you think I should attempt a GW with my old chase mastercard even though it was closed by them?

The lates should be listed on the annualcredit report you got if you saved a copy.

GW won't help in opening an old account it may help if you apply are denied ...recon denied again...recon denied again ...then I would try a GW to EO=executive offices

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.